NHS

3.5Job security & advancement

Found 1,916 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,846 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Nhs

Very fast paced place to work. Unsociable hours as part of contract as a midwife. Pay is not reflective of the amount of work that we do but there are plenty of opportunities for career progression if you take the chance.

I have found the NHS an excellent place to work. The wage could be a little better, but you are given job security and a good work life balance. Management here is very good - they really take an interest in their staff and constantly strive for improvement. I would recommend working for the NHS.

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Don't go through agency

Initially I was going to write a good review, then next bit happened. Worked in IT department via agency, they said the contract was secure for 3 months, next i get a call saying I was no longer required. On top of that management were fairly respectable towards colleagues and I learned a lot, on the bad side they said to understand you need training and they we'rent prepared to do it. Management kicked off for being stressed and laid off contractors cos they couldn't bothered.

Great workplace!

I’ve worked a little in the private sector and working for the NHS imo has really good benefits, better than private for me. Excellent amount of holidays given each year, flexibility around childcare and working from home. Overall I feel very job secure working for the NHS.

Too many Fixed term contracts

no job security as its just extensions of Fixed Term contracts. Management dont seem to be sure of their own processes which makes training and asking questions difficult.

Excellent job security

Great organization with excellent job security.Each day gave me an opportunity to learn something new in the field of medicine.Patients experienced high wait times. However, staff did try their best to alleviate this challenge by going above and beyond to ensure patient satisfaction.

Good place to work as a team

Lots of benefits, huge amounts of staff lots of interesting places to work, can progress if you get in the right department, you will make lots of friends. Flexible working available

Caring and collaborative staff genuinely caring for patients

Staff generally are incredibly dedicated to their job role and collaborative across the MDT. Great opportunity for learning new skills and exposure to such a variety of clinical presentation. Rotations are good and varied as well as opportunity to progress quickly. Some great networking also to further progress development.

Pros

Great development/learning

Excellent colleagues

I enjoyed going to work very much in spite of long hours, mainly due to my colleagues and a manager who listened. There were opportunities for overtime and some flexibility with shifts; as a job one felt that one was making a contribution during the pandemic .

Horrible

Horrible place to work, bullying culture. Lots of room for progression but jobs are given based on who you know not what you know. Staff are not appreciated at all, never praised when doing well but management are quick to point fingers when things not so good.

Pros

good annual leave after a few years. good pension

Cons

Overworked. Underpaid

Underpaid and under recognised job

As a porter you do more important and risk things but the culture around NHS is like just nurses and doctors exist. Most of the time your work is not recognised and your work with short staff and the payment is just balanced by the unsociable hours and weekends and nights. But the amount of tasks that you do daily ar far more vast than people would expect

Pros

Stability, helping others

Cons

Incredible wrong balance on rota/life, no progression, working in an environment that has no cultural progression and room for improvement.

Good in comparison to other NHS trusts

A little behind the times, and needing some investment in general, but working for NHS Borders is good in comparison to many NHS trusts I have worked for previously. The healthboard isnt huge and so you do get to know a lot of people, and the various services. People are generally friendly and want to do a good job. Management are okay, they want to be collaborative with their workforces, whether this works in reality I am unsure.

Pros

Good career prospects if you work hard

Cons

The finance team are TERRIBLE. If you have any issues with your wages, takes forever for them to sort it

Fast paced, great benefits, nice colleagues

Great place to work, good benefits ie pension/sick pay etc. Work life balance. Would say that more room for progression is needed if you want to move up the ladder.

Unprofessional, not stable

Managers arrogant, unhelpful, was promised 3 months, but let go after 2 weeks without any notice. Not good if u have bills to pay and family to support. They should give more notice before letting go, allowing time to find another job

Depends who you work with

Working at the NHS can be fun and rewarding or stressful and unfulfilling, it all depends on how your team & manager operates. There can be lots of opportunities to progress but the closer you get to management levels the more bureaucracy.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Can be boring and bureaucratic

Great to work for the nhs

I love my NHS job at the moment. It’s the best job I’ve ever had, it’s interesting and I work with fantastic people. It’s just my job is not secure and there are some people who really probably shouldn’t be there are they’re not good leaders but they’ve managed to wait and climb their way into positions.

Pros

Interesting and rewarding career

Cons

Job is not guaranteed, it can be a little bit too much about who you know and sexist at the top.

Good place

Many learning experiences. Supported by managers and training opportunities. Time for reflection and feedback on performance. Good notice for your off duty and staff are hands-on.

Bad work-life balance

Bad work life balance. Poor pay. Excellent management, enjoyable and rewarding job role. Excellent progression opportunities. Excellent experience for healthcare roles

Pros

Rewarding job

Cons

Pay

Great Team

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Mass Vaccination Team. Everyone pulled together. The work life balance was good and there was the satisfaction of doing an amazing job.

Appalling management

They often don't respond to requests when wanting help with incorrect pay/ shifts not put on or authorized on the bank. Also when your banding in low (band 2 or 3) you are not listened too. If you try to get promoted - forget it if you are not family or friends with those in power as nepotism is RIFE!!!! Use your time there to get experience and then take your experience elsewhere if you want to build a career.

Worked with a great team

Managed to join a very supportive team. Learned a lot from my time spent there. Work will vary depending on your role and position so I am only speaking from my personal experience.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement