NHS Lothian

NHS Lothian Employee Reviews

Good team and work place, always happy people to work for. Seems to me from my experience it’s always been pleasant. I enjoy working for the NHS they provide excellent skills and training.
Pros
Good work banter
Cons
Working for NHS Lothianhas been a dreadful experience. The business is over-run with band 6/7 who got their positions through length of service rather than on merit which has resulted in a very poor management system. Systematic bullying from band 5 and band 6 is endemic in the service and there is no recourse.I would strongly advise against working in NHS Lothian but instead pursue a role in the private sector for better pay and conditions, better management and a wholly better experience.
Pros
Cons
Bullying, unacceptable patient care, very poor management.
I wouldn’t never work within nhs again after my experience. It’s seemed the higher up the staff the nastier they became. Trained nurses acted like bullies, if you try to bring it up you’re quickly put in you’re place.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Nasty staff
NHS Scotland look after their staff, and provide support if you need time off. NHS Scotland are a great company to be employed by, great holidays, and great people
Pros
support
Cons
shifts
The company will provide full training from the first day of employment. You will learn about the company, manual handling, fire safety over 2 days before you start you first real day on the job. You will have online learning to complete and most likely have a buddy with you to go over the basics to help find your feet.
Pros
Good leave allocation
Cons
Lack of benefits
My enduring memory is the toxicity of the culture. Nursing management are demeaning, patronising, bullying, indecisive. I did meet some lovely managers who were excellent at their jobs however, I met way too many who were incompetent and getting away with it. Hence, a high turnover in some areas.
Pros
Lots of options for work
Cons
Bad culture
A very fair group to work along with. Flexibility within the Bank to work across all areas of Lothian. I enjoy my role and the people I work with. If you are a compassionate and hard working individual then I encourage you to apply for further roles advertised
Some people you'll work with are really great, However the management is very poor. Decisions made by pencil pushers who dont experience life on the wards so alot of decision that are made and enforced are not suitable for the everyday running if wards. This includes ward sisters even. There can be alot of gossip and the older generation who have been there a while can tend to think they are invisible and own the place.
this is only my point of view. i know this is not every ones, experience . If your face fits great. if not move, on. Managers , talk about values, and standards in public. but in private. its a different story. keep quiet ,keep your head down.dint be to outspoken, to the managers. I was bullied thats what they
Very good and organise vccnvkjfdagja;odlkgjatro;gld to work for. Good salary and good annual leave. i really like the work load, i worked indepenantly...
Pros
Flexible management
Cons
A varied life experience. Everyday something a bit different for you to try and solve. What you do here you will remember for a long time and may help.
Great place to work, people are all nice, management could do more for there staff! Time off and holidays are a bonus! There is alot of staff benefits!
I have enjoyed working on the staff bank which has afforded me the opportunity to experience mental health care in a variety of settings.
I loved working for NHS both Highland and Lothian. They were great employers and took care of their staff. The in house training is fantastic and my previous manager was more than happy to put me on courses which I very much enjoyed.
Pros
Pension, holidays, work security
Cons
Pay is a bit less than private companies
Didn't feel welcome and was ostracized from the first day. They make you feel that you're not good enough and then build you up to fail. If you haven't been there long enough, according to one employee, then no one will talk to you. I started with another person and straight away and was singled out. I went back to my old Job and was like a breath of fresh air, normal respectful people. I'm still there today and have got my confidence back. Don't work for a company that has family relations and all people that know each other as friends as your 'colleagues'. Certainly not my friends.
Pros
Sadly nothing much.
Cons
Being grilled by 12 wannabe 'supervisors'.
I have enjoyed a good career within the NHS during which time I have trained in the area I am interested in, gained experience in a variety of roles and built up good work relationships.
Pros
salary, good annual leave entitlements
Cons
no salary bonus opportunities
good job for school leavers and no limits to what you can learn in one year not bad pay and meet new people every day no one day is the same
The job itself was enjoyable and rewarding, but there were too many unnecessary procedures in place to prevent you from doing you're job efficiently and to the client satisfaction.
Great place to work, friendly staff, good rates of pay, great benefits offered.. pension package etc Only left as I moved out of the area.
NHS Lothian is committed to engaging Staff as key partners in service planning and modernisation Care and Compassion; Dignity and Respect; Quality; Teamwork; and Openness, Honesty and Responsibility
I really enjoyed my time at The Royal Infirmary but it was only on work experience with PAVE and MTS Training. All of my co-workers were kind and welcoming and the management was fair.
  1. Employee reviews