NHS

Physician34 reviews
United Kingdom34 reviews

Found 34 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,930 reviews

Good and bad

The good - you actually have a secure job, with benefits, NHS pension. The philosophy of the NHS as a free healthcare provision at point of need is beautiful.Cons - the NHS is a congested system. Probably free healthcare getting too loftier a goal to reach. Or probably intentional jeopardising of the system by people in high places. Trickles down to a place filled with stifling bureaucracy, poor job satisfaction and low pay.

Excellent job security

Great organization with excellent job security.Each day gave me an opportunity to learn something new in the field of medicine.Patients experienced high wait times. However, staff did try their best to alleviate this challenge by going above and beyond to ensure patient satisfaction.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,459 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Good

Loved my job at NHS good work life balance, security, good pay, would recommend to family and friends if you can apply go for it look for jobs on oriel or nhs jobs

Nhs

I think most people know what it is like to work for nhs. Job is secure, pay is ok but could be better given the skill needed, colleagues are great and an enjoyable job most of the time.

It is an ok place to work Lovely employees but very busy

This job can be very stressful. High patient demand and high workload but the job is also very rewarding. There are many different staff member so you never feel alone

Pros

Work culture

Cons

Long hours High workload

Junior doctors

I believe in the NHS but management are far too removed from clinical work to justify their need and pay. Too often patients and staff are forgotten about and are chastised for not filling paperwork so we end up staying later than what we are paid.Pro:PensionJob securityCons:Minimal supportUnderpaidOverworked

Cons

Long hours Underpaid

Non productive, non supportive job place

A chaos of management and communication, dishonest environment. A lot of promises with no commitment. A big huge gap between workers and management,

Dreadful

The NHS is outdated, unfriendly and does not value its employees. There is a culture of not challenging underperformance and of letting staff take on more and more without resources or support.

Pros

I can’t think of any

Cons

Hierarchy, lack of innovation, failure to adapt to change

Nhs doc

Day to day challenges as expected. Main issues are a result of poor management from the top down. Be wary of the occasional bullies but truthfully speaking, the same work politics apply wherever you go.

Difficult but rewarding

Two years spent as a junior doctor in the NHS. The pay for the first 2/3 years really isn't great, but the trajectory for earning is very good, with consultants/GP's making over 90K. However, if you want a decent work-life balance, a feeling of being appropriately financially rewarded for your performance, and perks/bonuses, the NHS is not for you.

Supportive

Relaxed atmosphere . Supportive management. Team working Healthy politics . Blame culture. Negatives highlighted disproportionately than positives. Hard to please never one.

no summary available

i don't want to state my opinion this should be confidential random stuff just to publish this comment typical work day very busy management does what is best for the hospital

Not a good place to work even as a locum

I have worked there for a period to realize that it is a service driven hospital which is barely getting by. The general environment is demoralising and the rates are not even competitive. As a registrar they will pay you 50£/hr and you will notice that most nurse practitioners from agencies would be getting about 42-45£/HR. So, in all honesty avoid at all costs.

It’s very good

Very good and you can always rely on the trustworthy nhs to give you the help you need and all of the staff and doctors here at the nhs will be happy to help you in any way you wish.

Good Training Scheme

Foundation doctors will enjoy training here. Excellent support for juniors. There are plenty of opportunities to build a CV you can be proud of and many seniors will help you along the way.

Something fishy in human resources

Useless HR. They were happy with me as long as i worked for a pittance as a locum doctor After 2years, realised my locum payment was much less than the bank shifts rates. When i tried to enroll for bank shifts thinking that it would be cheaper for them to not have to pay for my agency commission, they dallied for 6months, then booted me out for poor communication!

Tedious place to work

Demoralised workforce with ever increasing demands but lower pay. Management is usually incompetent and money wasting. 2 main reason why I left my NHS job to be a freelancing doctor

Pros

Supposedly pension benefits

Cons

Long Hours less money

High pressure working environment

Working in the NHS is high pressured but very rewarding. Leighton Hospital is a friendly environment with hardworking, dedicated staff. I have worked there for 6 years.

Hospital doctor

Hospital focus mainly on service provision. Little regard for training and development opportunities. Lack of resources. However, colleagues were great and generally very supportive.

Hillingdon hospital is a great place to learn. Have been lucky to do most of my clinical placements here. The consultants are very willing to teach students. There are numerous teaching sessions organised, either in the mornings before start of the shift or at lunch time. You also learn alot during ward rounds. Consultants are also happy for students to sit-in during outpatient clinics or shadow them doing clincical procedures such as surgery, endoscopy, scanning etc. Patients don't mind students sitting in during their consultations in the outpatient clinics as well as observing them during the ward rounds. Most patients are happy for students to go back after the ward rounds and take histories as well as examin them which is wonderful since we dont get such opportunities in the university to see actual pathologies. As a student I feel have learnt and still learning alot here. I would recommend Hillingdon hospital to other potential students.

Pros

Learning opportunities

Cons

Bully junior doctors - some, not all

Good

Typical DGH - good team & sufficient senior support. The general area that WGH covers is relatively vast so there is a wide variety of patients that you will come across - as a junior within my profession this is perfect to ensure continuous learning!

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement