Ombudsman Services

Ombudsman Services Employee Reviews

Intense

Ombudsman Services places a great deal of pressure on its workforce to meet targets with quality reports. The targets set are not achievable if quality is paramount unless the operative puts in unpaid time. The management are not in touch with the work force.

Pros

A good restaurant on site

Cons

Management style; policies; overbearing

Not nice

They bring in managers from banks and mobile phone companies giving them if big bonuses, they with no complaints background and worked for companies who created the mis selling banks and mobile customer issues. These then get rid of the people answering the phone calls. You can pick and choose from the intray for quick hits and no difficulty if your face fits. Really unpleasant atmosphere for those people who had to take the calls with lots of lets play games to make out it was all fun and games.

Pros

Cons

lots

I have worked in many companies over the years, and Ombudsman Services is, bar far, my favourite one. There's some really great people policies and work culture and the business really people very well. The benefits are really good - for example, holiday balance is 26 days + bank holidays (and this increases with length of service too!). they are really good with out of work commitments and are happy to be flexible with you if they can.Really recommend working here.

Pros

Excellent wellbeing initiatives (including free healthy breakfast), Excellent benefits, excellent work-life balance.

Cons

Public transport links can be limited, but it's very well located next to the M56

If Your Face Fits, Favouritism, Unprofessionalism & Stressful

This workplace is filled with stress, if your pally with the right people, you will be cushy and offline all the time. If your not, you will always be in a repetitive cycle of stress, watching others do nothing. Managers, openly discuss other team members personal issues with your team. You will take call after call and resent others, because of the poor management. Overall you hate going to work, It is not an enjoyable role and you will burn out quickly. There is no progression and you will be jumping through hoops. Once out of training you are basically a worker bee. Ok pay but you will never make it as you will look for something different as not enjoyable or feasible to stay within the role. You will leave with a sigh of relief.

Stressful

The job itself is not too bad and training itself is amazing. However the moment you start the actual job the bubble bursts. If your face does not fit, do not even think of progressing never mind staying there for longer. Everyone there is disposable so if you do work there make friends with someone in position to keep your job or build a career. Other wise you are trash.

Worst Management

When you apply for the role you are told that you will be working 50% back office and 50% on the telephone. This is not the case and you only receive back office if your face fits. Favouritism is big in this company with the managers and you are only offered progression if you're one of the favourites. Prepared to pick up all the slack if you're not in with the managers and be prepared to receive phone call after phone call of complaints with no support. People who are cherry picked often do no or little work and stand around with the managers. Managers will not help with escalations so get to know the building well as you will jump from department to department trying to seek help when needed. Overall I would not recommend working here, most of my colleagues left within a year and staff retention is very low due to treatment.

Pros

Cons

Poor Management

Productive and a nice working environ

Once I arrive at the office, I check my schedule and work load fro the day. I log into my telephone system and then check my emails. Once all my checks are complete I sign into the company system Peppermint and start my allocations.

Pros

Work from home 50%

Cons

Salery

Good company

Good company to work for just not Many job opportunities available. I would like to progress further with my career an looking for a new challenge.

Pros

Good working hours

Cons

Basic pay

Hated every minute of working here like most people. If you enjoy watching other workers who are favoured by managers not work and break all the rules enjoy. Likely to get promoted if you dress in less and are young. Really unfair quality assesments where it also helps if you get on well with the people who assess you. The bonus system purely based on favouritism and the benefits are terrible. Traffic is terrible expect a ten minute journey to take an hour. Wouldn't recommend working here ever.

Pros

Cons

Lots

Great in theory, but in practice not so much.

Similar to other reviews, the company suffers from a culture of misleading its staff. Goalposts constantly being moved, lack of support when new "processes" are implemented etc. A new consultation regarding employment contracts was enacted in January 2015 which vastly altered the terms of many peoples contracts. No Union, so accept it or tough luck. Management are clueless when it comes to some of the processes so there is a major absence of support when matters require escalation, which is frequent in this complaints culture. Some of the participating companies we work with also fail to regularly comply with us which obscures the quality of work we undertake, directly affecting the customer. There is a confusion regarding the company's wider function and place within the industry which the company could do far more to educate customers on, and despite numerous suggestions, fails regularly to do this. Overall, poor management of the role, and a focus on elements of the role which are unrealistic for us to obtain means minimal progress within the company. I've worked for worse companies...but I've also worked for better ones. Actively seeking employment elsewhere.

Pros

Decent salary, like-minded colleagues, modern office

Cons

Micromanagement, lack of robust processes, no support, muddled objectives

Jobs at Ombudsman Services

See more jobs

Unhappy atmosphere

Used to offer a laid back and quite a supportive atmosphere but over the years has been transformed into just another call centre where quantity not quality is the only criteria that matters. Extremely stressful job now with no respite from infuriated customers and no support from managers who refuse to take escalated calls. Lovely and professional colleagues who try to do their best but are often put in impossible situations. A culture of fear now pervades the office due to the impossible targets.

Pros

Set hours/days of work, bank holidays off

Cons

Very aggressive customers, lack of support, no pay rises

Poor chance of growth and development

I worked for the company for over 10 years applied for 8 internal posts and didn't progress. Other members of staff would be offered development plans for posts or posts which may not have been advertised. Face-fitting culture. Progress depends on how well you get on with your manager and how respected that manager is.

Pros

Flexi time (whilst I was there)

Cons

Face-fitting culture - lack of development

Unrealistic targets, Poor and lazy management.

Everyone who started at the same time as me this year has either left, or got a new job due to the unfriendly environment of this workplace. I was mis-sold this job, when I went for an interview I was told this was a contact centre and the roles would be split into written correspondence, emails and telephone. However, all of the duties of this job just include answering calls the very rare occasion that you get to work on cases back office is interrupted by managers demanding to take more calls, even if you are in the middle of someones case. The managers will do anything to avoid taking escalated calls and therefore but you in the awkward position of taking the wrath of the customers anger for not doing what they asked. I have never worked in a place before where the managers literally do nothing. If after a call you're in wrap for longer than a minute you will receive several managers approaching you to ask if you're suppose to be in wrap, even if you're finishing off the notes of the complaint. The company document everything but if you ask for a copy of your notes, you're told that you're not entitled to them. The good thing about this role is the different complaints that come in, therefore your knowledge of complaints procedures expand. It has also equipped me with more administration skills, and the hours of work are good, although I believe these are changing. Job stability is also not good, they have Bradford Factor system but they can also skip their own procedures if they feel they can. Tough and conflicting information about QA received, very few -

Pros

The current hours 9-5, being on back office.

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication

Productive Workplace

A good place to work. However, once I had ended my maternity leave they wanted me to work full time and those hours do not fit in with my lifestyle

A great place to work

Great work life balance Great opportunities Balanced cultire

Pros

Work Life Balance

Good Wrok place

All in all very busy but fun, great team that i worked with and my line manager was great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ombudsman Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8