Northern Ireland Civil Service
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

Working at Northern Ireland Civil Service: Latest Northern Ireland Civil Service Reviews

United Kingdom49 reviews

civilserviceflexibleopportunitystaffenjoyworkinghour

Easy going

Easy going. Safe job. Good working hours. Can work from home if you’re in IT side of things. Clueless senior management though who have no common sense or logic.

laid back experience

a laid back place to work. I have worked here throughout the pandemic and continue to do so. Flexible working arrangements in place, which help with work/life balance

Insights into Northern Ireland Civil Service

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Depends on what department you work for

I did 9 years for DFC/DWP, Belfast benefit centre and this was a terrible experience and I would not advise anyone on seeking employment here. After 8 hard years of trying to get out I finally moved firstly to DfI and the Department of Education. Both departments are amazing and in the last few years my career has advanced since I left the Plaza benefits office. Unfortunately for lower grade new entrants there is a possibility they might end up in this type of department which I compare to a badly run call centre. However for anyone lucky enough to go into Department of Education or Infrastructure, then this is a great opportunity and I’d thoroughly recommend

Excellent

A fantastic work environment, friendly colleagues and management. Opportunities to undertake courses to improve yourself.Agency staff unable to apply for permanent employment other than through external recruitment drive - despite doing the job.

Pros

Work life balance, home working, great colleagues

Cons

Stability / no permanent opportunity for agency staff

In Forestry Division mainly office work, good learning experience. Then I worked for Police Federation and loved the work in various police stations.

Days were always exciting and different. Taking shorthand during interrogations and typing from confidential tapes. Hardest job was audio typing serious crimes which was harrowing. Loved the teamwork working with office and police staff in various police stations. We reported to the Chief Superintendent who managed the Police Station.

Pros

Good althought few pros - good pay and good teamwork.

Cons

Long hours. Danger at work on a daily basis. Moving between stations at short notice.

Good place to work, very hard to get a transfer to a different department.

On the whole a good place to work, the people are mostly friendly, the work can be hard and stressful, a lot depends on the department you are placed in and therefore the type of work you are involved in. Promotions are very hard to come by, you have to be in the right place at the right time. Job security flexi time and leave is generally good.

Pros

Flexi time and leave

Cons

Can stressful work

Would never recommend

Poor and stressful. Management don’t care and there is a culture of bullying within our establishment. I would never encourage anyone to go into this area of the Civil service.

Working as a census enumerator you pick your own hours

So long as you get the work done ,it’s fine ,plenty of help from Ctc ,online meetings to keep everyone updated as to how we are getting on with the job,

Job was excellent but Management were very rude

I had a disability and I worked as hard as I could. I never got any credit from my Director at all whom was my manager. The Director prior to him was a gentleman.

Pros

Flexi hours

Cons

Had to pay for boss tea, then when he told me to take the money out of his pocket to pay for same, he said I stole it.

Boring sterile workplace with no direction

Poor management, poor direction, inflation rising higher than the rate of pay. Staff overworked and holes plugged with agency staff. Staff not informed when changes are made.

Pros

Flexi Hours

Cons

Poor management

Nics

It can be a job for life and has some great perks I.e. flexi hours, all public and bank holidays and 6 weeks leave per year. You could end up working with some great people

Pleased with Civil Service

Overall I enjoyed working for the Civil Service and would apply again if the opportunity arose. The benefits included flexi - time and a decent amount of holidays. Colleagues were friendly and welcoming Management expected hard work and committment but were usually very approachable if any problems arose. Work is varied and can involve phone calls with the public.

enjoyable place to work

adequate training and a good team made it easier to work there, the 51 week contract workers do not have the same security as the full time civil service workers

Secure and permanent

My career in the NICS stretched over 29 years. I had the opportunity to grow and develop during the span of my career. I started off in a clerical admin role and progressed to supervisory jobs in Finance, Lone Parent Advisor an latterly Premises Officer. As a premises office I was in charge of the heath and safety and well being of the 180 employees and all public who called to the office daily. It was both a challenging and fulfilling role. I managed both facilities staff, porterage and security personnel. I was responsible for the Fire Safety and induction training and the annual compliance check as dictated by the Health and Safety of Work Act. I enjoyed a good working relationship with my colleagues,the HSE and all the maintenance contractors.

Procurement

Secure place to work. Good opportunities, varied work, promotion opportunities. Excellent training. Plenty of locations on offer. Part time posts exist. Flexible working hours.

NICS Occupational Therapist Mental Health

Good job security and benefits with regards to sickness absence and maternity leave. However poor payscale in relation to the NHS and other ocupational health providers.

Excellent Conditions

Lots of opportunities for advancement & working in different environments to gain experience of many aspects of Government. Actively encouraged to go forward for promotion.

Challenging and rewarding place to work

I have worked in the civil service for over 40 years in various roles from administrating benefits, managing teams, training to working in various parts of the HR Team. I have found my career to be varied, challenging, rewarding and interesting and I would recommend the NICS as a great place to work

Pros

Varied roles

Cons

Commute

Loved this job

While daily tasks were consistent, each day was different. I worked flexi hours and was able to build up enough hours to take days off. I enjoyed being part of the team and feeling valued. There was no hard part to the job. I enjoyed reconciling the daily pay runs and helping people with queries.

Pros

flexi hours

Cons

Non merit based organisation where people with management experience or skill are encouraged to make a mess of things

To get ahead in NICS all you have to do is agree with your manager. Dialogue and reason are discouraged has this only goes against the decision which has already been made.

Pros

Flexi

Cons

Completely useless management

9am -5pm

Structured day of tasks Learned to start earlier to build your flexi Great management at all levels meeting new people and enjoying breaks in the day Finishing when you want

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Ireland Civil Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Northern Ireland Civil Service with

Learn about Northern Ireland Civil Service in popular locations

• Northern Ireland Civil Service
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?