Notcutts Garden Centre logo
Notcutts Garden Centre

Notcutts Garden Centre Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Productive and fun work place

Definitely suggest working here, I was a cashier and I loved it, the odd customer here and there but the staff where all super friendly and they became not just friends but family also. The management I feel was brilliant always keeping us on track and letting us know how we were doing and always friendly and approachable.

The perfect company, let down by zero hour contracts

I loved working at Notcutts, both times, and honestly would never have left.The staff were more family than just people I worked with, the work was always different and challenging in a good way and the management were approachable and understanding but fair.Unfortunately due to the companies use of Zero Hour Contracts and lack of advancement, it was a difficult choice to leave for something higher paying and a salary.

Pros

Variety in work, make a family, the perfect company

Cons

Zero Hour Contracts, Lack of Advancement

Staff hard working. Not company to work for

Poor company to work for money before staff. Poor management regional and centre level very little training. Managers change yearly.nall about making money not about plants only gifts and restaurant

Pros

Discount

Cons

Long hours, not apriciayed only number

Open and honest communication

Shop floor colleagues were friendly and good to work with. However senior management wasn’t the best to work with and multiple staff members left due to that. The general manager was great to work for as he was more empathetic and easier to deal with.

Dont stay long....

I worked for Nottcuts what I thought would be a dream job, as a keen gardener what's not to like? You'd be wrong though. Initially things go well working for Notcutts, however after the first few weeks its obvious all is not well or as it seems in the garden of employment you have found yourself in....... Firstly just let me say I made some good friends working there, but, as in so many workplaces we can sometimes find ourselves in, there is a dark side to the business.You will be very overworked to the point of exhaustion and given no support at all - even if you ask for it and genuinely need it. Your line manager will be indifferent to you and simply ignore any concerns. Inter-department rivalry permeates the whole place, senior older employees have there on little kingdom's and will openly bully, intimidate and belittle you with delight or indeed threats. Pay was often incorrect and took weeks to rectify. My "contract" on checking had errors, post code wrong, name of street spelt incorrectly, surname also ( I had checked beforehand the form I completed and kept a copy) Sickness was rife among many staff -I imagine to go to interviews just to get out of there , the high staff turnover supported that, particularly in the restaurant, which to me at least, resembled a forced labour camp, lunch breaks regularly " cancelled" verbal abuse and threats to staff, seriously I kid you not. The final straw for me in the end was being told to work into the late evening to get the work done or " the area manager would be on my back" (my line managers words) its worth mentioning -

Pros

Some nice people. You get paid (mostly) Free uniform

Cons

Some not very nice people. Poor managent. Very long hours

Lovely to start with.

Everyone is lovely to start with but after a few months most of the staff become very toxic, nothing is done about it and staff members are allowed to walk around bullying others. They make you feel like you're not doing your job if you plan a holiday or need sick leave. Very poorly managed and run.

Pros

Staff discount, set shifts

Cons

Horrible staff, 6 day weeks

Great work place.

This company is great to work for. Everybody is so friendly, the managers actually care about you as a person and the pay is pretty good. You can make plenty of friends, there's always something to keep you busy, and everyday brings something new. I miss my job here.

Pros

Variety of work. Pay is good. Flexibility.

Cons

I don't think there are any.

I only did volunteer work by helping out a Christmas and using their tools to help clean and build elderly garden but my experience was was good

As previously said, I only work as a volunteer. It has a friendly environment and is helpful in supplying tools for helping my grandparents clean and build gardens.

Underpaying

They treated staff with favouritism and stuck me and the same colleague with the worst jobs for only £5.90 an hour it’s ridiculous and unorganised. The manager was extremely rude as well and didn’t have any people skills.

Cons

Bad pay, unorgansied

Poor leadership from the top

A poor culture created by terrible leadership from the top. Vast head office prioritised over the front line staff in stores.us and them culture. As lkng as the top boss gets his bonus then everything is OK

Pros

You have the right to leave

Cons

Poor leadership who don't understand garden centres

Jobs at Notcutts Garden Centre

See more jobs

Relaxed, slow paced, stepping stone

Overall not a bad place to start out and comfortable if you don't have any life aspirations, as in, no room to progress further within your chosen field. People are friendly and very laid back, doesn't seem to ever have a rush of work unless said person didn't do their work, in which case would mislead you to believe they have a lot of work to do in the first place. overall 2/10 but a good stepping stone to your next employer if you don't already have work.

Cons

Pay

Good

My time at Nocutts Garden Centre Limited was really good. Fast paced environment and consistency challenging, such is a job within the customer service industry

Fun and enjoyable place to work

A warm and inviting place to work with a good atmosphere. Although the perks the pace and stress of the work can also prove to be too much. Overall, i would recommend this as a place of work.

Fun workplace

High variation in business from day to day so every shift is different, Learned customer service and restocking. Management was involved but sometimes ignorant towards issues.

Horrible company to work for.

If it weren’t for such lovely general assistants and head office staff I would have left sooner! If you have any health issue, please do not apply because Garden centre management do not believe you have issues even though you supply them with evidence from the doctor/hospital - and then discipline you for having time off because of it. Felt like I was pushed out because of this. The job itself is difficult to pick up but once you get your head around the tills and policies and procedures you’ll get used to it

A fun place to work.

Selling in the Christmas section. Selling in the Furniture section. Putting out stock. Working in teams with other staff. A happy environment where staff work well together.

Good start for teens

Notcutts was very relaxed and slightly fast-passed when it got busy. Its a good start for any teens looking for a Saturday job or just some extra money on the side. Friendly workplace.

Pros

30% discount

Cons

Hard to progress anywhere

Worst place to work

I've only been here a month and a half and I'm already looking to get out, this job is stressful, exhausting and depressing, management couldn't care less about you, customers are rude, entitled and arrogant. They have such a terrible turn over of staff rate that they will pay you extra just to get you to stay! I am 19 and paid more than my 23 year old colleague! Rubbish management especially in the cafe and restaurant!

Good first job

Management is a bit skeptical; furthermore i made new friends, people would pick on you, hour break during an 8.5 hour shift. Most boring is being on the tills

Awful

Worst place I’ve ever worked, management are terrible, wage is not worth what you are subject to. Very unorganised HR do not listen to needs of staff No care for employees money motivated

Used to be lovely

Terrible place to work, no appreciation , management are not active and dont listen to the needs of their staff, staff moral very very low, work you like a dog and because of low staffing accidents happen unfortunately management dont care and no support, their favourite saying "deal with it' or another one 'suck it up" just the support you need!!!!

Pros

No pros at all

Cons

Terrible working conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Notcutts Garden Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement