Northern Trains

Northern Trains Employee Reviews

I use to work for Northern, although the job was physically hard I really enjoyed it, you have to be a team player in this job role...as in helping each other out and being there for each other while on shift, its easy to just do your own thing and not want to be part of a team but the important thing with this job is that you ARE part a team and being a team player is very much part of the job. Some of the Team Leaders I worked with back then were great, if management don't like you....you'll definitely not get anywhere within this job, and they can also block you from working else where within the depot.It's a hard job, so don't go into this thinking other wise, it's good money but you do have to graft very hard to earn it!!Permanent nights are very hard to get use to, as it's hard to balance out your work and social life. Great bunch of people who work there and not just within the train presentation teams.It's a good job with good prospects if your a hard grafter.
Pros
Good salary, part of a working team, free travel on Metro and discounted travel on other trains
Cons
Having 22 years experience both on trains and in the Control the work can change from easy going to excessively stressful. An incident on the railway happens regularly and you have to deal with all aspects of the incident professionally. Dealing with emotional people both staff and passengers either front line or over the telephone is very challenging. Reviewing situations that have been managed well gives enormous job satisfaction.
Pros
Travel concessions
Cons
Occasional bad days
People will always need trains . Seven days a week . If you work a lot of days then you can earn the money . But be careful of your work / life balance . Also remember Bank Holidays and other times . This is not a 9 to 5 job .
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Unsocial hours
I dont mind my job its great even thou i clean up after the public its a pleasure because of the people i work with so it makes it a lot easieri have leaned alot being at this company you can certainly move up and go from different jobs if you are willing to work hard for it, the hardest part of the job is were i just doin nights constantly it takes a while getting used to but still good place to work and my favourite part of the job it working with others as a team
Pros
Team work and using my initiative alot
Cons
Free travel on nothern train's
  1. Employee reviews