Northern Ireland Civil Service

Northern Ireland Civil Service Employee Reviews

Working as a census enumerator you pick your own hours

So long as you get the work done ,it’s fine ,plenty of help from Ctc ,online meetings to keep everyone updated as to how we are getting on with the job,

Would never recommend

Poor and stressful. Management don’t care and there is a culture of bullying within our establishment. I would never encourage anyone to go into this area of the Civil service.

Job was excellent but Management were very rude

I had a disability and I worked as hard as I could. I never got any credit from my Director at all whom was my manager. The Director prior to him was a gentleman.

Pros

Flexi hours

Cons

Had to pay for boss tea, then when he told me to take the money out of his pocket to pay for same, he said I stole it.

Boring sterile workplace with no direction

Poor management, poor direction, inflation rising higher than the rate of pay. Staff overworked and holes plugged with agency staff. Staff not informed when changes are made.

Pros

Flexi Hours

Cons

Poor management

Nics

It can be a job for life and has some great perks I.e. flexi hours, all public and bank holidays and 6 weeks leave per year. You could end up working with some great people

Pleased with Civil Service

Overall I enjoyed working for the Civil Service and would apply again if the opportunity arose. The benefits included flexi - time and a decent amount of holidays. Colleagues were friendly and welcoming Management expected hard work and committment but were usually very approachable if any problems arose. Work is varied and can involve phone calls with the public.

enjoyable place to work

adequate training and a good team made it easier to work there, the 51 week contract workers do not have the same security as the full time civil service workers

Secure and permanent

My career in the NICS stretched over 29 years. I had the opportunity to grow and develop during the span of my career. I started off in a clerical admin role and progressed to supervisory jobs in Finance, Lone Parent Advisor an latterly Premises Officer. As a premises office I was in charge of the heath and safety and well being of the 180 employees and all public who called to the office daily. It was both a challenging and fulfilling role. I managed both facilities staff, porterage and security personnel. I was responsible for the Fire Safety and induction training and the annual compliance check as dictated by the Health and Safety of Work Act. I enjoyed a good working relationship with my colleagues,the HSE and all the maintenance contractors.

Procurement

Secure place to work. Good opportunities, varied work, promotion opportunities. Excellent training. Plenty of locations on offer. Part time posts exist. Flexible working hours.

NICS Occupational Therapist Mental Health

Good job security and benefits with regards to sickness absence and maternity leave. However poor payscale in relation to the NHS and other ocupational health providers.

Jobs at Northern Ireland Civil Service

See more jobs

Excellent Conditions

Lots of opportunities for advancement & working in different environments to gain experience of many aspects of Government. Actively encouraged to go forward for promotion.

Challenging and rewarding place to work

I have worked in the civil service for over 40 years in various roles from administrating benefits, managing teams, training to working in various parts of the HR Team. I have found my career to be varied, challenging, rewarding and interesting and I would recommend the NICS as a great place to work

Pros

Varied roles

Cons

Commute

Loved this job

While daily tasks were consistent, each day was different. I worked flexi hours and was able to build up enough hours to take days off. I enjoyed being part of the team and feeling valued. There was no hard part to the job. I enjoyed reconciling the daily pay runs and helping people with queries.

Pros

flexi hours

Cons

Non merit based organisation where people with management experience or skill are encouraged to make a mess of things

To get ahead in NICS all you have to do is agree with your manager. Dialogue and reason are discouraged has this only goes against the decision which has already been made.

Pros

Flexi

Cons

Completely useless management

9am -5pm

Structured day of tasks Learned to start earlier to build your flexi Great management at all levels meeting new people and enjoying breaks in the day Finishing when you want

Admin Officer in the NICS

My time in the Northern Ireland Civil Service was only as a temporary Worker. I got the job through a recruitment agency and honestly it wasn't the most positive work as I was dealing with people that couldn't find work, had a disability or an illness that prevented them from working. But the job was very satisfying. I enjoyed getting to help people that were less fortunate and needed the help to get back into work. I enjoyed every money that I worked in the Northern Ireland Civil Service

Pros

Flexi-Hours

Student Placement - Outstanding Opportunities

Brilliant opportunity for students wishing to gain experience in the communications sector. Fast paced and must be able to work on own initiative. Great employee support unit.

Pros

Flexi

Cons

Pressure

Good Salary and benefits

Good Salary and benefits but difficult to progress quickly. Benefits include flexible working and access to higher education funding. Great pension scheme

Poorly managed

Poor management, difficult career progression, no respect for work life balance but secure and enjoyable workplace. Different branches and even offices are the same and training is provided and you can apply for different roles.

Pros

Secure. Full sick pay.

Cons

You are just a number and not valued.

Pleasant relaxed work environment

Sort days delivery of post for various department delivery. Reception duties as required. Receive, sort deliveries of goods, stationary etc. Various deliveries to departments throughout the day. Learned effective team working. Management were relaxed and easy to work with. Workplace culture, once again relaxed but accuracy and hard work essential requirements. Hardest part was physical handling of heavy orders. Most enjoyable - fun, relaxed team and management.

Pros

Relaxed environment.

Cons

Early, 8am start.

Reasonable place to work

So long ago I can hardly recall! Good staff relations, good team work, flexible hours, reasonable annual leave, good prospects within civil service and good training given.

Pros

Annual leave, flexible hours

Cons

Ever changing policies and procedures

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Ireland Civil Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement

Compare Northern Ireland Civil Service with

• Northern Ireland Civil Service
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?