North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews

Great Staff poor management It seems the management use the trust as a vessel to better themselves only.

Always looking for punitive measure to censure staff.HR not available since they started agile working.The tail wags the dog, it’s an ambulance service but this service only works to the benefit of the corporate and support staff. The operations staff are an afterthought and inconvenience

Pros

Salary is ok Frontline and EOC staff try really hard Patients are a privilege

Cons

HR a law unto themselves, Middle management shaft staff to try get higher up the ladder, HR advisors absent since Covid, only pop up to put the boot in

I have found my first three years at NEAS amazing. I have grown as a person and have achieved more in this organisation than any other I have worked for in a shorter space of time. I find the management supportive and find the staff extremely friendly and approachable.

Pros

Work life balance Staff Career progression Personal development is encouraged

Cons

Of course there will be cons with anywhere you work but nothing that doesn't outweigh the pros.

Disappointing

Endless stress. Endless b*tching. Workers completely ignored by hopeless ‘managers’. Everyone hates everyone else and there are no team players. Sad state of affairs.

Challenging

NEAS is full of problems and hangups. It really comes down to individuals who actually look out for their staff and unfortunately they are few and far between. A very clear separation between senior management and working frontline staff. This job can be amazing and you will meet some brilliant people but the way NEAS is managed and ran will leave you wanting.

Pros

Autonomy, North East is an amazing place to call an office, some brilliant individuals

Cons

Poor management and leadership, poor work life balance, poor ROTAs

You learn a lot

EOC team leaders have favourites and won't listen to any problem or complaint if it about a chosen one even if that person is a known bully among colleagues and very incompetent at times. The bully get every special opportunity going and promoted instead. Nepotism at its finest- no reprimand due to the fact that their former team leader is best friends with the bully's partner.Progression is only possible if you're in a relationship or best friends with a team leader or section manager. Great colleagues.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

You're screwed if your face doesn't fit

Toxic, poorly managed & dangerous

I echo the other employees who state NEAS is poorly managed. The delays on 111/999 are atrocious and they have very little contingency or escalation plans. No quality improvement work. A “don’t care” attitude which is shocking for an ambulance service.

Pros

Blue light card. Free parking (if you can find a space)

Cons

Toxic environment, poor management, dangerous for patients

A bum on a seat

Terrible management who dont care about the staff. Zero support. Staff sent to work in covid outbreak zones and then returned to their own workplace the following day....and they wonder why the outbreak spread? Have to work every bank holiday, Christmas and New year's Eve. Zero effort to appropriately train staff will mean you're often left unsure what to do with your patient. And the very real possibility of killing them if you make a mistake. 300 calls waiting to be answered every weekend on the 111 line. Extremely stressful pressured environment where you're treated horrendously. Don't do it to yourself.

Pros

Blue light card

Cons

Stressful, no support, terrible management, you're also guaranteed to catch covid and bring it home to your family

Disregard for employees by management

I have worked for the NHS for many years and this is by far the worst place I have ever worked. Management do not listen to staff concerns, bullying prevails in this Trust. Don’t bother trying to speak up - no one cares enough to listen.It seems that Trust values do not apply to management. Time and time again the feelings of staff are ignored and disregarded.A horrible place to work, avoid at all costs.

Pros

Cons

Bullying culture

Hard work

You don’t get paid enough money to deal with what you have to deal with. Patients can be rude and hurtful. Management aren’t any help unless it can benefit them. Long hours, short breaks.

Pros

Blue light card (although you have to pay for it)

Terrible company to work

Absolutely joke and waste of time. Bully management that have no idea about the job, spending most of time behind desk. No work/life balance, "NOT family friendly" but claim to be. Ridiculous shift pattern like 4nights day off 4 days, do not expect finish on time. Salary for newly qualified paramedic "section 2" on same level with store cashier. Guidelines regard covid 19 changes every day, employee's left with poor or no protection. And much much more. Absolutely terrible company to work for. AVOID AVOID AVOID!!

Pros

Salary on time

Cons

Not all employees are treated equally

NEAS is the worst employer I’ve ever worked for. It’s one of those organisations where it’s if your face fits. I’ve never been treated so badly in a job before. It one rule for one and then another rule for the popular ones. For example. We’re supposed to have our criminal records checked because we work with vulnerable patients but some have had a blind eye turned to their criminal pasts, especially if you’re a gym owner or an ex MMA fighter for example. Everybody knows whos a criminal but because of being well known they think it makes them look good As an employer so they turn a blind eye. If I had been found guilty of fraud, violence or threats then I wouldn’t be allowed to work in the ambulance anymore. The same kind of staff who are only healthcare assistants (ECAs) are allowed to pretend to patients that they are doctors (medics) and patients over disclose as a result of this. Management and HR are aware of the bending the truth of job roles and miss representing themselves to members of the public as it has been reported many times but again they turn a blind eye even though evidence is available.It makes those of us who are paramedics feel undervalued. We go to university for years to earn a degree and it feels pointless when those who work under us are able to pretend to be our equals or superiors. It shouldn’t matter what somebody has done previously, they shouldn’t be allowed to lie and be dishonest just because of who they are.I’m sick of being bullied and undervalued. Why are we not all treated by the same rules. My advice if you want to make a difference to -

Pros

Getting to save lives

Cons

Working alongside convicted criminals who are MMA fighters and being frightened

Poor management and bullying culture

After working here for a number of years, the place is very badly run, no progression for long time staff unless you either rock the boat or your face fits. Long hours, bullying, late and missed meal breaks are all the norm! Managers that do no give a toss about staff, and tons of staff in HQ that all walk round with there noses in the air thinking they are something special. The best this about this service was leaving. I have got a better job and feel valued in my new job. Pity it took me so long to leave in the first place. Many lost years working for NEAS.

