Oliver Bonas

Oliver Bonas Employee Reviews

Varies store to store

My personal experience of Oliver Bonas was overall good. I feel like I got lucky with my manager as they were the best I have ever had. They were supportive of my mental health issues, always listened and never judged. There's the general monotony of retail work which is to be expected but if you find a good team then it can be very enjoyable. Discounts are very good!I dislike the management ABOVE store management, so that's the area managers and their teams. Or when people from head office come down. They all seem so out of touch and really pushy and fake like "wow omg isn't Oliver bonas incredibly amazing, hello customer would you like to buy this skirt, I will if you dont! This company is saving the world" like ... chill. Sadly visits from these people happens more regularly than it did before the pandemic. Also we used to have set days and the weeks would work pretty regularly, with everyone doing their rota-ed hours in a specific shift pattern. But since COVID they introduced "Flexi contracts" which basically mean every single week the rota can change ( I think ... it really hasn't been explained well). Luckily my manager kept our rota pretty much the same but I have friends in other stores that say its a nightmare now that they never know what their weeks are gonna look like. Me and my team members also had to take a 20 minute maths test in our interview which I thought was a bit odd. Anyway, OB is a company that is a little bit in love with itself BUT get yourself a good manager and it can be amazing.

Pros

great discount. competitive salary (if you're payed hourly)

Cons

Head office is a pain, training isnt amazing

Fun work environment tough management

Really nice environment to work in however the managers do expect a lot from part time workers but that’s is something to get used to working in retail. Hard hours to work but overall a really nice work family

Productive and fun workplace

I was a seasonal team member in Oliver Bonas and I enjoyed my time there. Although I don’t want to work in retail it was nice to have the experience. In addition the staff were friendly and helpful.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Standing outside in the cold to monitor the people coming in and out

Good company to work for, excellent co-workers.

The company cares about its employees and the work environment is relaxed, but requires many targets. I have learned a lot and we work in differents departments when is busy.

Pros

Free coffee, tea. Sample sale, discount.

Cons

Target

Productive and fun

Nice place to work, very good pay, however management wasn’t great and neither was training process, I was expected to know things I wasn’t trained for

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Strict rules

Work wise

Mangers are firm and not always fair quick enough to pass the blame. Or change your job role as well as on the spot expect you to do overtime and do weekends. Can be fast paste whenever sort staffed

Pros

Free lunch twice a month payed

Cons

Long hours. Weekends

Låg arbetsmoral, hierarki

Hierarki som på många ställen i London, få timmar, personalrum blandat med kontor och lager På 5 kvadratmeter..

Bright and colourful

This was a great place to work however I found you end up being a supervisor for not enough money. When things went wrong, there wasn’t always a manager to ask and it was sometimes a nightmare to call in sick as you had no manager to ring, you had to just go in when you weren’t well

Pros

Great people and lovely staff

Cons

Not enough money for supervisor style role

Versatile role with a fun working environment

A typical day working in Oliver Bonas would differ each shift. Rotation of each departments can be expected from each shift you do which means you are dealing with every aspect of the shop and customer service experience which I liked. Also, the staff and management were wonderful and I felt immediately welcomed into the Oliver Bonas family.

Great team, high expectations

A lot was expected of us at OB, but it made for a good working environment. My manager was really good at delegating tasks and making us feel part of a team. We all took it in turns to have a go at different jobs.

Jobs at Oliver Bonas

See more jobs

Great place to work. Manager satisfaction can vary from store to store

I have worked in the company for three years and have had nothing but a great time. You have the opportunity to pick up work when and if you want in other stores (if needed) which I found very helpful. There is a very personal approach to work whereby nearly everyone is lovely to each other. I have found that manager satisfaction differs from store to store, but overall I have never met a colleague who I would say I don't get along with. Most stores have 1-2 managers so getting along with at least one of them is key otherwise your in for stress. Lots of team members move stores often so most normally move if they don't like it. (Internal candidates are favoured.)

