NHS

United Kingdom160 reviews

Found 160 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,846 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Can be fun

Difficult job but rewarding. Sometimes work can be very fast paced and overwhelming, sometimes it can be very quiet. People are willing to help you and most shifts are great.

Totally rewarding

The hardest job I’ve ever done emotionally but the reward of helping people in their darkest hour and working with great people is great and although some days can be long and stressful the good days outweigh the bad

Pros

Making a difference

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,232 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

The most rewarding but stressful job ever

Lets start on a good note, this job is so rewarding and the gratitude you get from the patients you look after make the time at work a bit better.Management within the ward is awful and never get any recognition or thanks for working your fingers to the bone. What is expected from employees is far too much for the amount of patients you have to look after, the hours you are expected to work and the lack of support from other staff.

Pros

gratitude from patients and their families

Cons

long hours no support from ward staff

I thought I'd be proud to work for the NHS but...

I thought I'd be proud to work for the NHS but the reality is that they're all overworked, underpaid and there's far too much money wasted on senior staff. The shifts are brutal form start to end. The rosta's are harsh and not always given in plenty of time for you to plan your life around.

I personally would work for NHS again

Not something I would like to do again in the future.For more than one reason. The NHS has a lot off good people working really hard and love what they do. But for me I would rather work in the private sector.

Teamwork important

Great team work and great training ,advances for nursing prospects,throughly enjoyable work place ,well managed and great feeling of making a difference

Stressful but rewarding

Stressful at times but can be rewarding. Change can be slow and sometimes don’t utilise people’s skills in the best way. Demand outstrips capacity which is hard to manage.

Benefits

Cons

Low morale

Enjoyable

I have enjoyed working in nhs I am now nearing retirement age and if circumstances are right and if able I might continue for a year or so more if I can work the hours out

Pros

A free coffee now and again would be great

Cons

No free parking for staff

Enjoyable and supportive.

I am a support worker in the community so it may differ from people's experiences in a clinical setting. Paid well for the work you do, slower paced and more autonomous. Enjoyable. Only issue as a support worker is once you reach band 4 there are not many other ways to progress.

Pros

Monday-Friday. Supportive staff

Cons

only 30 minutes for lunch

Sense of purpose

Working for the NHS is extremely rewarding. The training given is very good, you can easily move forward through experience and training. It can be a challenge with work life balance at the moment as the NHS is as busy as ever and shifts are always available on bank.

Built lots of positive relationships working for Combined Health

HELPED LOTS OF PEOPLE, made great new friends. Feel very proud of our National Health Service 😊 Highly recommended company who care about both thief patients and staff.

Worst move I ever made

Moved there from another hospital for higher wage, worst decision I ever made. Management is a disgrace, unsupportive and motivated by covering their mistakes. Services are ran on the basis of "how can we cover up our shortfalls" rather than "how can we improve patient experience". Reported a serious data protection breach which was ignored and not handled appropriately. The whole hospital is falling apart both physically and metaphorically. Progression is only ever going to be an option if you DONT care about patients and care more about targets, promotions will only ever be offered if "your face fits". Don't waste your time

My workplace is fast pacing and fun. I enjoy every bit of it because it keeps me active.

I have been very fulfilled since i started working at EPUT. I am always looking forward to working every shift assigned. We have the most amazing team from the ward manager to the rest of the staff. The team work is great! I cannot ask for more.

Pros

It will be good to have a free lunch because we work very hard.

Cons

Staffing issues. Quick turnover of agencies worker. We need more permanent and bank staff.

Good

Been here for many many years , 8 actually. The pay is not the best but can make it up if willing to work the extra shifts and weekends. Will never get used to the possibility of working Christmas day

Very understaffed and stressful

It’s a shame that I have to do this review but there is not enough staff. You’re treated like a number and judged if you are sick or not feeling well. They expect a maximum performance for not the best pay available in the country. Only good thing is you get to help sick people but even that is not a great experience as staff numbers don’t let you do your job properly.

Fast Paced

Fast paced environment. Community work so you see different clients everyday sometimes. Sometimes long shifts, depending on where you are. Can be mentally exhausting, depending on how you handle the days. Sometimes you’re with a child that needs minimal support, sometimes you’re with a child that needs maximum support.

Pros

Training, some lovely coworkers, different everyday.

Cons

Sometimes a lot of travel depending where you’re based, long hours.

Been working there for 8 years and will continue to do so until I retire. Great pension too. Really great understanding management and team morale is great.

Pros

Good management, flexible, understanding.

Cons

Stressful at times when working with patients in difficult situations

Great place to work especially if you want to work up

Worked in a busy ward it was fast paced and sometimes hectic but most people seemed to help each other. You occasionally got abuse form patients but it’s to be expected. Hca’s we’re seen as the bottom of the barrel though by quite a few and that needs to change

Pros

Good pay Good opportunities Overtime

Cons

Staff culture

Long hours, low pay and a toxic stressful culture at times. Too many non mangers managing!

Long hours, low pay and a toxic stressful culture at times. So much gossiping it's unreal! Cliquey so teamwork is a joke. Silent treatment is used as punishment as well as being left doing 1-1s all day.Encouraged to stay as untrained and not better yourself and treated poorly if you do. Can have some clinical staff treat you poorly due to your banding or colour of uniform!Covid blamed for everything including waiting months to start new positions or even just getting a phone call or email back! Very little staff in some places making workloads unrealistic. Expected to put up with violent behaviour and treated very badly if you report it (they do not follow through unless you are severely hurt). However some patients are a dream and are very thankful for all your help. And on the odd occasion you get good staff to work with it can be tolerable even likeable. There are chances to progress but very few and far between unless you train to be a nurse.

Pros

Rewarding experience on good days. Sense of achievement seeing a patient recover and go home.

Cons

Long hours. Low pay. Unrealistic workloads. The public. The media.

Very interesting workplace, learn lots of skills however very stressful

The NHS is a fabulous place to work, I have learned many valuable skills and have advanced my career clinically, there are stressful days and long shifts however it is all worth it when youre helping people get better. get into higher education such as nursing etc.There are plenty of different specialties to work on for example A&E, Stroke, Surgical etc.The NHS can also help to support you

Pros

Meeting new people, learning new skills, entrances into nursing and higher education.

I enjoyed it

I worked as a bank support worker at mental health units. There was always plenty of work available and each ward had slightly different dynamics so difficult to judge but it's what you expect from mental health settings. I guess everyone could find a ward they like if prepared for the nature of the job

Pros

Lots of shifts available

Cons

Sometimes difficult to contact line managers

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement