Nottingham Trent University
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

Nottingham Trent University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom174 reviews

Friendly place to work.

Help is always around if needed. Supportive management. Pay is minimum wage now, but you get more than basic holidays. The other staff are always friendly and there isn't a high turn over of staff.

Fun and collaborative place to work

You always meet a lot of interesting people who are all experts in their own field, definitely a workplace conducive to learning (not just for students).

Insights into Nottingham Trent University

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks

Toxic management, low pay, low staff morale, nowhere to progress.

Please read before you apply, trust me.Toxic management, low pay, low staff morale, nowhere to progress.Easily one of the worse work environments I've had to experience. Management don't listen to their staff and anything serious brought up with them seems to be laughed at and brushed under the carpet. DT management seem to live in a fantasy world and seem believe everything is fine... That may be true in their ivory tower, but down on the ground, staff turn around is incredibly poor (10-15 people had come and gone in the last year in this team).You will be expected to work way out of your job description compared to other roles on this pay grade and expected to gain qualifications in specialist areas with no benefit to you (low pay, stuck in a low pay grade).There is nowhere to progress, no senior/ management roles for techs to progress up into. Management do not leave, so if you want to progress, you will have to move into a different area of the company.Bonus: You also have to pay for parking 🙌

Pros

The weekend is only 5 days away

Cons

Bad management, low pay, no progression, low morale, high staff turnaround

Nice work environment, friendly staff and line manager and there was plenty of opportunity to work with other departments/colleagues across the University.

Pros

Nice environment, Flexible working hours, Opportunities to work with other departments across the University, Working at different events

Cons

Could sometimes take a while to get projects signed off/approved by senior management

Excellent organisation

Great place to work. Good level of support. Well led and managed. Colleagues are great and will help you with anything if you ask. Good communication with a strong sense of moral purpose.

Awesome place

The work at NTU is an amazing way to start your Student Experience. It offers connection to new people and allows you to collaborate in teams. I recommend NTU!

Pros

Free Refreshment

Top-down culture with no democracy

There is some collegial atmosphere among colleagues, but overall, due to lack of supportive management, there is a culture of fear, job insecurity and constantly shifting goalposts, which generates chronic stress. Workload allocation is not equal, not transparent, and has been increasing to intolerable levels. When staff leave, they are not replaced. Staff do not feel valued or respected. NTU, like universities across the UK, is now governed by a marketised culture that prioritises income and targets and devalues staff and learning.

Pros

There is a fair amount of diversity among staff

Cons

This job will harm your health

Great as a student, less so an an employee at times

I was a student here who had a fantastic time. So when a job came up I felt I wanted to come back etc. My line manager however does hold back my skills I feel so far. Won’t necessarily allow me to help the students even though it’s why I came back. My salary is a bit below where I feel my skills should allow me to be. Part time students are allowed to help undergraduates whereas despite my experience and skills I feel I am not allowed to. The work balance is ok. But I have to do evening classes sometimes which wasn’t quite what I signed to but it’s all in a good cause generally. Although not as satisfactory.Students have been great despite Covid etc so far as of September 2021.

Pros

I know almost everyone who works there, familiar place, good staff generally, students are nice

Cons

Evening classes, skills may not be used, salary maybe below where it should be

Good pay and nice staff

Main issue is career longevity. Also sometimes it can be confusing to complete tasks required because there is limited guidence. Overall a pleasant but short experience.

Great place to work, I would recommend them as a very good employer. Staff are important but they could employ a more diverse set of employees. EDI needs to be addressed in the workforce.

No training given at all

Was given about 10secs training on the till on my first day then just left to do the lunchtime rush in a cafe. Didn't even apply for a cafe job! I manged okay and was proud of myself but found it so stressful it didn't feel worth the min wage pay packet but I stayed on a while.Sadly that theme continued in my time there, it was a running joke amoung employees how insane the expectations of managers were and how little they trained staff or respected our work and time.They were approachable managers and hard working however.

Pros

Safe work environment

Cons

Poor training

A very rewarding job

As a receptionist I had contact with a range of people at the university including students and staff, all of whom were extremely pleasant and friendly. No day was the same and hard work is definitely recognised and celebrated.

Best place I've ever worked for

Fantastic team to work with. Every day was different. Exciting opportunities for placement students. Would love to work for NTU again, if I ever decide to move to Notts.

not enjoyable place too much stress

Not a good place to work as the pay does not cover the stress and every month they expect more I was on just over minimum wage with huge responsibilities and top management who havent got a clue

Cons

They are good and professional

A very welcoming place to work. The management is supportive and treats us with respect. Always open to help with any problem. The supervisors are very kind respects our opinions

Buen ambiente de trabajo

Aprendí a atender a los asistentes a eventos organizados por la universidad, ya fuese ofreciéndoles comida/bebida, guiándoles por el cámpus o ayudándoles a aparcar.

Pros

flexibilidad horaria

Organised and looks after staff

I have thoroughly enjoyed working for NTU during my undergraduate agree. The wage is very fair and shifts are always very organised, even if it is busy.

A platform to start off to progress on to somewhere else

Limited growth opportunities - it's a good place to start a career but for real growth over 3-5 years not ideal for overachievers looking to grow professionally and develop at a personal level

Fun place to work

Really enjoyed working at Nottingham Trent and would have loved to stay longer. Lovely people and a really nice atmosphere to work in! Gave me so many amazing opportunities

Productive and informative

University is one of those palces where learning is actually fun. you will be constantly challenged in a field that you are actively interested in. I would highly encourage anyone to come to NTU

Amazing work environment

NTU has a fantastic working environment and good management teams to work with.Selection process was fair and salary is comparative as well.Definitely recommend to others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nottingham Trent University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Nottingham Trent University with

Nottingham Trent University Reviews by Location

• Nottingham Trent University
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?