NHS Scotland

NHS Scotland Employee Reviews

Feel part of a team, work well with the general public, I feel I make a difference and get a lot of satisfaction, over the last 3 years has been a challenge, especially with Covid, however I have thrived during busy and emotional times at work.
Pros
Team work sense of achievement
Cons
Constant telephone
i started as a telecoms engineer contractor and found the people in charge didn't know the job except the odd person and the pace was very hectic no breaks in the morning half a hour at lunch no break in the afternoon just Rush Rush Rush 8 hour day and very long may be it was the NHS people i was working with and i was a contractor but i don't recommend going into the NHS As contractor you don't get looked after i could go on
Pros
Home Time
Cons
No Breaks NHS. management don't treat you very well as a contractor
After 40 yrs it's sad to write about the negative aspects of health care. Everything falls to the Staff Nurse. Ward manager & Lead nurse vanish at 4.00pm so you are left with finding beds, admissions all your own work. Also you have to give out meals as no one has realised the trolley can move but the care assistant complain. Its overwhelming, expect to be overworked with no support. Complaints mean not coping. Not a lifetime job. Health Hazard!! & no respect from colleagues.
Pros
Specialist experience
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, undervalued
Awful place to work. Management just not able to do what the title suggests........manage.Dont consider working for them if you want to be treated fairly and to be part of the team.
Pros
Good pay. End of shift
Cons
Management. Unrealustic work liafs.
I enjoyed my time within the NHS and was able to progress in my career. I have learned many new skills met all grades of staff. My highlight was being able to assist or offer advice to staff, patients and all other bodies
Pros
Opportunity to learn other skills
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Within NHSAA, poor management, long hours, no job advancement, unsupported. Promotion not determined by ability or experience. Left nursing as a result of my experience here.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
I've worked for NHS in England for 15 years and now work for NHS in Scotland. They are a great employer to work for, lots of benefits and you meet many people from a a variety of backgrounds. The staff are professional in their job, despite the pressures they all face. Joining the NHS is like joining a new family.
Pros
Pension, Good Pay, Sick & Holiday Pay, flexibility in hours. Access to gain qualifications.
Cons
Short staffed at times, no help with childcare.
Worked with the company. I enjoyed my job, however leadership and management where very poor. No support what's so ever. Everyone trying to blame someone else. As a experienced hospitality assistant this was the worst job I have ever had.
Pros
Late shifts.
Cons
Late shifts no leadership.
Highly stressful working in healthcare and you are never appreciated or thanked for what you do. You are paid pennies and expected to be grateful. You are constantly under stress and have too much to do to fit into a 12 hour shift - then you have to stay later and catch up on notes etc and you don't get paid for staying any later! It is an awful career I would not recommend it to anyone. You are simply a number and a part of the cog working for the NHS and no one in the higher places of the organisation give a bleep about you.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, always tired, paid pennies
Working at nhs, you have support and feel like part of the team. Secure job as long as you are professional and dont neglect patients, staff or visitors.Getting paid correctly and on time is very poor, the job is hard enough to work in and to then not be paid properly is just unprofessional. I left the job as a result of this and 3 weeks later I am still trying to sort my pay out because someone messed up the paperwork and didnt communicate it onto payroll.Im sure its not always like this, but I shouldnt have to deal with working and trying to sort out getting paid properly.
Pros
Staff, work environment, support, training, job security
Cons
Being paid on time, being paid correctly, no training during covid for new start.
Great conditions.great employer. Relaxed working conditions . Good training opportunities . Enhanced opportunities. . great workplace culture. environment Brilliant
Rewarding career and chance to help people to be in a caring profession your meeting new people and learning with them the chance to meet nurses doctors surgical staff domestics cleaners porters it’s great to see everyone doing different jobs
Pros
Chance to meet new people it’s a rewarding career and learn more
Cons
Long hours it’s challenging but always rewarding to be able to help people
NHS Scotland as a whole is a brilliant place to work, however I work in a GP surgery and although I get get on well with my colleagues, I feel the management there could be better
Pros
Benefits, flexible
Cons
Stressful
Working with nhs in the job I do is rewarding, I am always 100% focused This is not reflected in my wage though, I am always on time and sometime leaving Late
Pros
Permanent work
Cons
Poor pay
I have worked in many care settings which I love. The most important thing to me is my patients. And patient centred care is what i strive for. I believe in promoting independence whilst respecting patients dignity and diversity at all times
I currently work on a stroke ward. It is very challenging rewarding. Very busy from start to finish. Also we often get head injury patients on ward. It can be very stressful at times.
Support the nhs gives is second to none. Work life balance is easly acheaved with the nhs. 80% of the stafd are easy to get along and work with. Loads of moaning off lazy people who dont know how good they have it. (Only bad bit) Would go back for the right post.
Happy, caring and motivated team. Excellent management and line management. Opportunities to climb the ladder. Great holidays and annual leave. Proud to be in NHS.
Pros
Really handy from home
Cons
Recent changes to pension
Always busy, never time to look at clock, hard working job. Nice people to work with, there's different parts of the job but in all its all hard there's no easy part about it . Your guaranteed to go home absoutly shattered
Pros
Every weekend off
Cons
Working here was an easy enough job, however it was too far from where I lived and the employees weren't the friendliest.
As part of the health visiting team you get to meet many families in various stages of their child's development. The job is varied and engaging. It can be a bit frustrating when people arrange sessions then forget about you but otherwise a good job.
Pros
good training opportunities
Cons
lone working
  1. Employee reviews