Office of Rail and Road

Office of Rail and Road Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working there and would recommend it to anyone seeking a professional H&S role. The training is of the first order and support continuous. The work is highly varied and requires commitment and flexibility. The hours are not always sociable but this goes with the nature of the work.
There is a variety of work included and accessibility to training schemes to enrich your knowledge in the field. However, there is no room to progress in your career, management is old fashioned and there is no diversity (heavily white oriented) in the organisation. There were also reports of bullying across the departments in the organisation that HR and senior managers failed to address.
The ORR is a very friendly place to work where someone is always willing to help. Typically the work is busy where much is expected of you, and there are a lot of learning opportunities as staff development is important. The management staff are visible and generally approachable, however it can be difficult to get time with them to present ideas, especially if you hold a more junior role. The hardest part of the job is the culture; ORR can be resistant to change and the people tend to work in silos. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility; staff tend to have a good work-life balance along with volunteering and learning opportunities.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Resistant culture
A typical day at work would include supporting my team of ten, as the teams assistant. I would carrying out various tasks such as, stakeholder management (managing meetings and clients), processing invoices and maintaining the records database. The management at work were really supportive and keen to allow their employees to progress. I got on well with my co-workers and have been described as a great team player. The hardest part of the job was managing the workload when there were conflicting deadlines but I enjoyed this aspect of my role as I liked the challenge and the opportunity to support many different lines of work. Organisation, communication and efficiency were key in this role. The most enjoyable part of this role was the varied work load and satisfaction that came from supporting several colleagues at once.
Pros
Good development opportunities
Cons
Working to a tight budget