NHS

Nursing Assistant108 reviews
United Kingdom108 reviews

Found 108 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Overall a good place to work

Training is always provided and constantly refreshed. Most staff are lovely and helpful, breaks are given fairly. However very very busy, sometimes lack of home/work balance and not paid enough for what you go through

a very stressful place to work

NHS is a place to work, your first week at work is very interesting because you have to interact with people from different background and culture, but apart from that, nothing good about working in NHS, full of bullying, discrimination, intimidation and stressfull.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,235 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Enhanced payments the only good thing

No support through management. They preach staff well being but will swap you from day shifts to night shifts weekly with no in between. If you ask for any stability for shifts you get none. You get paid less that a care home wage for a HCA other than for nights and sundays. It’s the most stressful job and not worth the money. They say they will support you through courses however no one will do that.

Duty of care always provided

Very good service friendly environment nice place to work always team players and very happy working within the nhs alway happy to help with any problems and the care is at a very high level

Pros

Pensions

Cons

Shifts to suit

Unless you have previous experience, avoid

I worked in a psychiatric hospital within the NHS, first day I was paired with another person and told to follow them and watch what they do. Second day I was given a radio and alarm and left on my own on a male ward, no training given, no managers present and no one came to check I was OK. Definitely would not recommend unless you have previous training for restraint etc.

I abs love being part of #teamrdash it's the best job I've ever had & the majority of the staff are fantastic 🤩

Fantastic place of work ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Wonderful Staff ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Lots of opportunities to progress, go permanent, learn on the job. Hrs are very flexible, work tht fits round life, plenty of it. Bank workers treat equally & the same as permanent staff. You really feel you're making a difference to people's lives.

Pros

Work tht fits round life, as opposed to life tht fits round work, I love it 🥰

Cons

Good experience but no well treated

Nursing assistants are treated so badly. Constantly being changed wards without asking. Nurses don’t want to help. Lucky if you actually have a good team that is supportive! Underpaid and understaffed! Shifts switch between nights and days with sometimes only a day off between!Can be a good day if you have a good team. Always plenty of overtime as long as you don’t mind being moved around all the time!

Mersey don't care

For a mental health Trust they don't care about mental wellbeing of staff and are losing great staff everyday...they find jobs in filing cabinets for retired staff and should be looking at new staff and future

Pros

Cons

Long hours No respect No work life balance

Very fast paced work.

Can be very mentally and physically tireing. Unfortunately not all management are nice and you rarely see them unless they are telling you that you’ve done something wrong. Rarely given any thanks. Alot of wards can find there are seperation between nurses and nursing assistants and this causes issues. On a positive note all of the nursing assistants and a good majority of nurses are lovely and work together well.

Fast paced with good teamwork

I’ve been working here since April and what makes the job is your colleague and the patients you get to work with. It’s lovely seeing a poorly patient progress throughout their stay and how much of an impact the entire team has. A great thing about working here is going on the bank and getting the option to try other wards which broaden your skill set.

Pros

Friendly colleagues

Cons

Pay

Long hours but great staff

Long hours don't feel supported at times draining but the staff are friendly . If you want to progress you get set backs but I'd say overall good hospital

Disappointing management

Working on wards in the HSS could be challenging at times but working alongside excellent staff made the job easier. Unfortunately once you get to the management structure you see a Culture of bullying cover up with the excuse of incompetence by fellow management. This on my opinion is why so many staff leave or retire. Having freedom to speak up guardians with no powers is a pointless exercise. If people are not competent they should be removed from their positions.

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Long hours weekend working

Dangerous and under valued

Due to poor staffing working in secure services has become extremely dangerous, we are under paid for the risk we put ourselves in each day. Management seem satisfied with a quick turn over of staff.

Pros

Some great collegues

Cons

Out of touch management, dangerous staffing levels, HCA under valued

Poor working environment

Bank staff don't get a payrise, I had one week off in 15 months to help during covid, Bank staff are not thanked just used. Its not what you know it's who you know and it stinks.

very busy in medical wards

Some departments are busier than others so it all depends where you are allocated.There is opportunity to gain new skills And develop a new career as a nursing associate or even nursing.

Pros

extra pay for overtime, nights or weekends. around 7 weeks annual leave

Cons

Long hours, patients can be very challenging

Rf hampstead

Nice place to work, career progression. I would say better than nursing home! You have protective break. some wards are very busy especially the general/ medical wards and geriatric, which is not fair to other wards/ department paying the same rate some other wards are overstaff of nurses and also some wards are not welcoming to a newbie or bank staff!

Pros

Career progression

Cons

Long hours, very busy in other wards

Questionable

No support from management, strict sickness policy and if your sick more then twice in a year you get dismissed despite working with all infection ect

Pros

Speaking to people, helping people

Cons

Long hour, no support from staff, management clicky, low pay, frowned apon to not marry the job and give up everything for it

decent pay

good pay, nice colleagues, but you’re not told how to do anything. left after a month. managers are amazing though, very supportive and understanding

Pros

friendly staff and good pay

Cons

long hours and rude nurses

Experience builder

Really comment on the management because I never saw any of them. The ships were different the teams were different the job was the same in different sites.There was some cultures formed in different areas yet claiming to do the same thing so it was confusing moving around. The people seem to dictate how things went in different places so you had to be flexible to blow with the wind otherwise you were targeted.The wages seemed pretty much fair enough benefits I didn't really look into but you did have to be really careful when working across different sites.What happens in one postcode stays in one postcode.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Challenging staff dynamics

Homerton University hospital

It has been my pressure working with Homerton University hospital London since . I have gain more experience and knowledge with patients daily activities and well being in every day life style. With the experience so far. Which motivated me push my career in adult nursing since September 2019. Which I have find interesting carer so far. And I'm happy to achieve my dreams soon.

Pros

Long day shirt

No management support. Chaotic. Some staff left to do most of the jobs whilst others stay in the office. Health and safety not followed.

Lack of staff so always at risk. Poor management skills. Bullying culture. Click. Depressing. Some patients get priority with activities as they are more magable.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement