Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom55 reviews

Insights into Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things

Not sure if the issues are with NUH or nursing in general

Never had any issues, have worked with NUH for 6 years in various roles. Unsafe staffing at time and expected to work in unfamiliar specialties at no notice.

Fast paced just like every other job

I will recommend as it is a lovely place to workThe staff are nice and supportive. Trainings are provided.Although fast paced, the job is fulfilling

Pros

Flexible roaster.

Cons

Nil

Fast paced exciting and rewarding work

Very good hospital to work for-staff very supportive and put patient care first. Can be stressful worked in different departments due to covid. Senior management not as supportive.

Pros

Rewarding job

Cons

Stressful and fast paced

Loved the cleaning aspect but due to mental health I didn’t like lone working

The cleaning crew were great to start with but if I had any problems they didn’t seem to handle it at all!Didn’t want to leave the job but I felt I had no option due to pressure of lone working for too much for me.The cleaning and touchpoint cleaning was easy and enjoyable just wish I had more support

Pros

Good breaks

Cons

Extremely large place

If this is the red flag you’re looking for, take it! *does not apply for all departments, some are incredible*

I gave this place every chance to be fair, supportive, and allow work-life balance but it failed on all accounts. Managers will not give you the time of day, and will supply shifts that are almost impossible to do such as 6 early shifts with singular days off and then expect you to do 5 nights. If you have kids or specific needs, you will most likely have those used against you for worse shifts so don’t try to ask for different shifts as it will be countered or ignored. Managers can be heard shouting and arguing, and I was specifically targeted by one for a small error which also resulted in berating comments about my character, and resulted in a huge panic attack. Coordinators are (mostly, bar a couple) on a power trip and will try to control your exact movements and can start to get aggressive with how they argue when you were simply trying to help another colleague with a task. If you have any form of disability or need adjustments, please don’t work here as they will not accommodate you. This does not just go for me, almost the entire department feels the same and the turnover rate is horrific. The colleagues are the best part, they really are lovely and try their best with an uncooperative management team. The technicians truly need more appreciation for what they do! Other departments in the hospital are absolutely wonderful, but please do avoid this one.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Management, hours, no work-life balance

Its a good place to work

Over the past twenty years it has given me a very secure job role within the NHS good rates of pay enhancements for weekends unsociable hours pay great pension and reduced travel to work scheme .

Pros

10 %off hotfood

Cons

Cant really progress within your job role

A home from Home

This place has a variety of work and plenty of opportunities. The hospital will give your experience that you wouldn't imagine anywhere else Training is available and much more readily accessible for most staff

Pros

team work

Cons

management difficult

Just awful, constantly cutting costs despite bloated management structure & obvious waste wherever you look

See Summary: The pay was much lower than expected. There is a pervasive culture of doing the bare minimum to get by with more thought given to staff than patients, which (in theory) goes against the establishing ethos of the NHS. Saw numerous examples of nepotism in management, despite the competency of the particular person in that position. Could go into more detail but it might be libelous.

Supportive environment

Supportive and collaborative team within a busy hospital environment. No two days are the same. It is a great place to work to develop new skills and knowledge as they offer excellent training and development support.

Busy, political and challenging

Busy day interactive with NHS staff, members & patients. No clear direction, competative enviroment. Hard-working NHS staff, all supporting the community to achieve the best of care.

Amazing

Very good place to work.People very friendly .If I can then back there

Busy office with a large team

A typical day would include first line support for IT system issues. General admin duties; triaging calls to my team, dealing with confidential patient records solving various issues reported by hospital staff

Cons

Distance travelling from home

Positive

With the right funding the hospital could thrive, the work place culture can be a little down and disheartening due to the lack of support from the government. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference to patients.

Tough workplace in light of national NHS changes

Tough place to work in light of government legislation, but the camaraderie within the team is excellent, providing the best and most thoughtful care for patients.

Pros

Team support

Food Service Assistant

If you decide to be a food service assistant, just give you heads up, your working week is a 6 day week. You work a 7 week rota, so you work 4 weekends on, get a Friday / Saturday off then a Saturday/ Sunday off then Sunday/ Monday off. So only 1 weekend off in 7. The jobs not difficult depends what ward you are because some are really busy. Most people are friendly .

Pros

Pay

Cons

To many weekends, needs looking at because it’s not working if you have a high turnover of staff

very informative

Consisted of two training days within the medical field, first aid course, diagnosis training. Food was provided at the uni and extra work experience opportunities were available.

Teamwork

A typical day at work Start work at 7 in the morning or evening go to roll call get allocated where you work normally 99% of the time in the initial assesment unit you get 2 cubicles patients come in i do observations ECGS blood tests then nurses make a triage and decide where to go. What have I learnt I have learnt many skills and a lot of knowledge around acutely unwell patients and how to treat them. And see a improvement in the outcomes. Management I feel they do not consolidate front line staff when changes are going to happen to cope with demand there is no support and it doesnt help that the clinical support division has been messed around for years with no proper management to go to. Our concerns and complaints don't get taken seriously and when you have no backing from senior management then you just give up. Workplace culture Morale is very low i believe Hardest part of the job Can not cope with demand and feel like your not giving your best care and attention because everything is based on money targets time and numbers all before patient care. Patient flow no smooth journey through out the department to other hospital departments Most enjoyable part When you can give something back help someone that in pain see them a couple of hours later and with the right medication and pain relief there up and walking you know you've played a bit of success in that situation poorly elderly people that look like there on deaths door but actually you get a intravenous drip in commence antibiotics and they are slowly improving but just listening -

Pros

Cons

long hours, no rota consistancy

Professional Workplace

Employed through NHS Professional on zero hour contract with good pay rate. Medical environment broaden my network of professional connections. Overall, good working environment

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

no window in my office

Positive

Very tough environment, as any NHS facility is, but the staff here are excellent, supportive and actually care. The entire ethos is starting to evolve into one of discovery and best methods for patient care.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Red tape

not enjoying it...

I am not enjoying my time with NUH as much as i was expecting it to be. There is no / very little job progression and applications received are in large numbers, very little internal transfers or secondment opportunities. I also had a large wage drop. Unable to use skills and was made to re train in skills that i have had for long time frames i.e. ECG'S and Cannulation Skills. Not very supportive staff and management in my ward.

Pros

Lots of Patient Care Work

Cons

lots.

Busy and rewarding

If you like to stay busy and enjoy working in a customer facing role then NUH is a great place to work. There is an emphasis on personal development and in a good department you will thrive.

Pros

Very good personal and educational development opportunities

Cons

Pressure on the NHS mean that the workplace can be stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement