Optical Express
Happiness score is 32 out of 100

Optical Express Employee Reviews

United Kingdom155 reviews

expresslasertargetsurgeryclinicpatientrolehead

Fast paced, with power blinded managers

Optical Express cold calling centre was competitive with daily "competitions" for who could get the most "sales" (read: consultation bookings). This then translated into stress, and trying to get anyone in for consultations regardless if the customer would even need it. They took one period of sick leave on my part as two strikes (apparently they have a three strikes and out system). I took that opportunity to leave, after 6 short months working there.

Great company

I started in June 2022, from the day I started I have loved my job. I am always learning new aspects to the role which makes it very interesting. Great support from head office, all senior management are very approachable and just a phone call away. On-going training plans for staff to keep everyone up to date. It is such a rewarding job, great seeing patients go through laser eye surgery and how life changing it is for them. I have a great work life balance. A very friendly working environment.

Pros

Supportive management. Friendly working environment.

Insights into Optical Express

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

A busy environment but enjoyable

I've worked for Optical Express Belfast almost 7 years now and although there have changes in the role over the years I thoroughly enjoy my job. I enjoy meeting new people everyday and learning about the innovative and exciting ways we can change our customers lives. With our new state of the art clinic inclusive of the latest technology, Optical Express Belfast is an amazing place to work.I would definitely recommend applying for one of the job vacancies if you enjoy team work, helping to change lives and providing excellent customer service.

Having been qualified for over 11 years as an Optometrist, I felt I had seen most of what could be offered from general practice level. Being trained on the surgery side of consultations and post-ops has given me a new lease of professional life and kept my clinical brain refreshed. Training has been excellent and I work with a fantastic team. Really enjoying it here.

Great place to work.

Absolutely fantastic place to work, management are honestly second to none. Super friendly staff and all very helpful and welcoming. Excellent and thorough training given on site.

Cons

Covid/sick pay

Great Company to work for

Brilliant place to work. Supportive and accessible management, from local level right the way up. Lots of training opportunities and career progression throughout the company! Best career decision I’ve made.

Great Company to work for so far

I have only been with the company a couple of months but so far I have found colleagues and management very helpful, friendly and supportive. I have not felt pressure to learn new things quickly. There is definite room for progression within the company and they can see your potential.

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Not found any as of yet

Productive and plenty of support for progression

I have worked for optical express for 4 years now, started as a PA and now have a dual role also in theatre. I thoroughly enjoy working here and have received all the ongoing support I need to progress within the company. We have a great team here where there is mutual respect, friendly competition and a genuine work/life balance!

Forward thinking and great place to work!

I have worked for Optical Express for 4 years now. As a manager, I enjoy the freedom to manage the clinic and team on my own whilst also supported by the senior management team. I have built strong relationships with other clinics and departments, who have also supported me greatly over the years. I thoroughly enjoy my role here, and recommend anyone looking a challenging, fulfilling role to apply!

Fantastic place to work, totally supported in my role

I highly recommend working for Optical Express. I have never felt more supported in a role or had a more helpful line manager or senior management team.I am a hospital manager and oversee both the clinic and surgery, it is a varied and interesting role.I enjoy ensuring our patients get the best possible care and that the team caring for them get all the support they need to succeed and progress.My salary is competitive and bonus is achievable.From recruitment to promotion to my current role, I can not fault the process.If you are thinking of applying for a role at Optical Express go for it you won't be disappointed.

Enjoyable Work Environment

Overall I have found OE to be a supportive employer, encouraging and helpful. The colleagues I worked with were great. Everyone tried to rally round and support one another in a competitive environment which was great so nobody was left behind. Support was available if needed. If you put in the effort then you’ll reap the rewards. Can be fast paced but nothing too crazy. I would recommend anyone to apply to OE as you will not regret it. Excellent opportunities.

Really enjoyable

I really enjoy my role. There is a great team and our patient interactions are so rewarding.My manager is really supportive and I work in a nice clinic.The job is fast paced but I really enjoy that

Fantastic place to work

I started with optical express back in August last year. I was initially brought in as a customer care advisor. Management couldn't be more helpful in easing me into the new role and by working alongside experienced members of staff I quickly took to the role. The atmosphere is very relaxed and everyone is very welcoming. No issue is too small for managers and they will make sure to give you all the tools to do your job. Development of staff is at the heart of what the company are all about and I have been moved into working within the learning and development team within 6 months of starting and I am loving the new challenges and responsibilities that comes with.Facilities on site are incredible. Situated in the city centre and within walking distance of public transport. There is a restaurant on site that is heavily subsidised with menus being updated every week. I would recommend to anyone to apply with optical express as it is a fantastic place to work.

Great Place to Work

Highly recommend a career at Optical Express. The progression opportunities I have been presented with are outstanding. Supportive leadership team. I get the opportunity to travel with work to different cities. I work with a great team of people who make coming to work really easy each day.

Pros

Discounted Restaurant Discounted City Parking Friendly and Supportive Leadership Team

Do not recommend

Initially I enjoyed my role as Assistant Manager, I was quickly promoted to Clinic Manager after the company made most employees redundant at the start of the pandemic. I was promised the earth and more but senior management could not stick to their word. I felt a lack of support through difficult times and the key aspect of the role was profit/KPIs and not patient care. I have never felt such a big weight being lifted after leaving my role.

Horrible environment to work in

Horrible place to work, very very bad for mental health. Came home crying some nights. People outside my office seemed nice but my office very very clique and unfriendly towards new people.Given very little training then thrown into deep end then made to feel useless if you get something wrong. Spoken to like scum, treated like a child, most people unapproachable/unhelpful and impatient.Been brought in and not being trained for the job you applied for. Confidence completely drained with every passing day.Do not work here unless you want your mental health and confidence taken from you.

Pros

Cons

Horrible toxic environment, unfriendly colleagues, cliquey, not doing job you get brought in for

Awful is an understatment

Simply, the worst company I have ever worked for. Terrible work/life balance. Payroll was often messed up for myself and colleagues every month. Many false promises of commission/ commission structure changes constantly to lure you into a what is essentially a poorly paid job for the amount of work you have to do. Forced to work overtime for free, 30 mins breaks (if that). Terrible customer care. Very dodgy clinical practise by the company which racked me with guilt having to sell a product which often left patients worse off. Little to no training, just an overall awful company. You are also expected to go and work in other areas of the UK at the drop of a hat, usually with 1-2 days notice. Management assure that you can get petrol/parking back through expenses....good luck with that. When expenses were paid (every 2 weeks) it was often wrong leaving you out of pocket for a long time.

Pros

Interesting to work with skilled optoms

Cons

Everything!

Absolute disgrace of a company

Worst job ever. Managers and owner are a bunch of cowboys. No work life balance and they only care about results. Stay well clear of this company. Misleading advertising to get the customers through the door. Run down office with computers that hardly work. You only hope the owner is in a good mood otherwise he yells at staff from his office across the floor. Managers cringe when he enters in fear of being yelled at.

Pros

Leaving

Cons

Mass redundancy and sales pressure

Many made redundant unexpectedly and in a very unprofessional manner,sales targets most of the time totally inappropriate.Training excellent though and depends on what store you work in what experience you will have

Disappointing

Was so excited to work here, but really wouldn't recommend. No support what so ever, just left to your own devices from the first day! Poor management, no formal training. I've worked in healthcare for almost 20 years and have never worked somewhere so poorly organised. AND no pay for covid sickness?! It's a shame as could be a great place to work, the team of nurses and surgery associates are so hard working and lovely.

Pros

Great team

Cons

Super long hours, no support, no training, no cleaners, no time!

Worst company I have ever worked for

This company does not care for staff or patients. They say they are trying to get away from the "sales" aspect of the business but do very little to actually achieve this. A lot of patients give feedback that as soon as the company has your money they no longer care about the rest of the patient journey, which is frustrating when most of the staff (optometrists, patient advisors and clinic managers) try their best to care for their patients but to no avail, as everything is micro managed and you can't do anything to help. It is the first company I have worked for that doesn't give an annual pay increase based on, at the very least, the increase of living. You have to fight tooth and nail for one and they won't even acknowledge the request unless your performance is outstanding - even then it is most likely still a no. The thought of staying with a company for 5 years with no annual salary increase or any type of reward for service means the company has a very high turnover of staff and leads to very little motivation for good staff to stay.Regional directors will happily lie to you just to keep you quiet as they do not care about staff welfare in the slightest.The company does not promote from within and is much happier hiring externally when the candidates have no optics background or knowledge and then gives no training or support, leaving other (much lower paid) members of staff to train newcomers.All staff are expected to go above and beyond for the company with nothing in return and if you say no to requests then you are singled out and treated unfairly.If you are -

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optical Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Optical Express with

Learn about Optical Express in popular locations

• Optical Express
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?