Norwich City Council

Norwich City Council Employee Reviews

Forward looking and thinking local authority

The council offers a good working environment and there is some opportunity for advancement and movement within departments to enable career and personal development.

Shame on you Norwich city council

The council have good people there but there are also managers who treat people horribly and senior managers who don't want to see it. I choose to not speak up as that makes it worse.

Pros

Nice big desk

Cons

No options to get bullying stopped. Disgusting favoritism for some.

Was ok to start with

Enjoyed my job though stressful. Management for my role were 2 faced and back stabbing. Too quick to put you down. If I didn't have the manager I had, I'd have still been there.

None n/a Pleasent place to work Monday to friday job, Some overtime week day evernings, Co. Workers ok they done there share without any fuss. Got the present job done.

Pros

Cons

Sensible

Good benefits

I am not looking for career development (been there and done that) so I cannot comment on this aspect. There are lots of opportunities to work part time at NCC. I really enjoy my job and work within a good team. I have elderly parents so the 12 days special leave per year is a valuable benefit to me. You can also take unpaid career breaks to protect your job if you need more time off. Overall a good employer.

Pros

Flex leave

Cons

None for me

Lack of Diversity awareness

Only stayed a week. People are made fun of and abused due to physical appearance. Those who are disabled or fat/thin have long hair or are bald. Abuse from a small number of staff members. Abuse is laughed at rather then diversity awareness training offered. This happens in most departments but I only have evidence relating to two departments. They defend it by saying it's banter. Well "I predict a diet" every time a over weight person walks by certain desks is abuse not banter.

Pros

Cons

Lack of diversity, rude, ignorant and abusive team members.

Good

Department always busy Colleagues are always very helpful Plenty to learn Easy to learn bespoke computer systems Flexibility with working hours Christmas Holidays

Pros

Good place to work for

Cons

Temporary Contract

Fun workplace

I have had great experiences as part of the events team, getting to work as part of a large team all working to ensure the citizens of norwich and beyond have a great day out! Despite the chaos the nature of events work could bring, my positions have always been well managed and very adaptable to the demands of the event. The salary is also extremely good for an ad hoc commitment.

Good to work for

Monthly pay doing what you want but self employed so pay your own tax etc. Can do anyhting you want I.E trade job or driver. Can be pain to get paid first time

Pros

Pay

Cons

Customer service

Depressing!!!

I found City Hall in Norwich a very depressing building to work in and everyone in my team, whilst lovely, was extremely over the top PC. The money was not great. However, if you were a permanent member of staff, they do offer great flexibility - as long as you do your 37 hours a week, they don't mind how you do them - eg you can go in at 0730 and leave at 4. If you work over your hours you get "flex" days, up to 2 a month that you can take using those hours.

Pros

Good flexibility with working hours

Cons

Depressing building

good job but too much red tape

great place to work with many perks but bureaucracy and red tape make things difficult to get done. flexible working from home, on the go and flex time are a great benefit. the trust placed in you is good. some management are very set in their ways and unwilling to change the people that work there are great and many friendships formed

Pros

flex time, holiday allowance, the people who work there

Cons

behind the times with technology and processes

Great company to work for

A great company to work for with very friendly people throughout. Really enjoyed my time working within the council and would recommend it to anyone apply for a job.

Good employer

Plenty of opportunity for self development. Good workplace culture. Reasonable rates of pay. Flexi time. Managing customer expectations. Good staff room. Easily accessible.

Great employer

The best thing is the work/life balance afforded to employees by the flexible working scheme. Management trust their staff and that helps to boost morale and encourages staff to give back. A great place to work.

Pros

Endless

good job nice people

Norwich City Council is the city council for the city of Norwich in Norfolk, England. It consists of 39 councillors, elected to represent 13 wards, each with three councillors. It is currently under Labour control and led by Brenda Arthur.[1] It forms the lower tier of local government in Norwich, responsible for local services such as housing, planning, leisure and tourism

Nice place to be

Working to support someone with medical conditions through personalised budget. Enjoyed my work, though challenging. Would recommend strongly to anyone who wants to work at NCC.

Pros

Fun and nice

Cons

Behaviour challenges

Interesting and varied

I managed 45 bungalows with 66 tenants, I checked the welfare of them daily and dealt with any issues as they came up. Dealing with such things as repairs, void properties or medical appointments. Liaising with families or district nurse/carers. Organizing events and outings was very enjoyable, making sure all housing forms and care and risk assessements were up to date. Health and safety and fire assesements needed doing every month, enjoyable work.

Pros

Challenging and rewarding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norwich City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement