NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

I joined NYCC during lockdown restrictions last year which has made integrating into the team more difficult but the team have been very supportive. The Covid workplace restrictions mean that homeworking has become the norm and there is all the support that I need to make this work. My line manager is superb and has given me all the support and encouragement I need. The work is varied and plentiful, making the days pass quickly. All in all, a great place to work.
Pros
Great team to be in, welcoming, friendly and supportive with a good manager
Cons
None that I can think of.
4 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and its great to hear such a positive message. Working remotely can be difficult for those that have been with the Council some time, so it must be harder to start through lockdown, I'm really pleased to hear you have received and continue to have the support you need to do your job and that you are enjoying it.
I have been working for NYCC for 5 years now having previously worked in the private sector. I absolutely love working for NYCC, the work is fast paced and diverse so life is never boring! I have some amazing colleagues and find the team spirit and work ethos second to none. Everyone is prepared to go the extra mile to ensure great service delivery. I have felt extremely fortunate to work for an employer who believes in flexible working, particularly under the challenges Covid has presented us with. I would highly recommend a career with NYCC.
Pros
Flexible working, working from home, great IT kit, generous annual leave, good pension, competitive salary
5 March 2021
Thanks so much for your positive review of working here and to hear that you're feeling and experiencing the great culture within the council. Great to hear you are working with a great team. Thanks for your hard work and we agree it is great place to work.
No two days are the same .... or ever will be.Severe weather events sometimes impinge on your personal time, but it's infrequent.The local team are excellent. I can rely on them to get the job done without fuss.Everyone is happy to muck in.No issues to date.COVID working arrangements currently so little time in the office.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Work Variety, Team
Cons
Workload at times - sometimes not enough hours in the day, but not constantly
4 March 2021
Thank you for your review. Highways has recently experienced some tough working conditions due to the recent weather we have had, but as a service they have delivered outstanding service to the residents of North Yorkshire. I'm pleased to hear you have an excellent local team. Our flexible working oppportunities is one of the great benefits we offer. Thanks for your hard work, we appreciate the work you do.
My team is all working remotely from home due to the Covid pandemic. From the start I was provided with the hardware and information to seamlessly log-in and virtually meet the team.There is a lot of training on offer with a real focus on "growing their own."Management have been supportive, encouraging fresh ideas with a lot of useful and informative communication.Great place to work - looking forward to eventually being able to meet my team mates in person!
4 March 2021
Thanks so much for such a positive review, I really enjoyed reading your review. Its great to hear you're feeling and experiencing the great culture within the Council. I'm glad you are receiving the support and encouraged to contribute to your team. I hope you continue to find North Yorkshire County Council a great place to work!
I am part of a large passionate and forward thinking team who work closely with staff to grow the "modern council" we are. Having joined during lockdown - May 2020 (and still never been to the office or met my team in person) I can't thank them enough for the level of support and encouragement I have received. My training has been fantastic and I feel complete satisfaction and reward in my work area. I enjoy working with colleagues within my Directorate and look forward to a long future of working for the council.
Pros
Flexible Working, benefits of working for the Council, support from colleagues
4 March 2021
Thank you for such a detailed review and pleased to hear you have received such great support and training whilst starting with us during lockdown, it certainly can't be easy trying to integrate in remote conditions. As a Council, we aim to become a "Modern Council" and really appreciate your view that this has been your experience to date, and I hope you continue to find us a great place to work.
Job was ok at first but now there is no clear line manager as they left. No one else appointment to that role and I'm left to manage myself and no one checks up that everything is well/No performance management. The children are lovely though and the hours currently suit my lifestyle.
Pros
Hours that suit family life
Cons
No clear line manager
4 March 2021
Thank you for writing a review of your experience here at North Yorkshire Council. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. Please email us at ResourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk as we would like to learn more from your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this so that we can take action, in the strictest confidence.
Sadly I left nycc in late January 2020 after 4 years ,sadly I found management unwilling to listen or just not capable of taking the time out when staff were quite clearly stressed, one manager remarked that if paperwork not done then dont give their enhancementsI approached one senior manager on behalf of my colleagues to request that staff are recognised when stressed and a simple are you ok ,the look I received, I thought I'd grown 2 heads ,she either did not understand or did not care,I fear the latter was more relevant to her train of thought .,I fear my concerns were brushed under the carpet ,I was good at being a support worker ,but supported we were not,!!!!!!! I became concerned at the lack of support and left
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Mis management
Fair employer hours to suit good atmosphere friendly staff organized pleasant setting happy experiences,not enough midday supervisory staff/underpaid
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Not enough staff
4 March 2021
Thank you for your review, I'm glad to hear it sounds like you're enjoying your role generally, even though it sounds like it has some challenges too, I'll pass on your comments to Carlton in Snaith School, but if you have any additional info on the recruitment decisions, please feel free to email us at ResoucringSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk
The salary per hour is reasonable but it is difficult to get sufficient hours to earn a decent living. There's all the usual PC BS but that's par for the course. A lot of teachers (myself included) eventually resign through burnout after trying to hold down 3 or 4 part-time jobs just to make a crust.
4 March 2021
Thank you writing your review and I'm sorry to hear you could not have sufficient hours working for us. This is a vital service to our residents in North Yorkshire and would really appreciate any ideas you may have to improve or offer to tutors such as yourself, please email us at ResourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk to discuss further in the strictest of confidence.
In a 20 year career this was the worst organisation I ever worked for. Disorganised, wasting public money, left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing most of the time.
4 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we're sorry to read your comments about your experience. We would like the opportunity to discuss the issues you have stated, could you email us at ResourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk where your email will be dealt with in the strictest of comments.
Overall I do enjoy working for NYCC. I like making a difference to peoples lives, and I enjoy supporting people to get back on their feet (rehab worker). However, there is a few things that I would change if I could. For starters, the shift patterns are really really bad. I finish work at 10pm and sometimes am in at 7am the next morning. HOW can anyone do their job effectively being deprived of so much sleep? When we bring this up with management we get the same continuity of care response. I feel there is a negative dynamic at times making it an unpleasant atmosphere to work in. Also it is frustrating we get a lot of clients in unsuitable for the level of care they need. But I do find it a supportive place to work and it is nice that they help staff struggling in a non judgemental way.
Needs to be more honest when taking people on saying it was a permanent position and turns out, now that has impacted me on getting a job role back within North Yorkshire county council
Really enjoyed my time in employment at the school. Always a fun day at work with the children, helping to provide a range of activities and support children's learning in a fun and engaging way through after school clubs they were interested in.
4 March 2021
Hi - thanks for taking the time to write a review. I really enjoyed reading your review and it's great to hear that you had a good experience and pleased to hear you were able to contribute to the activities provided for children. Thank you
I would recommend working for the council as there were lots of opportunities to train and change job roles. The work was demanding and not flexible but the managers were nice and were able to explain why. Encouragement was given at every opportunity.
4 March 2021
Thank you for leaving a review and recommending us as an employer. I understand your comments about the job not been flexible, unfortunately due to the nature of school hours it would have been difficult to offer flexible working, but it's great to hear of your positive experience.
Worked at the school in hemingbrough the headteacher would allow the lights on outside but still expected to work in the dark outdoors gritting the ground couldn't see what i was doing. No support from managers at all. They had no concerns about my safety whilst at work. Seem to be more concerned about costs all the time. I was given a t shirt that didnt fit. Manager only came to see me to full in her paperwork
4 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We would like to learn more from your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this so that we can take action, in the strictest confidence, if you could send an email ResourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk we'll contact you.
Money, progression and annual leave were pretty good. Challenging young people and sometimes not the best colleagues to feel safe and supported. Overall it was ok. Not the best. Not the worst.
4 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear about the challenges you had, if you have any suggestions on how to improve our working conditions please email us at ResourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk your email will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
a good place to work although very stressful at time a good workforce and ongoing training.to keep up to date within the work, able to fit work life and home life quite easy,
4 March 2021
Thank you for your review, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your role generally, even though it sounds like it has some challenges too. Great to hear that you had such a good experience of some of the key employee benefits we have to offer. Thanks again for taking the time to feed back to us.
Have worked here for nearly 15years and can safely say that the culture is terrible. Toxic Directors and Assistant Directors firing people and performing constructive dismissal all the time. Childish and gung-ho attitudes to common real life issues where staff are punished for events outside of their control. Nearly at pensionable age now, and my advice to others is to avoid working here. PLEASE. It is stressful, terrible for your mental health and you can always do better.
Pros
Good scenery on the commute.
Cons
Horrible work environment. Unstable job prospects.
4 March 2021
Thank you for writing a review of your experience here at North Yorkshire Council. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. I'm sorry to hear about your experience and would like the opportunity to discuss further in the strictest of confidence. Please email us at resourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk
Excellent place to work. Good work life balance. Good support in workplace. Flexible attitude to work patterns. Very friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
4 March 2021
Thank you for taking to time to write this review, and it's great to hear such a positive message. As you may know there is considerable focus on additional support and motivation for employees, and our recent staff survey is proving a fantastic tool for making sure we put our energy in the right area. Thank's for your hard work, and I hope you continue to find North Yorkshire County Council a lovely place to work.
Management have no idea of the job, no support, no training that reflects the job.. If you have a brain then your thought of as a trouble maker. Expected to drive vehicles unfit for purpose and illegally.
5 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry the hear about the issues you have faced. We are confident in the maintenance regime for our vehicles and their fitness for purpose. All vehicles have breakdowns occasionally and we respond accordingly. We believe our training is thorough and appropriate for the use of the vehicles and that our procedures and ethos ensures that vehicles are not used illegally, however, we are keen to learn more from your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss so we can look into this more, if you would like to email us at ResourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk your email will be dealt in the strictest of confidence. Thank you
Poor people management and farcical grievance policy in my personal experience. Unfortunately it's one of the few large employers in the area, so little prospects elsewhere.
4 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that your time here was not to your satisfaction. We would like to learn more from your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this so that we can take action, in the strictest confidence. Please email us at ResourcingSolutions@northyorks.gov.uk