NHS

United Kingdom301 reviews

Found 301 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Nursing

Sadly short staffed, under appreciated. No opportunity to progress. I do enjoy looking after my patients and a lot of the staff are lovely, amazing nurses.

Pros

Caring for patients

Cons

Not appreciated

Rewarding but stressful

There is no surprise working within the NHS can be stressful with staff shortages and minimum resources, however, it is a rewarding job with a lot of opportunities to progress. Nursing can lead you to many different avenues, ward nursing is not the only option.

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Horrible

Horrible place to work, bullying culture. Lots of room for progression but jobs are given based on who you know not what you know. Staff are not appreciated at all, never praised when doing well but management are quick to point fingers when things not so good.

Pros

good annual leave after a few years. good pension

Cons

Overworked. Underpaid

Nhs

Working in the NHS as a nurse is hard for everyone, which everyone will understand. Nurses are underpaid and the NHS is understaffed which puts increased pressure on nurses.

Good place

Many learning experiences. Supported by managers and training opportunities. Time for reflection and feedback on performance. Good notice for your off duty and staff are hands-on.

flexibility but stressful

stressful and underpaid, some benefits such as flexibility of working pattern. management can sometimes be difficult, colleagues are generally helpful

Awful

Poor pay, poor conditions, worked to the bone.More and more responsibility given to staff with no regards for quality of care.Staff are moved around continuously, PIN numbers at risk by working un unfamiliar areas.Patient care is abysmall, you can't do what you need to do as staff ratios have fallen to an unsafe level.

Overworked and understaffed. Good holidays and days off

Due to systemic failures within the NHS at top management and government level, staff retainment is poor and the remaining staff are over worked and pay does not daily represent the responsibility.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Long hours, stressful, toxic culture

Such a hard environment to work in.

Could be a nice place to work if staff were allowed to do their work.You have to have rules, regulations but it is taken too far.Far too many rules and chiefs.The environment is so tense and uptight staff can't relax.To the point staff cannot even have any banter the policies and procedures are so restrictive.It's got to be work hard the entire time always look busy.So many tick lists and charts there is hardly any time to talk to the patients.Can be pulled for upto 3 meetings a day to just talk nonsense in front of boards that band 6s have wasted time decorating.It all needs to go back to basics where we concentrate on giving patients good care.Staff turn over is huge as they are fed up of being nik picked at by chiefs that turn up with clipboards checking everything.The accountability is huge the care has gone out of nursing now its all about paperwork to cover yourself.And you are made liable for everything the difference in how staff and patients are treated is incredible.Patients believed over staff no matter what.The no tolerance policy is rubbish on some wards staff are attacked and nothing is done as they don't want the complaints.Staff at fault for everything the way patients are spoken to compared to staff couldn't be more different.Staff can be spoken to like rubbish and patients can do anything and are spoken to with complete kindness at all times.And people wonder why the NHS is short staffed.There are jobs with more pay and less responsibility out there.Only upsides are most of the patients are nice and thankful and some staff are lovely but are -

Stressful but goodGood colleagues Great satisfaction.Sometimes busy but at other times reasonably quiet.Patients are variable in their levels of gratitude but then you are there to offer a service

Great

Great company to work for. Stressful at times but the support is there if you need it. Good progression options and encouraged to continue your development.

stressful and underpaid

underpaid, underappreciated. long and unsociable hours. understaffed, so nurses have to move to other hospitals leaving their own ward understaffed. no one knows what’s going on.

No progression for part time employees

In my area there is no opportunity to advance if you are part time staff. Long shifts rarely finish on time. Chronic shortage of staff. Low staff morale.

Stressful but rewarding

An exciting place to work, able to push yourself to succeed. Management are great, very supportive and kind. The job is very challenging and requires lots of team work. Overall, a satisfying job that is very rewarding.

No support. No training on electronic medication system

Patients are not at the centre of what you do as they should be. Tick box exercises for audits are the most important factor. Patients left over a hour waiting for analgesia. Poor training and support from management. Dementia patients moved rooms multiple times in a week.

It's an ok place to work

It's an ok place to work but could be better for sure, but couldn't all hospitals and places of work. I'm at the point where I just come to work do my job to the best of my ability, and give the highest standards of care to my patients. Im not interested in promotion anymore. As our management isn't great. Ive seen a big decline in management in the hospital, esp in our ward, since I started over 15 years ago. Sorry to say. However patient care has always stayed a top priority. Which is down to the staff on the floor and certainly not down to management.

Good company

Good benefits package and lots of training opportunities which you are encouraged to take. Private sector cannot compete with this. Can be very beurocratic

Pros

Pension

Stressful... I've never worked somewhere so repressive!

Off the bat let me just say that a load of the staff here are great. Focused on their job and do a good one with the meagre resources they are sometimes forced to work with. Having worked on several medical wards here I feel that following covid - a lot of staff (especially the nursing staff) are so burnt out they have no desire to actually do the job any more. Constant remarks of leaving, or looking for alternate work due to lack of staff, insane workloads and faulty equipment etc. Have worked shifts on certain wards where there would be so few staff or filled with bank staff who don't know the role at all, which meant that providing even the basics of care for your patients was sometimes ludicrously hard. The computer system they use is really quite archaic. It's often slow, or outright broken, and feels like every aspect of it is a tack on measure - to save cost? Maybe... but it doesn't feel like a purpose built system for this trust and often it takes an age just to record something which could be done in 2 seconds with pen/paper (not environmentally friendly - granted, but why oh why did this trust not go to using ipads/tablets like basically everyother trust?!)You can't park near to the hospital as they have a permit system, and if you use on street parking it can cost upwards of £13 a day! I've heard first hand this is a reason some people have refused to work here.Overall I've never felt pressure like working here. Most of the staff are fantastic and do their jobs to the best of their ability - and it shows, in how tired they are.

Thankless work

A good pension, but no work-life balance, non clinical managers trying to tell you what to do, your PIN constantly put at risk due to short staffing, unrealistic expectations of patients who have been on google. Bye bye NHS.

Best thing is always looking after the patients which gives job satisfaction

Stressful ward rounds but always supported by friendly management and colleagues. Most hospital sites are very well maintained with good facilities.which all the staff like using

Pros

Blue Light card

Cons

Lack of parking when doing night shifts

I enjoyed my stay

I absolutely learned a lot from my mentors and colleagues. I was initially deployed in Medical Ward which is a bit heavy but manageable as I got the support that I need from my colleagues, Nursw in charge and Manager. After a year I transferred to Endoscopy Department.

Pros

Free bus link. 37.5 working hours a week almost 7 weeks of Annual Leave

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Registered Nurse
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?