Ocado Group

United Kingdom1,489 reviews

Found 1,489 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,536 reviews
vancstmrouterotaunsociabledordonfinishcanteen

Bad

This place was bad, the crazy stories you hear about Amazon are the same with Ocado, I was essentially let go because I used the bathroom too much, regardless of the fact I was always way above quota.

Well worth considering

I've come back to Ocado after a gap in a higher paying job. It's good but my household budget is set up for a higher income so Ocado is a temporary income lifeline or stepping stone until I can get something paying more. I think the basic pay works out at c.£24,000Very helpful and friendly team managers always help drivers with problems

Insights into Ocado Group

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging

Dead place

Not that bad if u are a good picker and English.If not expect to have a very hard time with no progression opportunity no matter ur experience or knowledge

Ok

Ocado is a good job but the shifts pattern are no good they should let you pick if you want to do early or lates instead of a rota because one week you are working early the next week it's late and gives you no social life with change all the time. The evening shifts are long if you have kids because they want you to start work at 3/4 till 11/12 at night which is no good. In induction they say don't worry if you miss a drop etc but soon as you do you have like 5 different people ringing you and moaning

Pros

Job and knock

Cons

Evening shifts with central London run is long just traffic

Awful company

Of all the jobs I have had this is by far the worst one. Managers don’t even talk to you and the only time they do is when they give you a pointless warning. You are expected to deliver a stupid amount of deliveries in a short amount of time. The actual job itself would be great if the company actually supported drivers and show that they care about you. Drivers that have been there a long time have a lot of advantages and are treated completely different. Avoid this job cos your mental health will pay the price.

Pros

Free coffee machine

Cons

Management, pay, not enough time to do drops

Ok

Wouldn’t recommend long hours. Work load is to much most of the time expected to get all the jobs done so 9 times out of ten you finish. Late avoid if you want a life

Decent pay, decent hours

Good support team and managers. Great communication and friendly environment. I work the 7.5 hour/day contract allows for a great work/life balance, but warning the 10hr/day contract can be very stressful at times

Horrible place to work

Work life balance is terrible. Rude pretentious customers. Company expects you to lug heavy shopping up as many stairs as the customer has. Short time slots for the customer so you need to rush to keep from being late, but if you injure yourself, the company will make it your problem, not theirs.

Pros

The older uniform is quite comfy. Still have mine.

Cons

Everything.

Pay is ok for what it is

Routes could be planned ALOT better and teach the warehouse packers how to actually do their job properly management do care about drivers just care about the quota being met

Meh

Shift patterns are usually 2 weeks early 2 weeks lates, pays not bad extra for after 6pm/Sundays etc. management not great.job can depend on your route a lot of the time

It’s okay for a temporary job

Job itself is easy once you have been there a few weeks. You start on 3 days training and after your 2nd day you’re out on your own on training routes which are really easy (12 drops in the whole day) then after your first month you are changed onto 10hr shifts and have the same drops as the next person. Very early starts and you generally have to start early before your shift time (which you do not get paid for) to be able to have a good day, otherwise if you go by the times they set one delay will set you on the back foot for the whole day, this also includes if your van isn’t ready or not road worthy which can happen! No social life either as early starts and in most weekends unless you use your holiday entitlementFor me I found as time went on they gave more and more difficult drops, I was never delivering locally and was generally doing 200+ miles per day when other drivers were out all day only doing 50-80 miles on the same shift which never made sense to me, this took its toll as you are constantly tired because this mileage is not taken into consideration with the planning teamCertain drops you were not allocated enough time to complete and you were sent down what could only be described as dirt tracks with low hanging trees in a 3.5 tonne van which is fine however they are extremely strict on damage to vans. Marshals not consistent with checking for damage in the morning and it is almost a chore to them to check with you but will certainly blame you on your return. If the check sheets were updated regularly and in the correct manor then it would be a lot quicker -

Pros

Finishing early and still get paid, seeing new places, generally left alone

Cons

Long hours, no social life, treated more as a number than a person

Easy not bad paying job

Get to work on time, check your van, off you go, get back go home… easy as that. Easiest job you can do, can be demanding some days but van has a limit so only so tough, other days dead easy!

Pros

Work on own, break basically when you want

Cons

Can get hard days like busy cities and heavy loads but that’s it

Hard work

Was OK, huge place and quite stressful. Some people really helpful. Canteen was good with cheap breakfast. Uniform provided , some management would pitch in and help.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Not very friendly

Its ok

Its ok but like many big companies your just a number. No loyalty for time served and favours are forgotten about as soon as you clock out. the work always seems to increase to the point they literally cant squeeze anymore out the workforce.

Relaxed place to work

I have been at ocado hatfield for around 18 months now and I love it the managers are approachable and if you need help with anything they will help you out. I see a lot of bad reviews and honestly I can't work it out, just do your job and you will be fine.You get some amazing routes sometimes in the country or some routes in North london also if you finish early 1 or 2 hours you go home early with full pay nobody questions it and also if your back late which is rare they pay overtime no issue vans are loaded for you, you just turn up get your van registration from the screen and off you go. The times they give you to do each job is more than enough in the 18 months I've been here I've never had to rush on a delivery the training is also great and they go over everything thoroughly. Last thing it is shift work but it's super easy to change your shifts around they are really flexible which os one of the reasons I love it 10/10

Pros

Managers, shift swap, no stress

Ok work ltd

Nothing much if you do London depot you expect busy routes and a lot work hours if you outside London is more chilled but less money payment..........

Pros

Discount products

Cons

Busy routes London

Friendly work place, great training

I have now been driving for Ocado since September. It is very physical and you need to be a driver to do it right but overall it a good place to work. You can join in the laughs and conversations but if you want to sit quiet you can. I think it’s a steady job although not the greatest flat pay, however there is overtime available first come first serve which is fair. If you want to deliver food and need experience then Ocado is the place for you.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Flat pay

Just a number

Just a number, managment have gone down hill major in the 8 years I was there.Treated like a decimal point not even a number.Job and knock tho, so that's a good benefit.

Benefits

Cons

Work pattern

Big Purple One

Just loved dressing up like a big purple one it’s been a dream of mine since I was child because I absolutely adore quality street. Loved the big clunky boots and as a treat got to dress up in the Morrison’s outfit which was a real game changer. I’m only 4 foot 6 so the only downside was being called an umpa lumpa by some of the customers. Some of them even did the song which was disheartening.

Pros

Purple outfit

Cons

Umpa lumpa chant

Good company hard driving

Well run company. Paid every 2 weeks. Van is loaded for u. Gadget works well with specific delivery tips for hard to access addresses, of which there are many. Van is large an many roads are narrow. Shopping is heavy and often needs carrying significant distances. Breaks often scheduled when you are in the middle of nowhere so unless u brought food... Done worse delivery jobs but some of the areas u gotta go are very hard to drive round in a large van. And they are shxt-hot on damage control on the vans an u will scrape them.

Good work for short-term

If looking for a short-term job, I'd do the 10 hour × 4 shifts a week. But if in for the long haul I'd recommend doing 8 hour x 5 shifts a week. This is because you are going to need to take two loads on morrisons which can be a hassle at times but Ocado on 10 hours is straight forward 9/10 of the times. Overall good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Ocado Group with

Learn about Ocado Group in popular locations

• Ocado Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?