Pros

Cons

Bullying, long hours, missed meal breaks, poor management structure, bad attitude of CCM’s and higher managers.

Run away!

Extremely bad 'service' (aka company) to work for. Money is the ONLY motive, patients are a distant second and staff welfare is totally irrelevant. As staff, your a number, a bum on a seat and nothing more. The staff try their best, but are hindered by the Rota's, the HR team, the management and the board. Unions are toothless, managers are bullies and HR are toxic. Believe me when I say to avoid them at all costs!

Pros

NHS discount, job security

Cons

Low pay for responsibility, bullying managers, poor rotas, no work-life balance, no advancement opportunities.

A great place to work!

A great place to work, I love my job and enjoy going to work everyday infact this doesn't feel like a job to me. If you're caring and you're a people person this is the job for you. Patient's are great and this job is rewarding. I would say the only downside is the pay but isn't that what most people say about their jobs anyway!

Awful Employer - Toxic environment

Should you work for this employer ? My advice is no. If you'd like a career in the NHS, then please look elsewhere. Bullying is common place and management are simply terrible. Employer to be avoided at all cost. stuck in the dark ages. is huge. is either

Pros

Its a job.

Cons

But its a terrible place to work.

Toxic

There are cliques galore, Blatantly abusive and an encouraged nurtured protective Bullying culture. This is a breeding ground for nepotism and funny handshakes, extreme and shocking decisions made that have no structure or support to the taxpayer, to the patient and frontline staff. It has draconian incompetent unqualified management structure that just wants to get one up on staff (Note - not all). HR is an embarrassing shambles and is a farcical joke. They are not policed, grossly inept. The department needs a purge a good bowel motion to get rid of the sludge. The majority of the HR staff is rejects from various Trust that have finally painstakingly managed to get rid of. They then come along to NEAS (some with invites - mates of mates) and the Trust simply greats them with open arms and they find a safe harbour forever. The Trust simply don’t retain the good caring & intelligent HR staff that want to make a difference, support & attempt to stop the rot - they where off like scolded cats or bullied out. The clique/ illuminati just keep the bad ones that would not survive in another job. Advice - You need to drain the swamp! TAKE SOME LAXATIVES HAVE A LARGE BOWEL MOTION AND PASS THEM OUT. Policies for policy sake. Rules are bespoken and made up for the chosen and made up to suit situations and for the untouchables and not followed up - just cherry picked. Totally blatantly shocking. Mission Vision and Values WTF. It should be ‘If your face fits’ The last CEO ‘OBE’ was well aware all about this as she was told daily by unions and her caring staff. She was -

Just like any other out there...

‘Family friendly’ complete joke! Worked for 10+ years and its completely changed for the worst. Road staff are constantly punished for the high demand. No downtime for paperwork after a job. No welfare for staff. Changing our rotas with minimum notice and not caring about staff feelings. Because of demand. Instead of solving what isnt working - 111! They punish us. Now considering taking our protected mealbreaks! Avoid this seevice!

Terrible

Bullies all over in NEAS. If your face doesn't fit then your out. Avoid at all cost, not worth your time. You'll be tied to your phone all day, and be shot if you take a toilet break.

Pros

Cons

Poorly managed

For an NHS organisation, this place is shocking

Management are very unkind and unsympathetic to those with mental health problems. The rules are rarely followed and more senior managers bully those who are on the phones. A lot of underhand stuff goes on here and staff are treated terribly. It’s the sheer lack of breaks which wore me down, like a modern day sweatshop. I agree with other posts that there is so much effort put into recruiting but none put into retention. Many good people have left the business due to poor treatment. It’s really sad to see and demoralising too.

Pros

NHS discounts

Cons

Bullying and only one short break per day

bully mentality

a face fits company if your face fits you will go far if it doesn't you will go no where managers openly victimize staff, and people just stand by and watch like it's the norm.you have no work life balance,managers go against medical advice from there own oc health department just to get you back on the rota, i would certainly not recommend a job in the ambulance service

Pros

im struggling with this one

Cons

everything

Excellent

Amazing to.work for love the job going to work is enjoy my day to day job never two days the same love fixing things in the ambulance and medical equipment and to no I have done a good job that day

Pros

Good days out and about

Cons

Love being at work it a excellent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4

2.2
2.8
2.7
2.1
2.2

Compare North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust with

North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?