North West Ambulance Service
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

North West Ambulance Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom63 reviews

Can be rewarding

I enjoyed my first 10 years with this service but experienced for the first time being bullied. Although I had been numerous times to speak with management about the goings on, nothing was done to support myself or help in anyway. Mental health kicked in and I saw that I couldn't carry on any longer. So I left. My leaving interview had my manager in shock as he didn't realise how bad it was. It was a massive shame as I was a credit to them and I felt I was let down at every angle.

Pros

Job satisfaction

Cons

Bullying does exist

Ok

Micro management is the main problem, annual leave system is ridiculous, it needs complete overhaul, far to difficult to book any. Bad attitude from some management

Insights into North West Ambulance Service

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals

111 health advisor

Be warned if you have a Job and see this as a career progression like I did DONT DO IT... you get clearance offered the job unconditionally and given your contract to then be given a test and if you fail it you can resit it but then if you fail they terminate your contract... with no s*** given!! The test is just based on what you have learnt in literally 3days absolutely disgusting to treat people that way! Like a call handler is based on that knowledge rather than the experience they have...

Cons

Offer you the job and its all false pretences

Poor place to work

Bullying management. Lucky to get one break all shift . When a complaint is lodged it is always the staffs fault . Mental health care for staff poor .

Cons

Employees only last three months.

Working at NWAS can be very satisfying, it’s always a proud moment to put your uniform on for the first time. The training is really good however it can be intense and you do have to pass the exams. The work soon becomes very boring and is very monitored similar to a sales role. There is little support and a lot of micro managing (eg toilet breaks timed, all about stats) however, it can be very satisfying and it’s always good to help the callers. 111 is very looked down on by paramedics, health care workers and the 999 staff which can knock your confidence and make you not appreciate the work that you’re doing. My whole team left within 3 - 6 months, many were off with depression and anxiety before that and many were medicated. Management are nice yet everyone still leaves. We were warned on our first day by the head of 111 that it is a very lonely job. It is shocking to see the strain on the ambulance service and you will get the stick for it from the public. It can be upsetting but very rewarding. As a whole the company do have ways to progress and train up into other roles. If I was to join again I’d join as 999 rather than 111.

Pros

NHS discount, opportunities, pay

Cons

Mental health, very high turnover, lonely.

Good workplace

Challenging yet fun environment to work in - I enjoy working here. Management are great and the location is easy to get to. Day goes fast and colleagues are friendly and supportive.

Pros

Salary/benefits

productive and pressurised

fast paced, pressurised, emotional, good team workmost enjoyable was seeing the faces of patients who felt they were being looked after and cared for

Just hope you never need mental health support

Given that the UK is hot on mental health, NWAS could not be more different. Completely unsupportive. Different treatment for different staff members, no consistency of rules.All ground staff are lovely. It is senior management which seriously need to get their act together. If you get a job here, just hope you never need emotional support or understanding, because you simply will not get it. Which is ironic, given the nature of the job and the mental health patients that are seen each day.

Great colleagues

A typical day at work involves responding to 999 calls. Lower management are great, however I cannot comment on middle to upper management as we rarely have any contact with them. The hardest part of the job is working nights, the constant changing of policies and procedures and not being permitted to do things you are trained in that would benefit the Trust and patients. The most enjoyable part of the job is obviously helping people and saving lives.

Cons

Nights

Great colleagues, great management, great benefits

Working for NWAS is ok. The only drawback for my particular job (I work at 111) is that the role is the same from start to finish and it isn’t varied. That is the only downfall. However don’t let this put you off from applying, it really is a great employer. I don’t mince my words and would say if it wasn’t the case.

Pros

Great benefits and pension scheme

Cons

Progression is difficult and limited and the role is not varied.

very poor

Stressful work without managerial support. Poor work life balance, blame culture with unfair treatment of staff, bullying, intimidation and discrimination evident. Would not recommend

Pros

patient contact

Cons

Very, very poor management

Call Centre culture

Extremely poor HR and managerial support when most needed, and extremely poor temporary disability support (= zero support). Don't follow their own policies. Disregard for staff or staff needs. Poor staff retention. You find out very quickly that you are literally just a payroll number, and there is no value put on skills and experience brought to the role from elsewhere. Bums on seats, or you're out. Clinicians cannot see other people's off-duty to attempt swaps, and no rota requests can be put forward beforehand to allow for hospital appointments etc. Also extremely hard to get annual leave requests granted. This combination makes for a very difficult work-life balance. These types of basic staff management benefits are commonplace in other organisations to boost staff morale and improve staff retention. Also, it is a very solitary role, even when sat with colleagues close by. It is you, your PC, your headset, and your patient on the line. You literally are stuck sat at a desk for every shift, and electronically timed for every movement such as breaks, loo etc. If you value close team working, time spent reflecting with colleagues and physical patient contact, then this really isn't the job for you. NWAS 111 is honestly the worst NHS organisation I have ever worked for.

Pros

Knowledgeable and supportive clinical colleagues

Cons

Poor management/HR practices, poor staff support, and lack of flexibility

Fast Paced environment

Good place to work for those that can learn quickly and cope under stress and time pressures. good line management structure offers support although some senior managers disconnected from day to day work

Great people and a rewarding job

Helping patients who needed transport either to or from hospital. Moving patients within the hospital. Every day is different and there are lots of challenges. You need to be able to think on your feet. Great support and back up. Colleagues are very supportive and a great bunch of caring people. Some challenges in who your partner might be but mostly good.

Repetitive but relaxed

Packing medicine pouches on a rota and a little admin to break the cycle. Developed knowledge of medicines used within the Trust which aided in the completion of the Medicines course that was paid for by NWAS. Relaxed atmosphere and good banter from your colleagues.

Fantastic

Being able to work there on placement was a fantastic opportunity, I would happily do it again if I could. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking at going into motor vehicle work.

Bullying culture

Bullying culture from managers and control . If a patient complaint comes in , you basically are judged guilty , until you can prove your innocence. Even then the managers will look at your paperwork etc , to see if they can discipline you for anything else . Staff are frightened to go sick as they get a immediate overtime ban aa

Dynamic place to work

NWAS is an innovator of change and likes to encourage its staff members to voice their ideas and opinions. Especially within the Urgent Care department, we lead change and embrace the need to adapt to all situations.

Productive and great place to work

The RLC location is easy access from the motorway and the location is a pleasant place place to work. There is a great work/life balance and the management are very welcoming and helpful. There is a relaxed work atmosphere and the facilities are modern.

Not recommmended

Old school management, put company needs ahead of staff mental health and needs. Expect staff to work over their assigned hours, and return next day at normal start time even though they've not had the legal time away from work. Do not allow enough time to carry out proper safety checks on the vehicles. Expect you to put job before your family.

Front line staff should avoid

You'll work alongside good people, and sometimes you feel like you're actually helping people. You also can't bring work home. But then management let you down. You finish late every day, you're pressured into driving unroadworthy vehicles at high speed. The control room treat you as a number -- forget going to the toilet, eating or drinking. Your only responsibility is to get to jobs as fast as possible, even if that means harming yourself or others. There's next to no mental health support. You'll struggle, and finally, you'll have to go off sick. And then they try to manage you out. This is a workplace to avoid. It looks attractive from the outside, but inside you'll soon realise that everyone is unhappy and looking for a way out.

Pros

Can't bring work home

Cons

Poor management, late finishes (almost daily), poor support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North West Ambulance Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement