NHS BLOOD AND TRANSPLANT

NHS BLOOD AND TRANSPLANT Employee Reviews

The company is great to work for, however, staff who work there are sly and will always speak behind your back. If you're prepared for that then join nhsbt
Good pension, work hours, easy parking. However, if you are someone who works hard you will get frustrated at the amount of time wasters, slackers and NHS money so obviously being wasted. This was the main reason I left. Computer software was well out of date. Happy to employ staff to sit at a desk all day and have nothing to do and even when raised nothing is done as they don't want to "loose the position" and never be able to get it back despite being utterly demoralising to the person having nothing to do. I offered a way to save money on perhaps only needing a part time employer rather than full time, they didn't want to know. Very very hot on diversity. Need to update the way things are done eg go more paperless. Lack of back up from certain managers when needed.
Pros
Good parking, good NHS pension.
Cons
Too much money so obviously being wasted, old PC software, reluctance to update to change, way too much emphasis placed on being diverse.
Great place to work gd pay and amazing colleagues the long training really is worth it and would definitely recommend this job I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't started work here
Pros
Great staff
Cons
N/a
This has no bearing on the NHS and the service it provides. Where I worked, we gathered information for analysis. When I was training, I made a mistake and was hollered at by a supervisor. The whole office heard approx 20, and all turned to look at me. I was mortified. Should have left then really. I think it was just my office that was like this though, because all the other departments seemed to have a good rapport. One of my supervisors used to gamble quite a bit, and if she lost, her mood changed to reflect the loss. Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Lacking people skills
Management communication is sporadic and received potluck. They are not receptive to constructive feedback and do not have a growth mindset approach to improving ways of working.
Pros
Free budget snacks
Cons
Very long hours
Long hours but great donors to work with. Team work . Travel to different locations . Early starts / late finishes. Good holiday allowance. Always something new to learn and see.
Receiving and delivering orders for blood from other hospitals, preparing donated blood to be delivered by scanning it through laboratory processes and then packing it up to be sent out by drivers to designated hospitals. Collecting blood samples, labelling them correctly following the quality control standard, using computer programming for the processes and data base. Using and maintain laboratory equipment. E.g. sterile connection devices, heat sealers and laminar flow cabinets.
I've worked here through an agency for 8 months and can honestly say thoroughly enjoyed it here. The team and management are easy to work along side and definitely know how to enjoy and make the most of each day. The hours are the best I've ever found, and the work life balance is great would highly recommend trying to get a role here. My only personal failing is the wage isn't what I need for my personal situation.
Very nice work culture, People are good to help and talk. Management was very understanding. Work from home was available when required.I will highly recommend anyone to join who is looking for a Work life balance.
It was clear from day 1 that they value their employees and that inclusion is very important to them. It promotes diversity in all aspects. They seem focused in continuous improvement, by holding various work shops for employees to attend, such as 'problem solving' events aimed at different areas within the working environment (for example there could be a work shop for working relationships, and another or processes). Employees are eligible for the blue light card that offers a range of benefits. Because I have only worked here a short time I rated 'trust' 3/5 because I don't feel I have enough experience to comment... Although it is clear that they value honesty, therefore it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that trust is also valued. The work its self as a blood production assistant is as advertised in the job description.. No surprises there. They offer a range of shifts from day through to nights. Usually you are offered a fixed shift pattern which will be specified in the job advertisement/at the point of interview. A typical day includes POD work, this is where you work in a small section with another employee and process units of blood (separating red blood cells from the plasma) ready for transfusion. The plasma is also used to make various products. Over all I think it's a great place to work, it's also a good cause... processing blood helps save lives. Sometimes you get to hear success stories of how blood processed on site has helped a patient.
Work life not great but overall not a bad company just not for me long hours swaps available but not always convenient having a car preferable and hours have a start time but not a finishing time! Not suitable for young families
A typical day in work will see between 80 and 135 donors. With all jobs that are public facing, you can get annoyed and irritable people, but I don't think you'd ever get around that factor in life. However, most are 100% lovely, and are genuinely there to do a good deed, which always makes the job worthwhile Some of the stories that you hear are truly heartbreaking/heartwarming and everything in between. Like all sectors oh the NHS, we also feel the pressures of the cuts - with more appointment slots and less staff it can start to feel like a conveyor belt of blood bags and faces, but if you push past this, the staff and donors really do make it a great place to work. Now with the change of salary, the starting rate is much better (just over ÂŁ18800 - compared to the ÂŁ16600 when I started). As most people know who have working from an admin side, there is always more than is happening behind the scenes. Managing the platelets demand is an on going tasks which will require energy an attention - it is not out of the ordinary when a call from above says that we can nationally run out in a few days and we desperately need to build stocks. If you don't like speaking to strangers on the phone and asking (aka playfully begging) them to come in a short notice, then unfortunately this isn't the job for you.
This post would have been so much better with an approachable manager. High staff turnover but salary very good. No chance of progression. Can be long days, finishing late. Lot of lifting and setting up equipment as it’s a mobile unit. Lovely meeting all the people coming to donate.
Savings & Improving Lives is what it's about. Good organisation, good values, and very passionate colleagues. A world class organisation, and part of the wider NHS.
Dubious ethics. Poor management. Nepotism abundant. The potential to be a great company, however, complacency is entrenched and there is little critical reflection.
Being on a mobile team doing late sessions we start around 12:30pm until about 7pm. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday and learning about their reasons for donating, its nice to create that kind of relationship with donors as it makes them have a great experience and want to come back to donate in the future. Full training is all provided, based on site and in training facilities. Working full time doing around 75 working hours every fortnight, this means you work 4 days within the 7. Mostly they are weekdays but on occasion it may be a weekend (with my team specifically). It is great to know that you are directly involved in the blood donation process, and it is important to remember that on stressful days, every donation counts.
Pros
Full training
Cons
Long unsociable hours
One of the better contact centres. Treated well and accommodate when they can. Very good training and feedback. Fun and lively to work in. Very secure
Everyone is very friendly and hardworking. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to meet new people every day and being able to share their experience with them.
Unreasonable goals set for the working day, which always overruns. The people working here are amazing, but are being overworked and are underappreciated and so are disheartened. It feels like a constant battle with planning to try get a reasonable work load for the day.
The Norwich Union (Aviva) was a good place to work with a great PMO already established. I found the role not as challenging as others as the function was already in place and working smoothly. I did learn some new insights into the insurance industry.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
Too much work not enough staff. Not to let off steam as you are on deaf ears nothing gets done about it. If you cant hack it look for another job. Management letting staff reduce their hours and not thinking what impact it has on the Full Time Staff left to pick up the extra work load. Management not communicating properly with staff, regarding changes, if you are not in that day you are supposed to know what the changes are. Enjoyable part speaking to staff regarding their queries and receiving thanks for being so helpful.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Difficult to switch off