NHS

NHS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7,291 reviews

Found 7,291 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews

It’s ok

Nothing special but good work ethic from the team I work in, management ok but if want to ask something feel a bit put out, as they always busy, no proper staff room, but friendly and caring colleagues

Exciting place to work

No two days are the same. You are open to a variety of experiences. A great place to learn different skills, from problem solving, events planning,to risk management. Communicating with members of the public, medics, senior managers to media.Colleague were very supportive of each other. You felt as if you were part of a bigger team.

Pros

Canteen lunchs and NHS staff discounts

Cons

At times long hours

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Nhs

Working in the NHS as a nurse is hard for everyone, which everyone will understand. Nurses are underpaid and the NHS is understaffed which puts increased pressure on nurses.

Fast paced, great benefits, nice colleagues

Great place to work, good benefits ie pension/sick pay etc. Work life balance. Would say that more room for progression is needed if you want to move up the ladder.

great for interpreters

I love my job as an interpreter there as it's flexible and I get to meet loads of people and learn about different things.

Unprofessional, not stable

Managers arrogant, unhelpful, was promised 3 months, but let go after 2 weeks without any notice. Not good if u have bills to pay and family to support. They should give more notice before letting go, allowing time to find another job

rubbish place

given a job which takes 30 mins and told to make it last 4 to 6 hours....... management are poor, your never listened to if u have a problem and half the time your underpaid and other staff look down on you because your a cleaner

Pros

nothing

Cons

nothing

Good and bad

The good - you actually have a secure job, with benefits, NHS pension. The philosophy of the NHS as a free healthcare provision at point of need is beautiful.Cons - the NHS is a congested system. Probably free healthcare getting too loftier a goal to reach. Or probably intentional jeopardising of the system by people in high places. Trickles down to a place filled with stifling bureaucracy, poor job satisfaction and low pay.

Not the worst by a long shot

Decent place to work, friendly people..Management do like a scapegoat when anything goes wrong.About as secure as any job these days. Good salary for order pickers.

culture of cliques intimidating

Not all parts of NHS Work in the same way, it’s down to management how each dept is ran which creates a clique culture. I loved working there at first. But if you get intimidated bullied it’s easier for some management to turn a blind eye, to pretend as if they support you , but as management control themselves within each dept, even HR choose to not get involved allowing them to sort their own in house issues . In my opinion/experience issues are never dealt with . It’s easier for management to ignore rather deal with or escalate a problem. I left due to this unhealthy culture which towards the end caused depression with no support. If you are lucky enough to work for a dept with good manager then it’s not all that bad..

Good work life

Great work life balance.Rotational shifts.Online application, face to face or online interview.Parking available, great discounts, great holidays...!

Depends who you work with

Working at the NHS can be fun and rewarding or stressful and unfulfilling, it all depends on how your team & manager operates. There can be lots of opportunities to progress but the closer you get to management levels the more bureaucracy.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Can be boring and bureaucratic

Job

Great company to work for never had any issues my self. Good pay rates and plenty of work always available. Management is good and always there to support

Great to work for the nhs

I love my NHS job at the moment. It’s the best job I’ve ever had, it’s interesting and I work with fantastic people. It’s just my job is not secure and there are some people who really probably shouldn’t be there are they’re not good leaders but they’ve managed to wait and climb their way into positions.

Pros

Interesting and rewarding career

Cons

Job is not guaranteed, it can be a little bit too much about who you know and sexist at the top.

Boring and repetitive a

I work in the maintenance department and the management are a joke all they want to do is employ more managers, I've never worked in a place that's had so much management its costing the nhs so much money when that cash could be injected back into more man power on the work shop floor and training for the people that do the work and also use the people with good skillsets to make there working day more interesting instead of getting them to do the same mind numbing tasks each day ,I've put myself forward to management so much times but they knock me back because I haven't got the certificates ,I've worked in the oil and gas industry for 16 years before I joined the nhs and and all my work was mechanical orientated but they dont seem to recognise this it's so frustrating.

Too long hours

The hours are too long, the help is not there from management when you need it. The other staff are amazing, it's the office & senior staff that are no good.

Service desk engineer

Really good training provided and can go at your own pace, with the market paying higher for similar jobs that’s where you will struggle to retain staff.

Pros

Good management and team

Cons

Pay lacks at current market rate

Good place

Many learning experiences. Supported by managers and training opportunities. Time for reflection and feedback on performance. Good notice for your off duty and staff are hands-on.

Don’t do it

Low paid. Unappreciated.Stressful with a culture of bullying.Unreasonable expectations making it difficult to maintain a good home/work balance.Expensive meals, but meal breaks are short and you often don’t get them anyway.Expensive car parking with limited availability

Pros

Some staff benefits

Cons

Long and unsocial hours

Bad work-life balance

Bad work life balance. Poor pay. Excellent management, enjoyable and rewarding job role. Excellent progression opportunities. Excellent experience for healthcare roles

Pros

Rewarding job

Cons

Pay

Great Team

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Mass Vaccination Team. Everyone pulled together. The work life balance was good and there was the satisfaction of doing an amazing job.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement