Norm Thompson Outfitters

Norm Thompson Outfitters Employee Reviews

3.8Pay & benefits

Thankful

Original hire in 1994 in WV, and the company was great with super owners. Unfortunately, like so many other places the company had to sell and moved. out of state. My score reflects the last few years.

Pros

Good people and opportunity

Cons

Company sold and moved out of state

wonderful company to work for

Store closed down, if they were still open, I would highly recommend them. Well run company high quality merchandise and a good location. Online ordering was easy.

Relocated to East Coast

Brands were consolidated to east coast. Nice place to work, sorry to see them move. Nice offices, located in Hillsboro. Management changes as the brands were acquired.

Great place to work. Great people.

Great place to work. Great people. Very diverse product line catalog company with multiple avenues for sale including direct mail catalog to consumer marketing and on-line catalog.

Pros

culture and people

Cons

tough business conditions

This company is no longer open

The company Norm Thompson Outfitters in Hillsboro, OR has closed. It was consolidated into an aquired acquisition merger. The building is closed with no occupants.

Fantastic company

There was a good atmosphere even though the work was competitive since they kept track of who typed the most records. The top management knew how to really motivate the employees and I often felt boosted by the pep talks we got from time to time. We got to buy the returned merchandise at really great prices.

Pros

Got to buy great products at low prices

Cons

Very unusual products and work environment.

Very regular work schedule. I learned how to improve a faulty Shipping and Receiving system and increase efficiency and accuracy. Very benevolent management.

Pros

Good positive environment.

Cons

Difficult to work in a struggling industry.

Great corporate culture...until it was bought

It was great while it was owned locally. Once it was sold it quickly was stripped of all of it's culture to the point of being, essentially, an outsourced, money-first culture.

Great company to work for with a great culture

While the company is closing its offices as an independent location, it has a long established presence and culture in the community. It is always work in a place that you are proud to be a part of and this was exactly that. I enjoyed working with creative people and being allowed an independence to support them in a way that made both of our jobs easier by doing things like short and long form training. I will miss working here

Pros

Great Culture

Cons

Low pay

Stress Full

It is stress full!. they require one person to do what an entire team can do while others do the minimum and get the credit for your work.

The people make it great. Positive energy and motivating place to work.

A typical day is not so typical - it depends on the time of year and where we are in the season. It could be a full day of emails to vendors, to inventory management, to our creative and copy teams. It could be a day of shipping samples. It could be a day at a showroom or meeting with vendors. It could be a day of competitive analysis. It could be a full day of sample preparation for our season presentation to the company. It could be a full day of merchandising the catalog. It could be a day on location at a photoshoot. It could be a day of replying to customer comments/reviews. I am the funnel in my role - I represent the senior merchants vision to the rest of the teams that make the catalog and web work. My list of to-do's most importantly is handling sample logistics. I work with the vendors to make sure our samples for photography get to me on time for the photoshoot, and as we have such a large lead time, it's sometimes easier said than done. Another big part of my job is preparing for important meetings before each season's merchandise is presented to the entire Sahalie team - IM, Creative, Web, Copy, etc. Preparation for these meetings is constant-there are a lot of working parts. The blog is my newest project. I'm working with our writers to create a creative and interactive place online where we can talk to our customers and develop a relationship with her. I review to customer reviews and respond by delegating what needs to come out of it from our team. I do weekly competitive analysis in print and online to stay in tune with our customer and how she is shopping. -

Loved working for them

Very busy call center. Heavy phones. Lots of variety. Inbound call center. Placing orders, answering product questions, helping customers make buying decisions, helping to resolve issues, customer retention, helping customers with returns, missing or lost packages, tracking orders, etc.

Pros

Very busy call center. Days flew by.

Cons

Call center was very noisy at times. Had to learn to block it out.

Great Seasonal Job

I worked at Norm Thompson for only one of their Seasonal Sessions but I did enjoy that one time I was there.

Pros

Good Job and friendly people, Clear and complete training

Cons

At the time we had one issue with the payroll but that was resolved prior to me leaving

The discount I received & all the employee sales

My day started with collecting products from tech reps so I can enter them in the system. Prioritizing products for catalog drop date. I learned a lot about the apparel & hard goods products. The managers I had were very helpful to me to do the best job I can. My co-workers were very talented in there jobs & very personable. We worked very well together as a team. I loved my job & there actually were not any hard parts. Receiving a great discount to purchase products of every kind.

Pros

Many weeks of vacations & sick leave

Cons

I actually like everthing about my job, the company, co-workers, etc.

Team oriented workplace with an emphasis on sustainablity.

A wonderful place to hone my customer service skills. Coworkers were a joy to work with. During the peak season I had the opportunity to train additional CSR trainees for our average 250 customer service calls per employee. It was a blast!

Pros

loved my position as a customer service rep

Cons

company unfortunatly made a corporate decision to close their call center.

Seasonal Work

Work day consisted of long periods of standing to reimburse customer accounts for returned items.

Nice cafeteria and excellent people.

Was a wonderful place. Probably the best job I ever had. Could get time off almost anytime you needed. Everyone was just super to work with. Would definately still be there except for company closed and moved to south carolina.

Pros

wages and insurance

Cons

7 days a week from october til february.

Cool place to work

It was a fun place to work. Every day was different and it was always cool to see new stuff in the catalog months in advance. They also were big supporters of sustainable practices and giving back to the community.

Pros

cool people, fun events

Cons

poor management

Fun fast paced work environment during the holidays.

The call center is no longer in Oregon. But when it was here, that was the place to be during the holidays! Great training and support from staff. Great employee discounts. Competitive pay for seasonal employees.

Pros

environmentally conscience, free food days and parties, tons of staff support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norm Thompson Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2