NHS

United Kingdom261 reviews

Found 261 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

It’s ok

Nothing special but good work ethic from the team I work in, management ok but if want to ask something feel a bit put out, as they always busy, no proper staff room, but friendly and caring colleagues

Tougher than what they want you to believe.

Honestly, I was able to enjoy part of the job cause I already am a people person and always enjoyed volunteering so I hang in there for the patients and ignored the nonsense but, you really need thick skin to be a HCA at this hospital. Also need to take good care of yourself, or the environment, long shifts pattern and coworkers will mess up your mental health when you need it the most to be competent on your duties as a carer. Challenging enough. We can’t give care if we are not cared for, that’s KEY and unfortunately there was nothing like that for HCA’s. It feels as if you are invisible, not to mention the payment is extremely low for what we do and go through, plus the risks it involves. If (like me) you can focus on the positive impact you are having on the patients, that will keep you going most of the times. But my advice, do not accommodate or stay there too long... There is no sense of fulfilment when nothing you do matters from the people you work for perspective’s. That place eats you up from the inside.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,235 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Poorly under paid and unappreciated

Management don't care about staffThere is alot of hierarchy in the nhs rde You are worth nothing and always looked down on. Pay is unfair. Health care assistant gets paid same as a cleaner and postman. Even though responsibilities and risks are alot higher. You get shouted at by nurses cause you ask them a question and its not there patient or you get blatantly ignored. They stop and look at you then turn around and walk away. They pretend you aren't there even when they are stood in the way. When you go and complain Management just throw it under the carpet and don't bother taking it any further.

Good place to work as a team

Lots of benefits, huge amounts of staff lots of interesting places to work, can progress if you get in the right department, you will make lots of friends. Flexible working available

Too long hours

The hours are too long, the help is not there from management when you need it. The other staff are amazing, it's the office & senior staff that are no good.

Beneficial

You learn lifelong valued skills within healthcare.If you are in the right team it can be very enjoyable to work. Some teams often have clicks especially from the older the staff. If the team is good it makes your day much better

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Work load, stress

Hard work and poor work culture

You will genuinely be worked to the bone. If you stop working people think your lazy, so keep moving. There won't ever be enough staff to cover the shift so expect to be stressed. You won't get paid your breaks, so you will be there 12.5 hours. Sitting down is a luxury, so invest in some good trainers. Moral is low at the moment, but the staff try to keep themselves going. There's potential to be a great workplace, but unfortunately, due to short staffing, over running of services, pressures from public and not so perfect pay for quite a large skill set. You might find yourself hitting burn out quickly. Take care of your mental health and keep life balanced and this is a very manageable work place. That's if you can over look the above anyway. If you're quite a passionate person and invest yourself into your workplace. I don't think the NHS is the right place to be at this moment in time.

It can be better if giving a listening ears

I would still put NHS first point of working contacts and experience before any other. Because of the different challenges you have to deal with each day. And also knowing and appreciate how beautiful and special it is to make a huge difference in implementing possibilities and positive life by one's emphatic sence of humour

Bank worker

I have been in the bank for the NHS in Wales for around 8 years. If you want to be treated as more than a number this isn't the role for you. I enjoy the variety of shifts and that I get to pick up when I want to work.Management is awful! They talk to you as if they stepped in somthing nasty. They have little to no respect and the communication is shocking!If it wasn't for the flexibility I would have walked out a long time ago.

Pros

Choose own hours

Cons

Get moved from where you wanted to work, management very poor, no respect, short staffed all the time

Very hard busy job

Some the staff are nice but some of them are not nice to work with no friendly rude not polite and very busy hard work not good for friendship and help patients a lots because you haven’t go time .

Pros

Not nice place to work

Cons

Very long hours and very busy place to work to

A profession not to be in if you are chasing money

Good days and bad days as with any job but satisfactionWorkplace environment can be toxic and difficult to be in Pay is definitely not reflective of job roles

Pros

Generous annual leave

Cons

Long hours, basic pay, stressful

Management took everything and gave little back

The management took what they could and gave as little back as possible. There was no support from the ward manager and he had his own agenda. Poor pay for the pound of flesh.

I am a current employee at BTHFT since 2015. I have worked on the ward as a peamnent HCA. I currently work at adult outpatient at st Luke's hospital. To keep ward skills I occasionally go on wards when I can through internal staffBank.There is plenty opportunities to enhance your career depending what level you would like to go upto.

Pros

Free uniform, medical, clinical training

Cons

Longer hours

Don't work here

Being taken for granted,nothing ever changed nothing was either right or good enough bad management treat people with mental problems the same as people with normal sickness.

Pros

Annual leave

Avoid.. Too stressful.. Not enough staff to help train...

Massively under staffed.No training.Thrown straight in...yea sometimes that helps but not when you have no clue and people's lives are at the helm.I had no clue what I was doing and was pretty much left to it despite things needing to be done and my asking repeatedly what they wanted me do.... Shadowing none existent as no staff. I don't think this is just happening here I think it's going on in lots of places and it's very very wrong.Senior staff dissappear alot and have no interest in helping if you are new.Went 9 hours before a proper break, when I eventually got time to ask someone if I could go for break they said why am I asking them? Laughable! Wonder why people leave!

Magement structure needs change!

Currently looking to leave this Trust. It is run like a big factory, and your working within it! The more you do, the more they expect you to do.. (2 out of 10)

Very busy, can be rewarding

Big bonus is a lot of annual leave time during a year which is very helpful when you have got kids at school age and half term break coming so often. You can get a lot of support from people working permanently in wards. Most of the time wards are very busy day and night . Short staff during shift is a common problem. Not enough appreciation from management for working hard in stressful environment with not enough staff around.

Stressful, fast paced,

I would not recommend working here to anyone. It's stressful and you will often end up looking after 12 or more patients due to staff shortages. Avoid

Fast space, never appreciated

8:30 start pick up you work, make visits, see if any visits before you stop for lunch. Out again after lunch. Back to base finish at 4:30 if no emergencies came which could be bloods or dressing or dropping items to patients. The hardest part of the job was not being appreciated by management. You would go above and beyond what you were asked to do.I loved my job and the patient’s would come first and with a lot of the patients we may have been their only visits. Once you lost your usefulness you were out and not treated very nice. Stabbed in the back.

Pros

No pros apart from training

Cons

Challenging and fun workplace.

Working at St George hospital gives me a lot of experience. Exposing me to the different nature of job. It helps me to grow as an individual. Especially during covid at the first outbreak, I was deployed to a different ward to help out them. It was a rewarding moment, that extends your hand to someone who needs more care at a difficult time.

Pros

Good staff

Cons

Long hours plus night

Stressful

Training and induction not adequate, left to learn from colleagues who don't really care if you do things right or not. If you want to get on then you can't do things right.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Healthcare Assistant
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?