Oldham Council logo
Oldham Council

Oldham Council Employee Reviews

Wasted potential

Felt I had to leave as I was boxed in by favouritism, cronyism, paranoia and envy. Could have done much more without the above, in spite of line manager's assertion that I was worthless...

I have not been treated fairly or given the opportunity to develop myself

I feel that I have not been treated fairly and given equal opportunity at my workplace. I have been there 15 years and I am still working in the same position, yet people who have started work after myself have been given opportunities to professionally develop

Pros

Some good colleagues

Cons

Not good management

senior management, management and staff at the attendance team are a disgrace.

Do not bother applying at the Oldham Council for position within early years and attendance, especially attendance, senior management, management and other staff are disgraceful, no respect for anyone, full of gossiping and you cant turn your back for a moment without hearing whispering behind your back.

Pros

no pros

Cons

disgraceful staff

Please avoid it

A complete disregard for employees, poor leadership, culture of bullying. Lack of trust, hard work is not appreciated, high staff turn over is not surprising.

Pros

Cons

Lack of appreciation

Awful place to work

Very poorly managed. No training offered no policies and procedures in place. Bully tactics used by principal officers. Sexist management. Very high work load. No consideration for staff safety or wellbeing.

Cons

Bully culture

I would not work for this LA again.

In my time working for OMBC I was subjected to racism and bullying. This was dealt with and I received an apology from the head of service. However, I have witnessed bullying on multiple occasions by management.

Awful

Poor management, poor development, left to wait days for work with no one to help. Training.... non existent. Management clueless..... the majority of management sat in meetings talking about meetings they had already had or that they need to have rather than doing some work.... utterly ridiculous.

Jobs for the boys

No growth, if your face fits your in the club, no matter how poor you are at the job - Management all bow down and bend over backwards for corrupt councillors, always finding ways to hide money - health and safety non existent - no scope for growth at all - boys club with mediocrity and incompetence rewarded, speak up and face reprocussions - beware before taking a role - especially if you are from the borough

good

Good atmosphere to work good management friendly staff town centre car parking issue busy collaboration/joint working good work life balance understanding manager

Oldham Council

I wash up, sweep, mop, set out tables an cutlery, serve food and clean up afterwards by using the dishwasher, and making sure the kitchen is clean and tidy ready for the next day, as well as completing any tasks that are given to me by my supervisor.

Jobs at Oldham Council

See more jobs

I was on a FTC which was ending due to department closure. However, I really enjoyed this job and was given a lot of autonomy to make better working practices.

Convenient location and one of Oldhams biggest employers

I worked on a casual basis for the local and European elections so it was a great opportunity for me to work for a large local employer and at the same time do something for my local community.

A bit stagnant, tired and a lot of redundancies

They don’t like change, a lot of money is spent on initiatives to implement change that are then shelved. There’s a lot of under appreciated people and talent working there, also a lot of dead wood. Management leave on huge pay outs. Progression is quite difficult as you’ll probably be served with a redundancy notice multiple times a year so no-one wants to risk moving roles.

Pros

Hours, colleagues

Cons

Low pay, culture, management

Very Fun and enjoyable

Planning activities. sports, football cricket. organising games throughout the school holidays. Learned how to plan liase with yp and families. Organising and planning activities. Maintaining Yp Behaviour making sure children are safe. Playing sports football with yp.

Nice place

There is a very relaxed atmosphere here which is nice however the work can often build up and leave you feeling overwhelmed. I worked here for several years and I loved most of my time here however it's very hard to progress to a new role, there is alot of pressure for you to remain in the same role for many years. I would definitely recommend people to work here however be very aware that you need to show your value to management or else you could find your name on a list of redundancies.

Pros

Good hours, nice pay

Cons

Too much work per staff member, high redundancy rate

Relaxed

It is a relaxed work place, however, I worked in a school but was employed by the council.Working in the school does have its perks but it also has it's stresses.

Pros

school holidays

Aging Work Force

The job role in itself was a varied admin role supporting governing bodies, daily work load was manageable and time was flexible. Oldham Council has many courses and programmes available to their staff for free which was fantastic and I really enjoyed this aspect. The role was temporary but many other temp positions available. I chose to leave because the majority of the work force is closer to retirement than early/mid career mark and could be a frustrating place to work. Many cannot use a computer and there was alot of negativity and moaning over not much. The Council would run alot better if the staff were given IT training, hours could be wasted by a whole team searching for a word document on one computer.

Pros

free courses

Cons

downbeat environment

Was great

Whilst I was there I enjoyed it, the managers where great with me and the working environment was great at the time for what I wanted. Can't argue with it.

Pros

great

Cons

great

Productive and fun workplace

a typical day at Oldham Council included team building exercises and leadership skills. I learnt how to work well with others and work just as well independently. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a laugh with friends whilst being able to work

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

No transport near

A typical day at work consisted of getting on for 7:45 and leaving at 16:00 Upon arriving to work I would have my workload set out for the day and this would keep me constantly busy throughout my day.

Fu n place

Always enjoyed working there Different locations besides my main one. Been in some creepy old buildings. Good manager and training To get nhmbersi of hours had couple oc different locations to work at

Pros

Good wages

Cons

Had to do a few locations to get the hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldham Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement