Openreach logo
Openreach

Openreach Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Not bad but not the best.

If you accept the fact that you arent going to progress as quickly as you'd like to this is a great job! Ambition although praised and enjoyed by management is rarely rewarded and you are often left disappointed or doing work outside of your pay bracket.I enjoy my job and i feel it is a great choice to starting a career in the telecommunications sector.

Pros

Good crack with fellow engineers

Cons

Progression is much harder than promised.

Poor communication for a communications company

This is a place where no departments communicate with each other. The only thing that matters to management are stats. Upon the interview they go on about quality in work being much more important than quantity, however this does not actually matter when you start do the actual job itself. A poorly paid job where you have to take a lot of stick from communication providers, who get away with speaking to you like dirt. Also getting a permanent contract with Openreach is nearby impossible.

Pros

Cons

Extremely poor management that make you feel undervalued

Just dont

Worked here for over a year now from starting at a apprentice level. Was good at start but went down hill very fast . There was never any work in chief engineers . Its not even a nvq apprenticeship anymore and allways asked for extra time for learning and never got it and just got told "ill pick it up along the way" . This place is a absolute circus where management don't know what is happening and clerk of works thinks they are the best when they are just engineers who couldn't work in the cold weather . Spoke to management regarding a few issues I had whilst working explaining I didint like waiting around for work and it's this job is taking a toll on my mental helath . Got told if I don't like it just leave because there's a long queue to get into the company. Really disgusting behaviour for a company that prides it self on looking after their employees . Just don't work here you're better off on the dole .

Pros

Van tools

Cons

Will make youre mental health worse

Concentration camp

Was a good place to work however managers are not managers they are jumped up engineers .expected to drive in adverse conditions. Not long enough to complete jobs always getting phone calls asking if you can pick up more work. No time to get stores not enough time to go to garage when service is due on vehicle.

The Gold Standard In Telecoms Engineering Operations

Openreach reflects its long pedigree as formerly part of a global leader in telecommunications. Because of this, its maintenance of standards, training, on the job support and care packages for staff, are flawless. When I was there I felt included and supported to achieve more than my expectations. The tools, equipment and the way in which your skills are built to be robust and comprehensive, clearly derive from a long company history of success and excellent traditions, driven by good management of impeccable standards and consideration for staff. If you want a career in Telecommunications Customer Service Enginnering, this is the place to be.

Pros

Training, Support, Workplace Culture.

Cons

Cannot think of any.

Just excellent cant praise this company enough

I wish I applied to Openreach years ago , I started in January as a service desk team member, excellent colleagues, great manager , smashing pay pack and a soon to be stunning new office in the heart of Birmingham when we go back in June , I am very proud to work for Openreach a very diverse company, I had housing background but I got the job based on what they saw about my skills I’ve gained. Once again 5* , very hard to get in and once your in you would never want to leave !

Pros

Cons

Nothing at all

Too many stats

If you underachieve they will sack you like a day.The company makes money from end users by cutting them off either overhead, underground or in the cabinet so they have to report a fault.Engineers are told to connect one and cut off 3.

Pros

Out and about

Cons

Statistics

Great oportunity

It was stressful at times but i loved this job wish i was still working there theres always someone on end of phone if your struggling always willing to help the staff are great and really looked after me

Good job , ruined by middle management.

Constant harassment due to lack of forward thinking from management , bullying culture and absolutely irrelevant stat chasing. Micro managed heavily and expected to bend over backwards for quite frankly a poor wage for skilled work.

Pros

It's not a prison

Cons

As above

Good WOrkplace

Ok Very good place to work at I enjoyed 47 years and learnt a lot about communications and other things the people are very helpful if you have any personal problems

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

All depends on the work you do

Jobs at Openreach

See more jobs

Ex engineer. 9 years

Managers are bullies, they continually badger you about jobs when they often don’t know what an engineer faces on a daily basis.Absolutely no career progression unless you want to become a manager and get treated like a piece of *** from the senior manager.No sideways moves either unless you can’t do your job or can blag an injury.If you turn up on time, every day and do the job to a high standard, you will be told to work harder and often get made to work extra hours on compulsory overtime.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Too many to mention

No work life balance constant pressure

Management breathing down your neck all day every day No work life balance singled out by management and ridiculed by peers Not willing to teach workers just expect you to know all very fast

Marmite

Either love it or hate it, it's for some people and really not for others. Weird set up if you're not used to working at a company like this and it will be very hard to get used to

Seen the light

Completed just under 40 years with the company and not so much as a goodbye aside from a letter from the CEO. Decided to take a package on offer to leave and now feel valued for my contributions and not looking over my shoulder for nit picky managers who value admin over output. One of those companys if your face fits you will go far but if you do not embrace their challenge cup initiatives or the latest reinvention of the wheel then you are sidelined. A company who like to talk the talk but fail to do the walk.

Pros

Money

Cons

Poor and Petty Management

Basic 47.5 Hour Working week

Tell you it’s 37.5 hr working week but don’t tell until you’ve stated that you have also to give 1hr in the morning and 1 hour in the evening of your own time , when you take this into account you paid just about the minimum wage . Also you have no right to overtime HOWEVER they do have right to MAKE you work overtime regardless if you want to or not .You will also have to work Some SATURDAYS . You can have any plans you did have disrupted by a requirement to work on the day you had something else planned . It’s short time job as once fibre is in the requirement for engineers will be less and they know this as they have started to change their redundancy terms For the future BEWARE it’s not what they make it out to be !

Pros

Low paid job .

Cons

Long hours, weekend working not seeing your kids forced overtime

Good company

My overall view of openreach is positive, I worked BT and openreach for 36 year and had a happy fulfilled career with them, numerous opportunities to enhance your experience and progress through the company,

Pros

Lots of opportunities

Cons

Big company

34 years experience from engineer to Area Fibre planning manager

They have given me a good standard of life over ÂŁ50k worth of shares and still another ÂŁ30k to come plus I have had a pay off and in January 2021 I will receive just over ÂŁ125k lump sum pension and a monthly pension of ÂŁ1,800 a month for the rest of my life So great to retire so young but the company is not progressing at all they will start to offer packages to help reduce staff levels and potential be sold off from BT group eventually

Pros

Pension

Cons

Not flexible

Openreach is a great place to work, the work life balance is really good and the safety and well-being of staff is paramount. Colleagues are always on hand to help and guide you.

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Pay could be a little more

Not a great place

If you want to spend your day being badgered by a manager who doesn't even know how to do your job, then welcome to BT/Openreach. Should you have any time off for sick, you can welcome weekly phone calls demanding to know when you'll be back in the workstack. If the sick is for an injury or medical procedure, you will not be given light duties when you return, but put straight back into the usual day to day. If you want to climb the ladder at BT, the only one you'll go up, is leaned against a pole. Your choices are engineer or nothing. Level 1 managers are no more than a whipping boy for higher management. And best of all, if you take long term sick, and you have any grievances going against you, the company will happily carry these out, even though they're supposed to be dealt with while you actually within the company doors. And god forbid you should ever suffer from Stress or Depression (or worse). Your manager will actually tell you he thinks you make it out to be worse than it is.

Pros

Free van and tools

Cons

Bad management, no progression opportunities.

Good

Openreach was a great place to work. Plenty of opportunities for overtime of wanted and great variety in the work you do everyday. You are never in one location. The work was very technical but also extremely interesting. Very good towards understanding with family emergencies and children

Pros

Variety in working days, outdoors

Cons

Management, stressful

Gaslighting by openreach

A company that doesn’t trust its most important asset, it’s engineers which speaks volumes. A company that will brainwash you in to believing there is no better company to work for. A company that claims to have its staffs interest at heart but you’re nothing more than a number on the spread sheet. A communications company that can’t communicate with its own employees. A company that gives new recruiters inadequate training just to rush them through to try & make a quick buck. A company that resembles a contractor company more & more every day. The job itself is a good job, it’s the people higher up the chain who don’t know how to do the engineering job other than what it says on their clipboard that make it an unpleasant company to be part of. Use the company as a stepping stone to finding something better elsewhere, after 30+ years I’ve seen many changes & in its current state it’s at its least appealing & early retirement is a real hope. Management has a bullying culture which filters down through the chain of command by spineless “yes men/women”. Emails get sent late at night because there’s too much work for a manager to do in their normal contracted hours & they can’t do their jobs because of it. If you come on as an engineer & park your van at home, you have to give the company 1 hour of your time at the start & end of day unpaid (10 hours/week, 520/hours (minus leave entitlement) a year for free) & you have to charge everything up drills, laptop, batteries etc using your own electricity. Expect to have to work between 12-16 Saturdays a year, you didn’t -

Pros

Clothing, tools, vehicle, fellow workers

Cons

Bullying, lack of trust, pressure, gaslighting, inadequate training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Openreach. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement