NHS Healthcare Support Workers

United Kingdom666 reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

Comfortable work place

Alot of support on the job. Kind colleagues. The job can be demanding on certain days but the team work is great so you dont feel it. Canteen on site. Always get your break on time. Good management.

Very supportive and helpful staff which makes the job easier The salary is good but the hours can be long but can be flexible when requested as mangers are understanding

Pros

Pay

Insights into NHS Healthcare Support Workers

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Hard Going

Long hard days,staff and mangement are great but short staffed a lot of the time,everyone mucks in but can be very tiring if you are a fulltime employee

fast paced

offers security but hard work . shifts are very long and nights can be hard to adjust to. can be short staffed so extra work load but also rewarding.

Pros

pension holiday

Cons

long shifts

Very busy and understaffed

Very busy and never enough staff for the amount patients you have.mangement have favourite staff.good enhancements and flexible working hours.breaks are not paid and you have to pay for parking

Pros

Good enhancements

Cons

Not enough staff

Great place to work.

Great place to work plus overtime.good pay. Well looked after.plus strict guidelines using ppe..can be long hours but plenty of rest breaks .I would definitely work there again

Overall good but could be better

Mostly good but could be better.Hard work, not enough pay for the responsibility and accountability.Overall it was good but the system needs a big shake up. You don't go into nursing to be rich, though! :)

Pros

Hours

Cons

Heavy work load and always short staffed

Fun

Great place to work… good staff , fair management, benefits are okay, patient first. Fair career advancement, annual leave and benefits…..Fun place

Work security

Everything you need, you pay your bills, you clothe yourself, you have a place to live, you can feed yourself, take care of your health, I mean this job help you to satisfy your basic but most important needs of your life.

Pros

Job security

Very standard

Neither here no there. Its not awful but I can tell you now, a lot could be improved. The salary being the first thing. But the security at the job is great.

Mixed bag as bank staff

No continuity. As bank staff only I have no manager. No one to talk to if I’ve had a good or bad shift. No feedback on my performance. Often wages are signed off late and you are expected to phone the ward and ask them to get it signed off. Doesn’t matter which ward/hospital you agree a shift for NHS reserve the right to move you anywhere - they will bring you back to where you agreed your shift in by taxi after your shift has finished (adding onto your working day with no compensation). Low rate of pay, zero incentive. Some staff are brilliant to work with, some are awful.

Pros

Pick and choose the hours you work - there’s always lots to choose from

Cons

Long hours, undervalued, no allocated manager, been there 2 years with no feedback on my performance

All out good place

Good on cv I truly enjoyed working here . I meet good people okay pay . Long hours at times . Was promoted. Would recommend management changes a lot .

Pros

Promotion

Not bad at all

It's a fast paced job, if you're lucky enough to have a good manage it makes the whole thing a breeze! There is a steady rotation of colleagues so it doesn't feel stagnant.

Benefits

Cons

Unsociable hours

Love the people i work with. Teams are very suportive

Good place to work. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Lot of training oppourtunitys available for those who want them. Good holiday longer than most.

Pros

Extra holidays. Lots of over time available should you need it.

Cons

Long hours. Can be physically taxing on body.

Fun but can be tiring

Fun but sometimes work can get boring. It is nice to help though. Poor management best to work through agencies if you wanna work at the nhs. If you do work here it’s best to have experience.

Pros

Good pay

Ok

It’s okay pay during unsociable hours, but day rate hours are not great, nature of work can be unpredictable and for the kind of hard work, the basic rate of pay should be more

Pros

Flexiblity

Cons

Long hours and work can be demanding and difficult

Making a difference in patients day

As a support worker you mostly work with patients all days making a huge difference to their hospital stay. But the pay is a national minimum, probably £1200 after tax outside London. Those who stay with patients and do make a difference every day earn the smallest salary. If you want to make more you have to sacrifice your work life balance and work weekends and nights. And it's never enough so sometimes you have to work with very tired nurses! You have to pay for commute, lunch(unless you have a day off and cook) and for parking(unbelievable!). It depends which trust you work but in some they have only 1hour break broke in two 30minutes on a 12.5 hour shift... that's not a lot. If you want to progress or get trained you really have to stay in the job for a long time because there is a culture of waiting in line.

Pros

5% discount for buying house in pandemic

Cons

Long hours, small salary, not easy progression

Terrible management

Lovely team but too many managers and too much paperwork .Salary is below average and patient care isn't considered.Definitely run as a business first ans foremost

Avoid

Avoid management are toxic, long working hours no family life, refused flexible working hours, rewarding job but not paid well enough. I loved my job just had to put my family first and leave

Fast paced, hard work but rewarding

Best part of the job is the fantastic team I work with going above and beyond for patients. Job can be hard, hours are long and the pay is poor although there are enhancements for unsocial hours.

Pros

Team work, helping people, enhanced unsocial hours pay

Cons

Long hours, low morale, can be stressful

Not enough staff, too little pay

I stated as a CSW back in 2020 middle of the 2nd wave on an integrated care ward. One member of staff to 9 high risk, high demand patient isn't enough, especially over a 12hr shift (more like 13 because I rarely managed to find the time to take my break without leaving patiets at risk.) The workload definitely doesn't match the pay, minimum wage for working yourself to the bone just isn't right. Wouldn't recommend working for the NHS, the pay for the support workers just isn't enough.

Pros

Making a difference to patients experience and time in hospital.

Cons

Laughable pay long hours, overworked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NHS Healthcare Support Workers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement