Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust

Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom17 reviews

I left.

I did enjoy working for CAMHS at NSFT, however I found myself overworked and underappreciated - working at the age of 16 surrounded by co-workers in their mid-twenties I was seen as the baby of the group and my significance overlooked. My workload was overbearing and my own mental health ignored to a breaking point. I left after presenting at a conference and disappearing from work and no heed taken by my colleagues, supervisor or area manager.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Extreme work hours

Avoid.

Would give 0 stars if I could. Most toxic work environment I’ve ever experienced. Management are unsupportive/incompetent and will make it clear if you are not in with the ‘clique’. Most staff are inexperienced and get dragged into the toxic culture. Team work is unheard of, everyone is out for themselves. Patients basic needs are disregarded and ignored. So if you think this job will be rewarding and somewhere you can make a difference… think again. It will be made clear that you are easily replaceable and the work you do won’t be appreciated. I would sincerely advise anyone thinking of working for this trust to avoid at all costs.There is a reason they are branded the worst mental health trust in the country and rated INADEQUATE by the CQC. An absolute embarrassment to NHS/Mental health services.

Pros

None.

Cons

Literally everything. Avoid at all costs

Insights into Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Low Morale, Chaotic Management Approach, Lack of Support

The PWP role generally is one that experiences high staff turnover - I knew this before I joined the Wellbeing Service but the reality was so much worse. Management was a shambles - offers of additional training were promised but then never materialised, meetings were had to discuss 'areas of improvement' where suggestions were made but never spoken of again and there was very little support or guidance when dealing with suicidal/risky clients. As a new starter I had a particularly risky client and insufficient experience to deal with the situation without support - despite multiple attempts I was unable to find anyone to help. This situation, unfortunately, was not a 'one-off'. It is stressful for the practitioner and is putting patients at risk. The workforce is increasingly inexperienced, with the most experienced PWP's leaving quicker than they can recruit/train new starters. Morale was low across the board. Whereas, I have nothing but praise for the NHS more widely, the chaos of Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust (which has been failing for a very long time, with no obvious improvement) is only going to get worse. Wildly inexperienced people are recruited into management roles out of desperation - if this was a private company they would have been shut down years ago!The only saving graces were the other PWPs who are wonderful people (who deeply care about their patients but are working in a VERY broken system) and the patients/clients (who wait too long for much-needed support).

Pros

Working with Patients, Other PWPs, Home-Working

Cons

Emotionally draining, lack of management support, broken promises, management lacking experience

If your face fits

The experience I have had was extremely disappointing I had a very poor induction and was told if the fire alarm goes off head for the nearest exit wasn't told where to meet. The atmosphere you could cut with a knife and not very welcoming either so if your face fits you'll be fine also no training was given. explanation of what to do you not allowed to use your own initiative

Job Satisfaction

1. Excellent Team Spirit. 2. Job Satisfaction. 3. Variety 4. Management varies. Some good, some not so good! 5. Helping people. 6. Shift work. 7. Location

Pros

Good team spirit.

Cons

Shift work

The Trust is changing for the better

Things are greatly improving and it’s exciting times to be part of the Trust. There’s lots going on to understand the culture and they have definitely got a good sense of direction from the new leaders. Be part of the change.

If you have a brown tongue 👅 then you will fit right in

Bullying is rife it’s that simple. If you dare to make a complaint about your seniors, be prepared to have the tables turned back on to you. It’s in special measures for a reason.

Pros

It’s only 7.5hrs

Cons

Too many to mention

Terrible trust- failing patients and staff

I have worked in the trust for the past 10 years but have now hit breaking point. Constant cuts, useless manager, high sickness rates, poor staff retention, ridiculous caseloads and high waitlists. Staff are not heard, they are struggling with no support. No time for breaks. No support.

Pros

Autonomous working

Cons

Management, waitlist, lack of support, high sickness and staff turrnover

Lack of induction - high caseloads- disorganised management

Lack of suitable IT equipment Lack of induction Disorganised Far too long waiting lists High staff turnover High staff sickness levels Too high caseloads Not surprised it’s an inadequate service

Not working to their values

I enjoyed my admin role but when the going got tough due to the very strict deadlines and lack of staff due to cost savings, support went out of the window. One of the values is to step into other’s shoes: good on paper but didn’t happen. For my own well-being I am no longer there.

Pros

Holiday and sick pay. Pension.

Cons

Struggling to hit deadlines. Not enough support.

A good place and team to work for.

I enjoyed the role albeit extremely busy. I would've been happy to secure a permanent position there. The work is varied and interesting. I enjoyed daily contact with the locum Doctors and working in a team.

Pros

Good facilities

No two days the same

Very busy safe secure, well organised and structured working environment at the various sites held by the Trust. Friendly helpful and knowledgeable staff.

no training

Supportive staff, management are fake, they pretend to support but talks about staff behind their back. flexible hours, lots of demands from managemnt

Pros

good staff

Cons

non supportive management

Hardworking and caring colleagues

I enjoyed my time here at Coastal IDT and have found the management extremely supportive in allowing me to adapt my hours to attend college in order to develop myself further .

Pros

Friendly helpful team members

Cons

Pressured working environment

It was a good place to work but wasnt very organised with management

I had amazing co workers but I left due to the job never felt very secure. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients and having such a good team to work with. I learned a lot working within this job role and also gained my NVQ 1/2.

Pros

i enjoyed co workers and working with the patients

Cons

shifts were unreliable due to poor management and job insecurity

Without co-workers such as mine I would have left a long time ago.

Very simply put, the NSFT operates a system where by money is saved 'on the shop floor' whilst those in charge of the budget retain their overly paid jobs. It is a place of too many managers. My ward alone has three and yet we are regularly understaffed on ward with 3 staff to 16 patients particularly when escorted leave has to be facilitated daily, some of which are mentally unwell convicted criminals whom have spent time in the system in excess of 15 years. If it were not for the amazing staff in the nursing teams that go unrecognised, unrewarded and are poorly paid, I would have left the role a long time ago.

Pros

Co-worker nursing staff

Cons

the money saving drive leaves patients and staff struggling, long hours, low pay, you may be moved anywhere within this trust and have no say in it, very poor managerial support, failure sickness system.

i have enjoyed working for the n h s

when i go to work every day is different.Our service users are unpredictable, the imediate management has been fair. I work with nice people. we have to deal with a lot of aggressive service users, but we hood training to deel with this, and plenty of back up.the trust is going through changes and the job security is not there.The service users i look after are not always responsible for there actions, i love it when they are happy ,they can make me smile

Pros

well paid. good conditions.interesting service users and pleasent staff to work with

Cons

not easy to get to, ward i work on is most likley closing in july or before

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust with

Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust reviews by location

Learn about Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust in popular locations

• Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?