O2

United Kingdom294 reviews

Loved it

Featured review

O2 selected this as a representative review
I loved working for O2 but had been there for 10 years and needed a change. The teams and company were fantastic to work for. I was there between 2001 and 2011 and worked in many different locations in Scotland and the North East of England and made many friends and promoted from sales advisor up to Senior Branch Manager.

Pros

Fast paced, exciting and fun place to work

Cons

Targets and budgets were being tightened

15 October 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your time with us. It is great to see you highlighted the teams you worked with as we believe it is our people that make o2 such a great place to work.In terms of your cons, we do work in a competitive environment where at times we do need to look at our targets and budgets but we hope that you reached out to support when you were with us if this was having an effect on you and your day job. We can see you no longer work for us so hope your career is going well.

Underpaid

Like any job in retail it all comes down to who your manager is, your manager can make work life easy or difficult, I had some great managers and not so great managers. It is impossible to hut bonus and when you don't hit it, they will ask why and then try and performance manage you out of the business, then complain about staff turnover.

Insights into O2

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Good student job

Really enjoyed my part time role at o2. Paid better than other part time student jobs with opportunity to earn a bonus. If you hit your targets things were good but if not you would be micromanaged and pushed out.

Pros

Bonus, sometimes free food

Cons

Can be quiet when store empty

Pretty good!

I had a fantastic manager to start with! Then I moved stores and the manager was rubbish and working for o2 started to go downhill from there. A typical day is selling to customers or helping customers with problems they are having on their phone or account.

Pros

Discounted phone

Cons

If you have a bad manager, it wont be good. they wont be flexible at all

Not the worst

Main thing holding back the company in those roles was the abysmal pay. Not enough to get by. Job depending on the team you had. Some teams tough to deal with and some made it enjoyable to come in to work.

good fun company

terrible management but great company. focused upsell required but with no rewards other than it is your job. high pressure environment if you can avoid your manager

Pros

good pay. good colleagues

Cons

terrible managment

Stressful

High level of management have their favourite people, not interested in your opinions/suggestions, they do a lot of micro management and dont give you the chance to implement your own initiative to tasks/projects. Good benefits and great working environment

Okay

It used to be a fab company, lots of changes coming and going. you serve customers, stores have become less busy since Covid as everyone shops online. I had both sales and management roles. I went into management as there was lack of management support. Turns out they cant even support the management either. The company was and still is falling apart. Shocking at lack of care/compassion for the struggle and wellbeing of staff in stores. Customers are lovely which makes the day easier if you enjoy talking with customers. They're a supportive and diverse company too which is nice.

Pros

Incentives Hours Bonuses/Staff benefits Inclusive and diverse Targets (not commission)

Cons

Lack of support Little to no management Barely areas to progress

Productive but short staffed and thats how they like it.

Typical day is busy and fast paced. Its all learn on the job training is pretty lax depending purely on how good your Store Leader is. Workplace culture is you must fit or you wont progress. Have to have work apps on your personal phone. Customers are great and that side of O2 is great but internally poor.

Left to your own judgement

Training is 4 weeks in which you do lots of courses like fraud, money laundering etc. The job is very stressful as most queries are not straightforward. The customers are not happy. There are too many forms to fill in and the managers are constantly on your back saying go faster.

Pros

Non

Cons

Long hours, short breaks, every min is counted

Stressful, no work-life balance, poor manipulative management

Horrible managers that demand too much. Will call you on your day off, there’s no work life balance. Always threatening to fire you over every little thing.

Poor management

Very toxic micromanagement and outdated management methods at o2 capita. Lack of consideration for employees and lack of opportunity to grow within the role

Well…

It’s low pay. For someone who doesn’t want too much from life, it’s perfect. Brain dead job. Young people are cannon meant for this job. Little to none growing environment.

Pros

Lol

Cons

Doors open in mid winter. Blatant case of health and safety. Nothing was ever done.

Great place to have fun

I found my time at o2 a lot of fun. I worked with people I had a great interest in and technology interested me. I found I progressed through my desire to want to do more and this helped me for sure.

Amazing place to work

O2 is a brilliant place to work. The removal of personal sales targets was a really good idea as it meant that I could take my time and help customers out as much as possible making sure they leave the store happy with all their questions answered. Only been there a month and an elderly customer had already gifted me a bottle of wine and a card as I sat them down and settled their confusion about their phone and tariff. It also meant that I could properly sell a customer a product/service they actually need or could benefit from.This is very important to me as I am person who loves helping people and get satisfaction from it, this wasn’t that easy as Vodafone as they charged for support and data transfers.

Pros

Pay, discounts, work colleagues and management

Cons

Lack of bonus structure as commission was removed too

Great place to work!

Love the store! Love the staff and being owned locally it helps with work life balance. I wouldn’t want to work anywhere else or I couldn’t think of anywhere else I would want to further my career than with FTZ LTD TA O2

Pros

Pay, commission, staff, management

slow, easy but sometimes stressful

days can go quite slow, all managers seem to be pretty useless behind the scenes whether its not being bothered to join and help out on the shop floor or just leaving certain tasks up to others and just sitting doing nothing

too demanding

Value your staff for their performance. High attrition rates and the majority of retail employees not enjoying their job, screams signs of deep issues within the company.

Good compnay to work for and great perks

O2 Telefonica themselves are a great company and I worked for them for many years and for most of it I enjoyed my time there. Theasr 5 years I started to struggle sue to the the staff becoming gossips and about other staff, and I felt pushed out of a job I had been in for almost 20 years

Pros

Commission paid in vouchers so non taxable

Cons

Nasty Gossip, ridiculous targets

21 July 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time with us. We are sorry to hear of the reasons why you decided to leave us as that is certainly not the experience that we would want our people to have. We do hope that you did reach out to your manager or MyHR during that time to get help and support. We hope your career is going well.

Love working here!!

Don’t get me wrong you need to have sales experience but what a place to work . When I first started I was given the right amount of training and given support throughout , the workload can sometimes be lot but I was working in one of the busiest stores . I enjoy my team and we all get on well with eachother and support eachother . The pay is fantastic and you can earn a lot of commission if you put in the hard work .The management are great and always there to help you

Pros

Commission, pay, team

Cons

Long hours, can be busy, stressful

21 July 2021
Thank you for leaving such a lovely review and we are happy that you love working here. Thank you for being part of TeamO2.

Avertec O2 is a Mickey Mouse company

Worked for Avertec, company cared about numbers and didn't really care about staff. HR team is a joke, they are there just for tick box exercise. pay decent if you need a job for the sake of having one.

Pros

£10.25 and staff plan

18 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As you worked for one of our franchise partners we will pass on your feedback to our franchise support manager. We hope your career is going well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at O2. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement