NHS

Health Care Advisor60 reviews
United Kingdom60 reviews

Found 60 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,942 reviews

Hard work long hours

I worked for 111 NHS for over 1 year and loved it. However the calls got more demanding and the hours was effecting me also, and it started to effect my mental health. I did 4 days on and had 4 days off. 8pm-7am. I was dismissed due to gross misconduct as it showed in my job, which shouldn’t of happened and instead maybe had some time off. I just wished the NHS actually supported me instead of just getting rid of me.

Could be better

The workplace wasn’t too bad, however, if your face fits you’ll get favouritism over the other people who work twice as hard. There is no problem solving either. If someone has an issue with you the managers just tell you to keep away from each other. There’s hardly any recognition either.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

You’re expected to work 3 weekends of out 4

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Unprofessional, not stable

Managers arrogant, unhelpful, was promised 3 months, but let go after 2 weeks without any notice. Not good if u have bills to pay and family to support. They should give more notice before letting go, allowing time to find another job

Great Team

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Mass Vaccination Team. Everyone pulled together. The work life balance was good and there was the satisfaction of doing an amazing job.

Stressful bur rewarding

Rewarding when dealing with patients. Can be stressful. Competitive rate of pay. Remote working advantageous around home work balance. Plenty of work available.

Stressful but can be rewarding

Fast paced call taking, can be rewarding when you feel you have genuinely helped someone. The job can be stressful, especially when it feels like management are breathing down your neck. If your face fits you can do what you want but if it doesn't they're on you all the time.

Flexible, stressful, and isolating

The best part of the job is the hours, you can be flexible and sometimes change your shift very late notice for emergencies, the hours are 24/7, so you may be working graveyard shifts.Due to the staff turnover, job security is good, and there are plenty of opportunities for overtime. The job can be very stressful, the training is advertised as a 10 week course, when in reality it is 2 weeks in a classroom and the rest is partially supervised call taking. You are taught how to navigate through a pathway system, and taught what to do in life threatening situations such as cardiac arrests (rare but do happen). Even though the job requires no medical training, you are expected to have some form of medical knowledge.Because of this, the pressure of the job is very high, you are usually working outside of your limits.Management seem to be oblivious as to what is happening on the floor, e.g asking why average call handling time has gone up, but not taking into account the lack of staff, so for example calling a team leader for advice, it can take 3 mins to get through, which doesn’t seem much, but adds up.Clinicians can sometimes be very rude when consulting for advice, you are expected to have medical knowledge.There is a lack of support for difficult calls, you are given laminated cards to hold up in an emergency, which results in a senior member of staff helping you, there have been many times when staff hold up the cards and senior members of staff stare, as if they are from another planet. After a call you are told to take 5 minutes and get a cuppa - not always appropriate. -

Stressful and lonely

Wasn't too bad when I started, but then people started dropping like flies and the service demand kept rising. There is such a high turnover of staff in Health Advisors. Managers need to take a step back and actually realise how hard it is doing this job day to day.The line 'no two days are the same' really does not apply to this role. The days are the same, you just don't know what you'll get at the other end of the phone. Out of 20+ people in my training group, now there is less than 10. Some have left due to mental health reasons, management and finding better roles. There is job security here, if you last that long. Not much scope for development, there's secondments here and there, but it's few and far between. Please really think long and hard before applying to 111.

Pros

Good pay, NHS discounts

Cons

Long hours, No work/life balance, Lonely working environment, No chance of booking annual leave unless you book a year in advance, and even then you might not get it, managers constantly on your back, Little chances for development.

Worthy job

Fast paced but worthy post, On the face of it they really care about you, I’ve found management good, Very accommodating re flexible working, Team Leaders can be brilliant , Clinicians can be so helpful

Pros

Flexible Good on the floor management

Cons

Poor pay for what we do, turnover of staff is horrendous, Some very silly people work there, if I hear about one more problem with s**t on the floor of a WC I will scream, Come on people grow up, 999 belittle 111

Good for what it is

I’m a health advisor in the NHS 111 call centre. Training is good, colleagues are great, but management are biased, have favourites and overall need a lot more management training. It gets VERY BUSY at times, so if you like shifts to go by in a blink then this is for you.

Pros

Fast paced

Cons

Low salary

Under appreciated

Call centre job. Answering phones and repeating the same laborious script up to 40 odd times per shift. Under appreciated by the majority of the public, despite best efforts to help them. Also under appreciated by management.

Avoid !

High staff turn over. First day I started, other staff warned me not to work here. Not many people complete the training and start work here, they leave when they see what a mess it is. Avoid !

Pros

Some nice people, different shifts.

Cons

Stressful, unorganised, unfriendly managers. Pressure to work longer than your shift. People leave quickly.

Poor Management, very “clique-y “ environment

Senior Management (band 7 & above) don’t practice an open door policy and like to stay in their office not to be seen on the “shop floor”. Senior management is not hands on and often questions stay unanswered. Very abrupt and short when you have to calling in sick/ unable to work. Don’t make you feel valued or appreciated. The teams within the department are very much separated/everyone stays in their group and if you mix with other people of a different speciality e.g. sit with them for lunch, you get questioned by colleagues why are you doing so and you should join “ your “ group. All in all hard environment to establish yourself and “ fit in”.

Pros

Pension, Schemes, Good equipment, Fair work allocation

Cons

Management, Parking cost, no appreciation, management team have their “ favourites”

Poorly managed

The place is poorly managed and there is a lack of communication with no one knowing what is going on. It’s a very lonely place to work and very dull and can be very stressful. If you can’t get through to management for help, you’re completely stuck.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, lonely

Micromanaged, managers have delusion of grandeur

Good training, interesting work but the job is let down by being too micromanaged by managers. I was asked why I was in the toilet for 3 minutes!Hard to feel part of a team when there are so many staff, some you only see occasionally, and you are not permitted to talk to each other as you are watched by managers constantly, some of whom have a god complex.They aren't interested in those who show initiative.They are only interested in you progressing if you can commit to 24/7 working, which is not possible for those with caring responsibilities. Shame they are not very forward thinking in terms of flexible working.Worked there for a year, and hated it 99% of the time

Pros

Shift enhancements, interesting work

Cons

Zero progression unless you can work 24/7, monitored toilet breaks, huge call centre which is very impersonal, micromanaged

A rewarding role, but very underpaid

For this role, you need no soul, you work long hours and the pay is shocking. You get abused over the telephone, and nothing ever get done about it. Unlike the rest of the NHS, 111 do t seem to be included on the no abuse policy.The management is very poor, you are put under pressure to take as management calls as possible, and as quick as possible. There is no support when the health advisors after taking a challenging call... I.e. a CPR call, you raise a card and it can take a Team Leader a long time to come and help you, ifYou are lucky.The environment is very toxic, very clicky .. and everyone seems to be sleeping with each other, including have a quicky in the disabled toilet.. this happens a far too often...The service receive a large % of calls that should be sent to 999, but 111 have to be able to give life saving advice.The training is very intense, they are trying to teach you to be a clinician, but with the qualifications or pay. The clinical team leaders speak to like something your stood in, and they complain when you are asking a medical question, they most of them saying you should know this... emmm no, I’m not a nurse.. YOU ARE!

Pros

Cons

Poor pay, undervalued

Productive, always learning

Constant training, not enough time to recover during calls especially distressing ones, not enough colleagues to take calls during the night and days get more communication

Pros

Get to help people

Cons

No job security even after putting in your best. The hours were limited. I have always wanted to help patioents by guiding them through whatever training I was given.

Isnt the best place

The colleagues are great, the H.A friends I made are life long friends even some managers too. However some managers have let the power take over their life and speak to you badly. Any issues its usually your fault and any problems you're lead to believe you've made them up. Its not often your holidays get approved off yet they beg you to help them out with taking extra shifts or slide your shifts to suit them better. Your Team manager is usually your only person in power you can count on and they are mainly all good and easy going along with some shift managers. Anyone higher than them dont even look at you forget associate with you. Health advisors are all good to be around though.

Pros

Pays well. Anyone on your level in terms of role are great people. Patients are usually nice too.

Cons

Draining environment at times and toxic.

Basic

The company has a lot of different kinds of workers. Some good workers and some lazy. The management needs to be fair and not just the same little bubble if people. They need to give other people a chance of getting a higher role.

Awful place to work

Work for nhs 111 Peterborough, management are awful and only care about themselves. Money is ok and pension is good other than that rubbish and wouldn’t bother.

Pros

Good wage

Cons

Everything else

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement