Northumbrian Water/Essex & Suffolk Water

Northumbrian Water/Essex & Suffolk Water Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews

Stressful place to work

Very stressful place to wortk with little appreciation for the hardwork. Not what it used to be when first started at company. A lot of unnecessary restructuring throughout the company.

benefits

Cons

very stressful

29 November 2021
Many thanks for leaving a review of how you have felt when working at Northumbrian Water, as your honesty is what we like to hear. We certainly don't want it to be stressful for any of our teams, so I hope you are ok.We appreciate there has been a lot of change over recent years and that the business is continuing to evolve, to ensure we continue to provide our essential services to our customers.Michael MooreResourcing Manager Northumbrian Water

Productive & challenging

A very work force driven company, with good work life balance. Provides the opportunity to develop new skills in the water treatment industry via nationally recognized courses ie: NVQ

Stressful environment

Management here are not the most “think outside the box” type and tend to favour some staff over others, despite others being better qualified at the daily workload and more professional, the fact that company is constantly advertising for staff (numerous times per year) really should tell you everything you need to know, constant turnover of staff is never a good thing g for any company, I worked there in 2018 and was glad to leave if I’m perfectly honest, not a healthy environment

Cons

Parking issues if your unable to use public transport

good holidays and overtime / promotion oppurtunitys

Nortumbrian water is a good company to work for if you are flexible and obey their rules .There are ample chances for promotion and personal development

Pros

many job benefits

Cons

standby required

Not a particularly friendly place

Fortunately I wasn't there for very long.The training experience was one of the most icy I've ever experienced, with a trainer who we'll refer to as 'K' that seemed to take a rather cold approach, to me at least. I was being trained for the collections department to handle calls from debtors. They don't believe in offering printed handouts or company guides as "the system changes too often". For the amount of work and customer service skill they expect, they really should be offering a higher wage. Would not recommend.

Pros

Nice facilities

Cons

Poor training, Saturday shifts, wages too low

Changing rapidly

I was initially attracted to this company following great reviews and the fact that a lot of employees have worked for the company for 20/30/40 years which is also always a good sign. It was a company where you could join straight after leaving school and have a secure job right up until retirement. Salaries are really competitive as they seem to pay way above the national average. The company is now changing, and not for the better as there is restructure after restructure after restructure throughout the business, with employees of 40 years plus losing their jobs in a heartbeat. More managers are being brought in making the company top heavy (a case of too many chiefs and not enough Indians). There is no development for lower level employees but the company will invest heavily in developing and coaching senior managers. Personally, I didn't have a great manager which meant a lack of support on some issues but that isn't the same for everyone. I still think it has a lot of great benefits as well as good pay but I wouldn't expect to have a job for life here.

Pros

Well paid

Cons

No job security, lack of development for low level employees

Stressful, face paced, not much understanding

Worked here years and years, excellent company to start off, changed alot over the years, negatively unfortunately. Always said we're different to other call centres....turned into a typical one. Lots of opportunity to move up the career ladder if desired and the people on the whole, great. Management not so great, but you win some you lose some.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Long hours, non empathetic management.

Learnt alot and met some great people

Was definitely one of the best jobs I've had the pleasure of being a part of. Seen alot of Northumberland i had never seen before with being based in the rural areas of Northumberland.

Pros

worked in rural areas and got to see alot of Northumberland i have never seen before.

Cons

Standby/callouts

A great place

I loved working for Northumbrian Water, It was a shame the contract had to end. I would love the opportunity to work there anytime in the future, and with my vast experience of the utility companies, i feel I would be an asset.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

some awkward customers, but I always managed them professionally.

29 September 2020
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review of your time here at Northumbrian Water.We wish you well in your future career and maybe one day we will see you back with us

contract was good

although it was a short contract my experience of this company was brilliant, and would definitely consider a permanent role with them. its pity the Essex & Suffolk workforce is being reduced.

Pros

all good

Cons

short term contract

Great company to work for

Cannot really fault Northumbrian Water from my experience of working with them. My contract was initially for just 3 months and during that time COVID-19 struck and so the company understandably needed to adjust its budgeting, and those new starters with me did not have their contracts extended. The atmosphere and camaraderie there is one of the best I have had the pleasure of working with. There is only one thing I would change and that is to stop using Average Call Handling Time as a metric for measuring customer service and for informing decisions about which staff contracts to not extend.

29 September 2020
Thanks so much for your amazing review of your time here at Northumbrian Water. Covid has certainly been a challenging time and I am pleased to hear we still made it a great place to work.I've noted your feedback on AHT on will pass this on to our Customer Service Managers too

Good place to work with friendly staff

Good place to work with friendly staff enjoyable interesting work able to influence and make a difference. Great team work and good hours and work life balance

Pros

Flexibility and creativity

Cons

No perm job was available at the end of my contract

4 August 2020
Thanks so much for leaving feedback on your time with us here at Northumbrian Water. We really appreciate the time spent on this and its great to hear you enjoyed your time with us. All the best for your future career. Michael

No skills needed, just too robotic for me.

One of the worst jobs I have ever had. By the time I left I had no morale left whatsoever. Calls are monitored (picked apart) by supervisors, no support whatsoever, even when you ask for help. EVERYTHING is time monitored, your calls, typing your notes, even going to the toilet! And you will always be told to go faster.

Pros

Cons

Soul destroying

29 June 2020
Many thanks for leaving such an honest and open review of your time working here at Northumbrian Water.I am sorry to hear how you have felt when working here and I would be interested in learning more about this, so we can ensure we can make improvements to the areas you have raised your points on. My email address is michael.moore@nwl.co.uk (Resourcing Manager at NWL)

Work

Great company exelent facility's great work force (team) all staff were very friendly to help out if you were stuck doing somthing would deffenetly work there again if I had the chance in a heart beat I would

Good times but hard work

Work super long hours, travel far and wide for jobs Expect to be wet for most the day Work with a team and heavy duty equipment including diggers and loaders

Pros

Good money

Cons

Management is excellent, but very nepotistic

The management are some of the best I have worked with. They listen and value your ideas. But due to the nepotism it is hard to work with a lot of people.

Pros

Clean Building, management is some of the best around.

Cons

Colleagues

Terrible

I've worked here for a long time and it used to be a good place to work. Now not so much. Obsessed with numbers rather than true efficiency. . Some departments are good and have a professional approach however others such as Operational departments are rife with bullying from the top down. They definitely work to the mantra of he who shoots loudest gets! They rule by fear rather than engagement. I've witnessed and experienced sexism, discrimination and bullying the likes I didn't even see in school. Unfortunately the business choses not to act despite grievances and complaints and instead engages in cover up activity. They pomote themselves as an ethical business with just an hour and disability confident while letting anyone with a disability go through fumbled restructures. Progression exists only if your face fits and your manager likes you. Operational managers still the good old boys club and I've witnessed them, their team leaders and front like workers taunt and bully the rare female who dares to work in that department until they leave. Its sad to see what the business has become over recent years. Its lost that family vibe and losing the good will of the workers who once upon a time would have gone the extra mile in the past when treated better.

Benefits

Cons

Poor infrastructure, won't invest in assets but spends £100k on onsultants to decimate team to get the tick in the box, long gone before the outfall of such cuts, no loyalty

24 February 2020
Many thanks for leaving such an honest and open review of your time working here at Northumbrian Water. I am sorry to hear how you have felt when working here and I would be interested in learning more about this, so we can ensure we can make improvements to the areas you have raised your points on. My email address is michael.moore@nwl.co.uk (Resourcing Manager at NWL)

great place to work

A typical day would start with a team stand up where team members were located in different parts of the World, after this there would be a catch up with local team lead and run tests or re test defects depending on the situation. I never felt stressed and the culture was laid back but very busy. Enjoyed testing mobile devices and mobile apps and a good feeling at the end of the project when the revamped website went live.

24 February 2020
Many thanks for leaving your review of your time working here at Northumbrian Water. It's always great to get feedback on the things we are doing well, but know from other reviews that we don't always get it right too. I wish you all the best in your future career too.

Great Place To Work

A great place to work, people there are really polite from senior management all the way down to the site operators. Work life balance is perfect and the shift patterns work a treat. Highly recommended.

3 February 2020
Thanks so much for leaving a review on what it's like to work at Northumbrian Water. We really appreciate your feedback and letting others know what we also think is a great place to work too.All the best with your future career.

Workplace

The workplace at Essex and Suffolk is a real clean and professional environment. All staff are polite and welcoming, the main site is very well maintained.

Brilliant

Excellent place to work for. Good pay, decent hours, decent management, really caring staff and policies. Call volumes are decent, some busy periods, some quiet periods.

25 November 2019
Thanks for the taking the time to provide a review on working here at Northumbrian Water.We think it is a great place to work too, along with your colleagues, who made us 19th Best Large Company to work for in the Sunday Times survey recently.We hope you continue to enjoy working with us and have a long career with us too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northumbrian Water/Essex & Suffolk Water. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Northumbrian Water/Essex & Suffolk Water