Northumbria Police

Northumbria Police Employee Reviews

Worked here for over 30 years in many roles from front line policing, criminal investigation department, major incident teams, safeguarding, management of dangerous and offenders,, running burglary and pro active teams and finally working on the intelligence unit prior to retirement
Cares for staff and their development. Caters for all cultures and disabilities. Promotes staff wellbeing and work-life balance. Offers good salary and pension.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Long shifts
Very back stabbing, and if your face fits then fine. Seems the more work you do the less respect you get. Sit back and do nothing and you will go up the career ladder
Changes have been made over the years. Practices have improved. Opportunities for advancement if you want it. It is important to work hard, and work well as a team member .
Pros
Usually good working cobditions
Cons
Served full service enjoyed time as investigator. Force has numerous opportunities in various departments. Job satisfaction and the thought you are well valued
Pros
Team work
Cons
Policing represents a good career opportunity. There is opportunity for advancement and to carry out a number of specialist roles. Every day is different and the challenges can be significant.
I loved the job, and joined intending this to be career for life. Sadly my superiors had other ideas and made it impossible for me to have any kind of progression or even be considered for specialist training that would help me in my job. As a woman I was considered to be "up myself" because I was confident and willing to express my opinions, whereas men with similar traits were looked upon as leaders and really pushed to move on. This was several years ago now, and I really hope things have changed, but after 6 years of beating my head against that particular brick wall it was time to move onto something where my skills were appreciated.
Pros
Exciting, varied job
Cons
Toxic work culture for women
I have enjoyed working for Northumbria Police as I love working for a company that invests in their local community, the team I work with are highly professional and take pride in what they do. They have fantastic flexible working options and are extremely diverse.
Taught me a lot over the 30 years I was there. Gained a great insight into dealing with all members of Society and having a balanced approach to life.
A lot of challenges which change on a daily basis with new methods and procedures . Some management have a lack of leadership skills and are incapable of adequately fulfilling their role.
Good people trying to do good things in difficult circumstances. Too many cooks ad a total lack of strategy make this a difficult place to work. Their is a tendency to react, rather than plan.
There is always something different to do every day and there are ample opportunities should you wish to seek them for either or bothpromotion and specialisation.
Self motivation essential, varied work with an abundance of challenges. Good team work and inter personal skills are essential together with a good work ethic.
Like any job you get out of Northumbria Police exactly what you put in. Hard work and a good attitude is quickly recognised and rewarded. Fantastically rewarding!
Pros
Job Satisfaction
Cons
Attitudes towards police, long hours, not always appreciated by the public.
Employed within the force for 19 months. covering all aspects of conflict management and communication. Self Defence, custody, fitness, communication.
A hard job and management are difficult but the pay is good. The staff at low level are good and there is good motivation. In general a ok organisation to work for.
Forget birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries etc family life in general as you will be too tired to do anything when you are days off - shifts! You WILL be working derby matches, holidays, demonstrations. Bosses can cancel your rest days (15 days notice prevents overtime being paid). Even Xmas & new year have been classed as "in the exigency of the service", despite occuring yearly! You will work with some class people who will have your back and unfortunately some career ladder climbers who will throw you under the bus to get ahead.
I have worked for Northumbria Police since 2004 and they are fantastic, however, since having two children I am seeking part time work to increase my work life balance and I can not be offered this in my current role!
I was priviliged to work for Northumbria for 15 years. I didnt climb the career ladder but enjoyed various civilian roles from 999 contact centre to admin role, property officer and finally covering the front office of various police stations across Northumbria taking my redundancy in 2017. Lots of opportunity to side step. Disliked some of the old fashioned civilian management.
Work experience here offered a valuable insight into the interesting and engaging behind the scenes work within a police station and provided valuable skills upon completion.
Supervising staff on a daily basis, monitoring progress for home office statistics. Something new every day with the number of offences reported. Ran a tight ship but very good performance wise. Time limits given for certain roles. Working as a team giving satisfaction to victims with convictions at court.
Pros
Feeling worthy and part of a team
Cons
Meeting tight deadlines
  1. Employee reviews