NHS Digital
Happiness score is 64 out of 100

NHS Digital Employee Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom31 reviews

workinggreatworkpeoplenhorganisationgooddigital

Good place to work at good salary

Enjoyed working here, worked from home, very good pay. Pay is good the work is not difficult. Training is done very quickly and only 2 days in the office in leeds city centre.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No guarenteed contract

Fantastic place to work.

NHS Digital is easily the best place I've worked my entire career. The people, the drive, to culture, the opportunities - it's amazing how much there was to do, and the energy of the very kind and welcoming people to do it. There's no shortage of successes here, and I will say if you never worked here you have missed out.On the flipside, the upcoming merger is casting a really bad shadow on the company. Lots of solid, trusted leaders are departing - and quite rapidly - and we have the image of a sinking ship with the captain fiddling on his violin. Worst part is the captain doesn't even know how to play a violin. Sad way for it to end, but it was great while it lasted. I will sadly be looking to move on soon as well.

Insights into NHS Digital

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Meaningful work

It's a good place to work, with the staff currently working there being great. The support is great from line-managers and your team, ensuring your work makes a difference. Hours can be flexible and all annual leave and working hours are agreed upon at a team level with your line-manager. Hybrid working is expected.BEWARE - There is a restructuring happening with potential job losses between 30-40% of the staff. The senior management team haven't informed any of the staff yet about the roles at risk.

Best job iv had

I love working here. I have had quick Progression within a year.Moved from a contractor to permanentYou always feel really Valued by management.

A great diverse and inclusive workplace culture

A great place to work, friendly and supportive, with lots of opportunities. Uses all the latest hi tech equipment. Promotes smart working/ work anywhere approach. Systems are fairly user friendly and not too complex. A great environment in modern offices. I would say the only downside is they have moved to a new location which is a bit further away from the town centre location.

Pros

Lots of different opportunities.

Cons

Location on the edge of town.

Favouritism, Poor Management & wastage

Poor management and indecisiveness of these largely overpaid managers lead to constant changes and mistakes. They are unable to make decisions and often lie to dig themselves out of holes. They put needless pressure on staff.Their favouritism leads people being promoted to high salary management positions or simply the wrong positions. It causes disharmony, de-motivation and good staff leaving.The above to points leads to an excessive amount of wasting tax payers money which could be better spent. Also your hard work is wasted.

Pros

Do what ever you want at tax payers expense

Cons

wasting your skils, also your time and your efforts.

Fun

Hard work but lovely staff and colleagues. They made an effort to include everyone even though we were all remotely working from home.Lots to do but I left as the role wasn't challenging enough.

Worked In IT

Working with some of the most cutting edge technologies. Loads of support from other senior members and mangers. Managers and directors always kept staff up to date with what was going on in the business. Your working equipment, ie laptop/Surface Pro and mobile phones where always top of the line as was all the software we used. This was done so other NHS departments could ask what was best for them to purchase.

Pros

Worked at other NHS Digital locations around the country as well as leading other NHS trusts

Cons

Just need to remember that you are being paid by out of public funds

Productive, great development opportunities

Loved working for NHS Digital and I am thankful for being part of 2 great departments that understood the importance of work life balance. My time there is cherished greatly. Some amazing characters and caring people.

Pros

Great salary, pension scheme and opportunities to develop

Cons

Many transformations taking place, when you’re settling in.

Fine if you work for a consultancy

Mass redundancy of technical staff for The consultancy’s owners who are friends of the CEO, a very London centric organisation if you value your mental health stay away from this company. A very middle class organisation they treat working class people like rubbish.

Pros

Get paid on time.

Cons

Lack of progression, shocking business practices.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at NHS Digital?

Excellent company to work for

I mostly enjoyed my time with NHS Digital, in particular the Front Door Service and Strategy, Policy & Governance great people. I learnt an awful lot during this time. The workplace culture is very understanding. The hardest part of the job was being made redundant in April 2020. If I was given the opportunity I would certainly return and recommend NHS Digital if asked.

Pros

Working from home, flexibility, salary, staff, managers, ethics, fair policies

Cons

Progression is slow

Brilliant place to work. Very supportive and great career advancement opportunities. Opportunity to work on lots of different types of projects and access to training opportunities.

Productive and fun workplace

NHS Digital is a great place to work. They have a growing focus on employees and exploring emerging technologies to improve the operating model. They are delivery focussed and encourage flexible working.

An enjoyable Experience

The NHS has to follow strict procurement procedures which are meant to save money but actually cost more than any savings they might create and they are time consuming and onerous. But if you can accept these constraints then the NHS is a good organisation to work for.

Fun

Can have fun if you want but always work hard, however looked after and flexible working if requested, Projects can be singular large or a mixture of various small projects.

Exeter office withering away

Leeds office on the ascendant, Exeter office withering away due to the basing of the majority of the executive management tier in Leeds. The executive management have a very distant relationship.

Being made redundant

Have enjoyed working here and have gained a lot of experience that will help shape my future. If the office was to remain open, my future would be on a different path.

Was a great organisation but now going downhill fast

The CEO is taking the organisation through great changes at the moment including large amounts of redundancies. The culture has changed dramatically over the last 18 months and morale is really low. This has been exacerbated by the redundancy programmes that are being brought in threatening all bands and all locations - including closing down two locations completely.

Subpar Management

Day to day experience will very depending on department / team. However I was unfortunate to be part of a team which was not only managed extremely poorly but treated its staff as expendable, Hardworking or not. Culture was very much look after own staff. Some people are understanding and helpful but very rarely.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

None existent management, treatment of staff, progression is questionable...

Great employer

A great employer that offers job security and good work/life balance flexibility. NHS Digital implements a wide range of programmes and projects which in turn offers staff varied job opportunities. As in most public sector organisations things do move a little slowly but the organisational culture is relaxed, inclusive, diverse but focused.

Pros

Location flexibility includind working from home

Cons

Most activity is based Leeds HQ which means frequent travel

Bureaucratic and complex

Like many organisations it suffers from a too many layers of management, too many contractors, ever changing processes and a lack of clear objectives. This can lower morale and lead to high turnover.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Bureaucracy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NHS Digital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement