NHS

NHS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews

workingmanagementjobworkgoodteamcolleaguestaff

Security

This job is a secure job but very hard working, wage isnt that good specially for the work you are asked to do for your wage. There is progression should u choose.

Complex Organisation

I accept this is a blanket review of a huge complex organisation - my advice would be to pick your NHS employer wisely as they’re not all the same, some are fantastic and are truly quality driven with patients and staff being at the centre of all they do. Unfortunately here in Kent where the health agenda has become confused, Pockets of NHS Employers that bully and reward that bad behaviour are still in existence, and it’s very much a rule of ‘if your face fits.’

Insights into NHS

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Varied role with opportunities

As a bank HCA, I can and have worked in most departments. Majority of people are hardworking and friendly/happy to help. Wards are often understaffed but everyone tries their best. I can pick and choose the shifts and areas I want to work in and can network alongside other professionals for career progression

Reliable, not exciting

Nice people, joined as a temp. Not much progression, but good work life balance. Fairly good salaries if you become permanent. Not very exciting culture.

Too many chiefs

The NHS is top heavy with too many managers and not enough staff at the coal face to provide the services.Bullying is a big problem with managers not properly trained to manage and with not enough staff stress is high.It's an ok employer to get you through the recession but alot of nurses taking their pensions and getting out. Wage looks attractive but not for the responsibility you take on.

Pros

Regular wage coming in.

Cons

Blame culture and highly stressful

Horrendous and depressing

Having over 30 years experience across a wide variety of electrical disciplines and job types, I have to say this is by far the worst experience of my career.If nepotism and clicks are your thing - join the NHSIf favouritism and bullying are your thing - join the NHSIf you like a good working environment and fair opportunities to succeed then stay away as far as possible

disappointing

Every day is a struggle with staffing shortages and lack of support from management. If it wasn't for my work colleagues, the job would be horrendous. As a team we are under paid and under appreciated, which is extremely disappointing for the NHS which was always known as a good place to work, this is no longer the case. We are no longer seen as a person we are just a number within the trust. this has become progressively worse over the last 14 years iv worked here.

I found the NHS great for the team i worked with, such a diverse and large staff group so you meet so many people and have a lot going on, its a great place to work. I would say progression is easier for those who are liked by managers rather than performance but i enjoyed my position and would return to the NHS. Sometimes to get progression you have to leave a company to come back at a higher point which i found to be more successful. No faults really, i would recommend

Talk to you like a child

Patronising to non management staff no negotiation for shift swap No support no congratulations no accountability lost a lot of hardworking staff due to this.

Most people in the nhs are burnt out

The NhS is a political football.Staff work very hard but are just burnt out. Senior managers can no longer prioritise and teams are being expected to do the impossible, every day, and then some more.

Pros

Peers

Cons

Long hours, little recognition

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at NHS?

Fun

Colleagues were nice. I really undermined how much I enjoyed the job at most days. If the contract hadn’t ended, I would’ve kept working there for as long as I could.

It was a great experience working with NHS but unfortunately it was a temporary role which lasted for less than 3 months. I wish I could work for NHS again.

Not worth the pay anymore

Very intense work with lots of heavy lifting and stressful situations. Legal documentation must be completed. Job qualifications aren't matched to pay anymore.

Cons

Bad pay

Hard work

Very fast paced with some lazy people.Some managers not pleasant or approachable.Enjoy the work but sometimes I feel a bit like a slave as not all are team players.

Started as a project support officer in January and it has been awful.

I graduated last year and began a temp projects role with the NHS, I then started as a project support officer on a fixed term project working with an external partner to improve digital services in care. It was a train wreck due to incorrect data, lack of office space, hostile working environment, lack of training and lack of resources. I complained to the hiring managers on several occasions who agreed to find me a suitable alternative and the project went under review. I was then informed I would be starting within maternity digital projects which then fell through, in the meantime they have been keeping me doing my generic temp role I was doing before starting the projects role full time. The pay is fairly good, but some days I can sit there all day and have literally nothing to do. Other days I can be sent so much work with restrictive time frames it is hard to have a work-life balance. This job has left me feeling depressed, unsupported and anxious, I have now been interviewing and moving to another well known company who so far has better supported my transition. I have been so disappointed in the NHS as an employer I was looking forward to working with them in my graduate career but it has been a complete let down.

Pros

Salary, flexible working

Cons

Erratic hours, hostile colleagues, no specific schedule always on call and working

Some Staff are lazy

Some Cleaners are lazy and hide / walk around hospital and go out on ridiculous amounts of cigarette brakes taking advantage of nhs and the other staff are doing there jobs a 10-20 min cigarette brakes 20 times a day and they clearly being paid to smoke a lot of staff have mobile phones on them and arrange to meet up for cigarette brakes they play dumb when they are caught also management and supervisors do the same and not always support staff and they can be very rude

Pros

Cons

As said above

Very rarely fun.

Poor management skills , Never supported ,Poor Organisation, Never enough staff always cutting corners,Wasting NHS funds in wrong areas . Never enough qualified staff around to help support workers.

Pros

Nothing free

Cons

Always long hours and no credit for it.

Important role and well supported

Fantastic organisation with friendly teams… Could be stressful at times as many patients requiring lots of support and unfortunately not enough hours in the day or clinicians to be able to give everyone what they wanted, or in the time frame they would like..though we tried our very best to!

feels good working for thembut wages could be higher

its good nice relaxed work that didn't pay much. management were relaxed for the most part. meeting customers was always nice as was driving around Manchester.

Nhs job for life

I guess it depends what trust you work in some trusts have a much better culture than others. Speaking from experience. I thoroughly enjoyed working at my last trust whereas this trust is far less inclusive

Productive and Fast Paced

The working day goes quickly, I get a lot of work done, I enjoy working alongside my colleagues but it all depends on what team you manage to get employment in as it is not the same picture across the NHS.

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

Learn about NHS in popular locations

• NHS