Northumbria Police
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Northumbria Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom84 reviews

Tough job. But great rewards.

Northumbria Police is consistently one of the best performing forces in the country and they strive to be the absolute best.The 'job' is far from perfect. But as an organisation, they do offer help and support where needed.I'll give my honest opinion having just retired in 2022 with 30 years pensionable service.It's nothing like Line of Duty. Even the reality cop shows only show the good/exciting bits. It's a tough role to fulfil - no one rings with good news! You have to be prepared to 'put your had in the lion's mouth' at times. It sounds dramatic, but you will run towards danger, when others are fleeing from it.You must be prepared to deal with things that you've never encountered before. It can be frightening, exciting and very fulfilling all at the same time.No matter what happens, police officers are resourceful and well trained. There is always someone who can help and advise. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Pros

Job security, reasonable pay, team spirit, support from line managers, staff with honesty and integrity, diverse and non discriminatory, recognition for good work, a job that brings pride and satisfaction, lateral development available, promotion prospects available.

Cons

Long hours, regular weekends and night shifts, dealing with some of the worst in society, lots of paperwork and tight deadlines, stressful pressurised job, verbal and physical abuse from criminals, be prepared to change your views on society and look at people and things with cynicism, convoluted working processes, vocation not a job so effectively on duty 24/7 and you behaviour off duty is important.

Poor Organisational Culture

Offers a very good range of flexibility to Police Staff workers to do the job - although bureaucracy and delays for the most simple decisions and tasks makes the job almost impossible on a day to day basis for the Teams. Wellbeing is promoted as a key benefit but is challenging due to the volume of work in departments.

Pros

Flexi Time and Pension

Cons

Lack of Management Support, Lower Pay compared to Market Rates, Old Technology and Systems

Change of management resulted in change of direction.

What had been a decent department to work in suddenly became terrible. Change of leadership resulted in bullying and division of staff. People leaving in numbers poor moral. Good pay and some excellent colleagues let down by poor management.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Management poor

Solid long term employment

Every day is different shift work including nights. Good work colleagues wage pensions are good and secure for later life. The public can be disrespectful but it is part of the job. Excellent career and secure job .

Pros

Secure and long term benefits

Cons

Night shifts

Not a good experience for me

My ex wife made it as difficult as she could for me to pogress in the Police but as well as that I didnt trust anyone I worked with, felt unsupported by the job and superiors and most of all felt no respect from the community

Pros

Free uniform and good rates of overtime pay

Cons

Working with criminals daily and then you have to leave the office to Police

Dynamic and Professional

Good place to work. You are well trained and supported at all times to develop in your role.At times you have to deal with situations which are unpleasant and upsetting.

Pros

job Security

Cons

Shift work

Avoid

This organization had a culture of bullying and nepotism among the upper management which filtered down the ranks. Overall it was a pleasure to leave!

Pros

Retirement

Cons

Long hours with no recognition for hard work

Well balanced organisation

Cares for staff and their development. Caters for all cultures and disabilities. Promotes staff wellbeing and work-life balance. Offers good salary and pension.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Long shifts

If your face fits

Very back stabbing, and if your face fits then fine. Seems the more work you do the less respect you get. Sit back and do nothing and you will go up the career ladder

Worked here for over 30 years in many roles from front line policing, criminal investigation department, major incident teams, safeguarding, management of dangerous and offenders,, running burglary and pro active teams and finally working on the intelligence unit prior to retirement

Good job when i worked there

Changes have been made over the years. Practices have improved. Opportunities for advancement if you want it. It is important to work hard, and work well as a team member .

Pros

Usually good working cobditions

Good employer

Served full service enjoyed time as investigator. Force has numerous opportunities in various departments. Job satisfaction and the thought you are well valued

Pros

Team work

Cons

An exciting job with a number of different challenges.

Policing represents a good career opportunity. There is opportunity for advancement and to carry out a number of specialist roles. Every day is different and the challenges can be significant.

Great job, shame about the culture

I loved the job, and joined intending this to be career for life. Sadly my superiors had other ideas and made it impossible for me to have any kind of progression or even be considered for specialist training that would help me in my job. As a woman I was considered to be "up myself" because I was confident and willing to express my opinions, whereas men with similar traits were looked upon as leaders and really pushed to move on. This was several years ago now, and I really hope things have changed, but after 6 years of beating my head against that particular brick wall it was time to move onto something where my skills were appreciated.

Pros

Exciting, varied job

Cons

Toxic work culture for women

Fantastic Place to work

I have enjoyed working for Northumbria Police as I love working for a company that invests in their local community, the team I work with are highly professional and take pride in what they do. They have fantastic flexible working options and are extremely diverse.

Great Experience

Taught me a lot over the 30 years I was there. Gained a great insight into dealing with all members of Society and having a balanced approach to life.

Good

A lot of challenges which change on a daily basis with new methods and procedures . Some management have a lack of leadership skills and are incapable of adequately fulfilling their role.

Confused

Good people trying to do good things in difficult circumstances. Too many cooks ad a total lack of strategy make this a difficult place to work. Their is a tendency to react, rather than plan.

An experience not to be missed.

There is always something different to do every day and there are ample opportunities should you wish to seek them for either or bothpromotion and specialisation.

Exciting career

Self motivation essential, varied work with an abundance of challenges. Good team work and inter personal skills are essential together with a good work ethic.

Great career.

Like any job you get out of Northumbria Police exactly what you put in. Hard work and a good attitude is quickly recognised and rewarded. Fantastically rewarding!

Pros

Job Satisfaction

Cons

Attitudes towards police, long hours, not always appreciated by the public.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northumbria Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement