North Somerset Council

North Somerset Council Employee Reviews

Very hard work looking after challenging children in your home , can be rewarding at times but also very challenging and because you are basically bringing them up you cant go home after your shift so to speak.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
24 hour job
Good overall care for employees. Supportive & fair. Encouraging. Excellent provision for furthering career. Training provided. Workspace comfortable, colleagues exceptionally good to work with. ICT helpful and professional
fast paced and stressful; need to be knowledgeable of relevant legislation, policies and procedures to carry out work effectively. team work is essential; everyone is a team player.
Very busy café in summer, I am learning to manage the main till and coffee machine. The management is good but the supervisors are better and my colleagues are very cool and hard working people.
Pros
Cons
No enough shifts in winter.
Great place to work, where things never remain the same. ... You are made to take on as much work as you can possibly manage, plus extra. There isn't really a support system in place if you can't manage your workload due to lack of staff.
A very diverse organisation, ranging from Adults and young peoples Care, Highway services, Regulatory services, Public Health services, Seafronts an leisure services and many more. Which offer, with a wide range of jobs from casual staff, apprentices, professional qualifications, middle management to CEO Great place to work, where things never remain the same. Service delivery is paramount, which in turn has its financial challenges.
Pros
Office location
Cons
internal procedures
Working for Agilisys was not as bad as I heard it to be. However, In the two years that I spent working there we had 4 different managers. General management was poor, team managers that hardly knew what they were doing and floor managers that didn't care as long as their jobs were easy and targets were met. It's a very stressful job. You are made to take on as much work as you can possibly manage, plus extra. There isn't really a support system in place if you can't manage your workload due to lack of staff. You have to work very hard for VERY little pay. There is NO opportunity to progress any further from desk/telephone jockey. The people I worked with were very warming individuals, however as a team - well, there was no team. People who are only interested in doing there own work even if they have capacity, although are the first to whine if they themselves want help. Could get very venomous, although I think that's just a price you pay for working with a majority female team. All in all, looking back I realize that it wasn't as bad as i thought it was at the time. If the wages were higher I'd probably go back. Or it's a good job to start off in to get some experience under your belt.
Pros
Busy office environment, easy to get along with colleges, plenty of work to keep the day going, decent discount benefit system.
Cons
poor management, lack of support, low wages
Exceptional challenges with equally exceptional opportunities. Highly motivated and experienced staff enabling the authority to punch well above its weight and a deliver highly efficient services.
My team was fantastic to work with and the council give generous pay and flexi time. They were going through cuts and redundancies though in various teams which was unfortunate.
Pros
Generous pay and flexi time.
Cons
Council cuts including jobs
Nice place to work in, good salary. I was emloyed by agency and by Council in the same role and agency paid so much more than Council. I left the job just few months after I signed contract with the Council.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at North Somerset Council?
All the benefits of working in a LA - e.g. flexible working, good arrangements re child care etc, good salary, but very hierarchical structure and backward culture. not a very innovative place and very hard to change things.
Pros
Flexible working. Good salary.
Cons
Lack of innovation
Getting into arguements everyday. No support from management. A very disliked job from the public. Numbers numbers numbers !! Working every weekend. Taught one thing but reality another.
Pros
Cons
No management backing and are heartless
Worked mainly out of the office on a one to one basis with the case I was dealing with, I would then update all information gained and liaise with the designated social worker. I rarely stayed within the office environment. Having worked for the police for over 13 years, working within social services was an eye opener. But it was good to see the other side and fully understand the stresses and strains. My line manager was great, always positive towards my work and the fact that I would just get on with my role. Weekly one to one meetings were very valuable. Hardest part of my job was not having the tools to do the job, but the most enjoyable was just being able to strike a conversations up with my individual cases - where others had failed. Building up relationships & trust was my main strength whilst in the role
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Not enough support from senior management
It wasn't the best arranged apprenticeship, but I took some useful skills away from my time there. I enjoyed the work life the team I worked in were excellent and very supportive.
A lovely time providing day supporti for people with Lesrning Disabilities. Unfortunately they were unable to provide me with enough hours. Nothing more to say. Nothing more to say. Nothing more to say.
Pros
Delightful
Cons
Not enough hours available
Contract currently held by Biffa. Driving the bin lorry is a good job if you want local work. I have been doing the job for nearly 12 years and have overall found it a good place to work. I now feel it is time for me to get back out on the open road rather than the stop start work of refuse.
Pros
Early start
Cons
Working bank holidays
Work was within continuing reductions in public sector finance and so this presented challenges in demand led services. Working with budget holders and other finance staff was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
uncertainty
Innovative place to work. High level of patient care in all departments and also within staff ethos. Was made comfortable to pursue my work in a creative way.
I would say although accommodating this local authority has a long way to embedding in real change and bringing the town through a period of regeneration. I think they could be more inclusive and encouraging of different personalities.
This is a good place to work. can be very busy and hard work at times but overall i have really enjoyed working here and the other staff and management are all very easy to get on with.
The day centre is run to a very high professional standard where the whole team work amazing together. There any never any issues with staff as we chip in to help one another when needed.