Off to Work

Off to Work Employee Reviews

Perfect job for uni life

I worked here during uni and I don't regret it. The main good thing about OTW is that you get to choose the shifts you want to work. So if you are a full time student, it's important to be allowed to choose your shifts according to your classes. The job itself is hard (e.g the dishes at the NEC are sooo heavy) but for a uni job, it's what you would expect. It's a company that provides staff for events, so the job is what it is. Waiter, cashier or bartender. You receive training for each of the positions.

Can be great company if there were enough shifts offered to employees

My first few weeks since starting at otw has had good times but also bad times. Although I love traveling to different places, meeting new people, being at interesting shifts and getting paid on time. The one thing that doesn't put a smile on my face is the lack of shifts available, they would give you many shifts to apply to but in reality you may get zero to one or two of those shifts a week. I would have to call to find out if I got any shifts from a list of 7 shifts available online only to be told there's no shift available for me, like why does it say there's so many shifts online and now you tell me there's none, that's super annoying especially if I am available on that day and want a shift. Even when I apply for a shift in advance I could still be left with 1 to 2 shifts a week, I am literally in heaven if that week I have more than 2 shifts because its like a dream most of the time and if I don't call its likely that there wouldn't be any shift available for me for that whole entire week. The only time they have a decent amount of shifts in a week is when the client needs as many employees as possible which is usually when we need a whole coach of people and that doesn't happen every week. I am going to university soon and I wanted my break to be filled with at least 4 to 6 shifts every week before I go to university, but its unlikely that would happen, to be honest I feel like I am not good enough for the company maybe there are better employees that they would rather take, I have only been there for a few weeks but I am not enjoying the lack of shifts and if -

Pros

free lunch, payment per hour is good, travel, meet new people and go to new locations, get tips, flexible

Cons

sometimes long hours are not worth the time spent there, lack of shifts, sometimes you have rude clients you work for, organisation of the agency is not always great, sometimes the shift breaks are too short or you are waiting too long before getting a break

Decent

It’s ok but sometimes there’s not a lot of work. It’s good for extra money not for living expenses. The people there can be mean but they don’t banish you like indeed flex... I’d choose Off to work over Indeed flex any day!

Pros

Sometimes provides transport

Cons

Not a lot of work

Yes......fun place to work. Some staffs are good while are ?

Well....I think the company should care about their staff as we not for only their clients. I personaly had terrible experience with them....during covid-19, the company let me down.

Pros

Free lunch

Great company

Great company to work for, lots of varied work and opportunities. Management is great always looking out for you, lots of training.

Pros

Free training

Great... until it wasn't

great amount of flexibility in the beginning. i worked in a range of places, from football grounds to functions, and although the work could be stressful at times (time pressure, handling extremely hot/heavy objects) it was the best paying of all the agencies. Everything was fine for a year until I called in sick one day with food poisoning. The event was late afternoon and the coach would have left in the morning. I was too unwell to go. Despite ringing, texting, and emailing the out of hours numbers/email address (company procedure when you were ill), and following up with a phone call the day after, I was fired immediately for not turning up for work. I tried to send them proof of my contacting them in the ways the contract had specified, and the company had blocked my email.

Pros

great pay

Cons

you're disposable because someone will come along and fill your position any time

Productive, conducive and fun place to work

Excellent team and effort. They are very professional and you get ti work mostly in corporate settings and events as well. Colleagues are social and great to work with.

Stressful and impersonal

I worked at off to work for 3 months and hated every second of it. The managements were strict, impersonal and rude. You were treated like a number not a human being. The hours were long - often people would be doing 14 hour shifts - with awful breaks. The anxiety of doing a new shift with different people every time was awful. Do not work here.

Pros

Free lunches most times, highest paying agency, assisted travel to far away jobs

Cons

Long hours, rude managers

Dont bother

They treat you like rubbish for the money they pay you, when u call to cancel work they try and force you to work that shift. Office staff no training on how to deal with people with complex needs, And their clients 🙄 dont get me started.

Cons

Different place of work everyday

I really enjoy this work because it never gets boring! Everyday the situation and the place changes, I feel challenged and I always learn something new.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

possible long hours to travel

My only complain, manager without heart

Manager can be quite cold. Someone was left at Perth and the bus drive continued, we didn't notice until she called. The .manager called the bus driver to say to leave her there.The poor girl had to pay for a cab from Perth to Edinburgh and the company refused to pay the expense.

never got no shifts

I have only worked with them once its ridiculous as i am a single parent looking for work and I thought this organization would help me.They should be more cultural and have someone to support you check if you need shifts i never enjoyed my experience i wish they could of give me more shifts beneficial to me and in right location.

Pros

free luncheds

Cons

hours to long and areas of work very far

Very flexible, offers great opportunities and high quality training

A few of the places I had the opportunity to work at was Cheltenham Race Course and at Milton Keynes Stadium where I and my team watched Take That perform from our little kiosk directly opposite the stage. This was fun and I learned how to work a till which I didn't have the prior experience in using. I also like how they text you if there's shifts available last minute either on the day or the next day. I like this as if I'm not doing anything or my plans get cancelled then I can just reply to the text to accept it. Very flexible, you choose which shifts you want and when, locational or by type (waitress, bartender, chef, barista, porter, general assistant, etc.) Additional training is available if you want to be trained in another sector like bartending, barista, etc. Which opens up more opportunities for you with Off To Work and other places too.

Pros

Excellent training, exciting opportunities and good employee support.

Cons

First come first served shifts so you have to apply to them ASAP.

awful firm

Little / No opportunities to advance Low salaries, unpaid extra hours No commissions / a poor and confusing bonus scheme that management can't even explain properly - and not all departments benefit from NO FURLOUGH - the owner decided not to (I guess this says a lot...)

Pros

some nice team activities, some lovely colleagues

Professional and would suit some lifestyles but extreme lack of job security

My main issue with the job was that they said from the start that you could pick up and turn down shifts as you choose because it was a zero-hour contract; they implied that you as the worker had no obligation to the employer as well as vice versa. In reality, they put you onto shifts at the last minute and took it very badly when you tried to rearrange a shift even several weeks in advance. The pay was quite good but wouldn't cover living costs because they won't put you onto enough shifts. The management was also very unorganised and expected all employees to be fully trained. However, I did learn vital skills in this job and my colleagues were very professional and fun to work with.

Productive and fun workplace

A great place to work with a positive workplace culture, with great oppurtinities for progression. Would recommend to anyone looking for work within the hospitality and staffing industry.

Worst agency ever

The rudest staff member I've ever come across. They have sent me and my friend home because we had nail varnish on, and told that this was our warning over such a little thing. They are insulting if you try to cancel a shift and would talk over you very rudely. THE WORDT AGENCY, with egoistic staff especially in CARDIFF.

18 March 2020
Good afternoon,We're very sorry to hear that you had such an experience with one of our team, especially as we ask our expect our handling of any such situation to be delivered with the greatest care.Unfortunately, as stated in our grooming guide and re-iterated at our assessment day, we cannot accept nail varnish of any colour on shifts as it is a cross-contamination hazard when working around food. Our process will have been to ask you to remove it and, if you refused, we would have had to send you home as we cannot take that risk with our client's guests and their safety.If there is anything further you would like to follow up with, our HR team are contactable at michelle.palmer@offtowork.co.uk where all details will be treated with full confidentiality and anonymity. Kindest regards,Jess @ OTW

Awful Management Behaviour

I am really surprised and disappointed at the confrontation I encountered with the management staff. I worked with Off to Work as hospitality front of house alongside both university and another waitressing job to earn a little more money. I had to cancel a shift recently due to the current increased risk of illness. Obviously, this is an inconvenience out of everyone’s hands. The shift was due to be an excessive total of 17 hours, 10.5 hours paid and the rest travel, beginning at 5am. I’m aware that my actions will have been inconvenient, however I didn’t believe the response was justified. The hours, combined with the risk of illness meant it was in my best interest to cancel. Regardless of the working circumstances and cancellation, when next contacting the office to confirm the situation, I was met with immediate hostility and was continuously spoken over. The working circumstances were irrelevant at this point as I was just so surprised at the unprovoked, rude and unprofessional conversation I was met with.

18 March 2020
Good afternoon,Thank you very much for you feedback on this matter. At Off to Work, we pride ourselves on supporting and creating an atmosphere full of respect to all of our casual team members as we know how important you are to the success of our brand. It is disappointing to hear that our actions did not meet those expectations and have left you upset. We would like to investigate this matter further to ensure that all members of our team are following the correct code of conduct. Would you be so kind to provide us with more information by contacting our HR team at michelle.palmer@offtowork.co.uk. All details will be treated with full confidentiality and anonymity. Kindest regards,Jess @ OTW

My first agency

Off to Work was the first agency I joined as a chef. We had to do a skills test that was really fun. I had fun, interesting jobs with them and worked at many different places, learning a lot and meeting some lifelong friends. The rate of pay is dreadful.

5 March 2020
Good afternoon, thanks for sharing your experiences with us!I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and can only apologise that our rate of pay is not what you were expecting. If this is something you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to contact our HR team at michelle.palmer@offtowork.co.uk.Kindest regards,Amanda @ OTW

Productive and helpful work staff

A typical day would be meeting up at the office to then meet the people I will work with on my shift. Each client has different needs so it is essential to listen and ask questions in order to provide the best service to their customers. Everyone is welcoming but as soon as work begins everyone gets to their station. The job is very fast-paced so it takes some adjusting to but the management team are always there to help.

3 March 2020
Hello,It's so good to hear that you're enjoying your time with us! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.Kindest regards,Amanda

productive and adventurous work place

OFF TO WORK is a very good company with a variety of skills that you can learn. It also gives you the opportunity to make new friends during the shift and go to a different event whether in the UK

Pros

flexible hours and transport providing to the work place

Cons

unorganised some times

5 March 2020
Hello,Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us.I'm so pleased to hear that you were able to make so many new friends throughout your time with us, and the wealth of skills you've picked up along the way. I'm sorry to hear that you felt we were unorganised at times. We work hard to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible for our team. Unfortunately, we can get quite busy during peak season which may look unorganised, but rest assured we have taken your feedback on board and have relayed to the team. Thank you for your patience with us at that time!Kindest regards,Amanda @ OTW

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Off to Work. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement

Compare Off to Work with

• Off to Work
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?