Happy and vibrant workplace

Everyone there strives to keep the workplace and workforce as happy and busy as possible by trying to organise a variety of different activities and events. This is needed as the location sort of isolates the company and you aren't involved in buzz/hub of central London.

Friendly & Enjoyable Workplace

Oliver Bonas is an enjoyable place of work, having a good management and team truly helps. OB has a positive workplace culture and always strive to do their best for their customers and colleagues.

Fun, collaborative work place

Oliver Bonas makes you feel valued as an employee, making retail a fun and enjoyable experience. OB's management ensure staff are comfortable and trained in all areas to undertake tasks.

Pros

Staff Discount

Cons

Weekend Hours

I thoroughly enjoyed my team with OB from start date to finish, the management and co-workers were great and the work load was enough to keep us busy every day.

Oliver Bonas - London

Great culture, friendly and creative environment! There’s always a chance to progress and learn something new everyday! Management + HR are also super helpful all the time, making it a fun and stress free place to work.

Calm

A very slow store which only becomes busy during lunch hours and rush hour. I learned how to wrap properly with lots of practice. Management was friendly

Nice and relaxed place to work - definately reccommend!

Great place to work. Easy going. Not sales focused which was really nice. Always a job to do so you never get bored. Very busy so shifts go by super quick. Lovely people and nice management. Great for your first retail job or great for filling a gap in your CV. Short or long shifts. Discount on products.

You come in for your shift no real directions of what you should be doing. Managers doing everything but not delegating to staff members. No training

After been in retail for many years I decided it was time to go part-time so I applied for a position at Oliver bonas Sadly I was told that I doesn’t have a training program it all on the job training. As a new store to me I would expect training no matter how much or little experience you have Th

Pros

Great brand ideal if you need part time work min wage or just above

Cons

No training, no direction, key holders so managers leave early, no training manual, left to close with no manager when no fully trained, abrupt assistant manager, no praise or recognition, low staff morale, being told two or three times and being expected to know everything, no real till training or online just told to wing it!

3 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been unhappy with the level of training you received in store. We do ensure that our management teams are able to provide any initial training needed for new joiners, whether that’s on or off the shop floor so that our Team Members are thoroughly prepared to take on their new role. We work to continuously to improve material and resources available making these easily accessible to all OB team members through our digital learning platform, should that be for a quick refresh on key topics or finding material to help with your own personal development. If there are any other concerns you wish to raise, please do not hesitate to get in touch us directly.

Monumentally disappointing

I couldn't possibly hold a lower opinion of the Area Management team at this point in time. As an experienced and successful Store Manager I have never had an Area Manager so unprofessional and absent as I did at OB. I'm disgusted and extremely angry to hear from a reliable source, months after my leaving, that my area manager repeatedly 'slagged off' my successful store on visits to other branches. Yet failed to mention any concerns to myself. This behaviour is why you can't keep experienced managers, and this is why I highly recommend that people don't work for you. Work hard, play hard, be kind? Yeah, right.

3 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you have had such a disappointing experience since leaving the business and that you have felt your Area Manager has provided some unfair comments around your store’s performance. If there are any specific issues you wish to raise directly with the OB People team in more detail, please do feel free to get in touch.

Management take advantage

Employed on a part time basis for two days a week but expected to work double that, if not more. Rota changes without being told, and they’ll put you down for overtime that you haven’t agreed to - makes things awkward if you actually have a life outside of work so you can’t be available at the drop of a hat. Usually asked to stay until close even if you’re not contracted to.

3 February 2020
Thanks for providing us with feedback on your time with us here at OB. It’s disappointing to hear that you have felt that your rota was changed without prior notice. At OB we believe our team members should feel they are able to strike the right balance, enjoying not just their time at work but outside of work too. We naturally require our team members to at times be flexible to meet the needs of their store, but if you have any specific examples of times you feel your rota was changed unexpectedly or you had to work extra hours you did not agee to, then please do get in touch with our people team to discuss this in more detail.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oliver Bonas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement