Optical Express

Optical Express Employee Reviews

Awful is an understatment

Simply, the worst company I have ever worked for. Terrible work/life balance. Payroll was often messed up for myself and colleagues every month. Many false promises of commission/ commission structure changes constantly to lure you into a what is essentially a poorly paid job for the amount of work you have to do. Forced to work overtime for free, 30 mins breaks (if that). Terrible customer care. Very dodgy clinical practise by the company which racked me with guilt having to sell a product which often left patients worse off. Little to no training, just an overall awful company. You are also expected to go and work in other areas of the UK at the drop of a hat, usually with 1-2 days notice. Management assure that you can get petrol/parking back through expenses....good luck with that. When expenses were paid (every 2 weeks) it was often wrong leaving you out of pocket for a long time.

Pros

Interesting to work with skilled optoms

Cons

Everything!

Absolute disgrace of a company

Worst job ever. Managers and owner are a bunch of cowboys. No work life balance and they only care about results. Stay well clear of this company. Misleading advertising to get the customers through the door. Run down office with computers that hardly work. You only hope the owner is in a good mood otherwise he yells at staff from his office across the floor. Managers cringe when he enters in fear of being yelled at.

Pros

Leaving

Cons

Mass redundancy and sales pressure

Many made redundant unexpectedly and in a very unprofessional manner,sales targets most of the time totally inappropriate.Training excellent though and depends on what store you work in what experience you will have

Disappointing

Was so excited to work here, but really wouldn't recommend. No support what so ever, just left to your own devices from the first day! Poor management, no formal training. I've worked in healthcare for almost 20 years and have never worked somewhere so poorly organised. AND no pay for covid sickness?! It's a shame as could be a great place to work, the team of nurses and surgery associates are so hard working and lovely.

Pros

Great team

Cons

Super long hours, no support, no training, no cleaners, no time!

Worst company I have ever worked for

This company does not care for staff or patients. They say they are trying to get away from the "sales" aspect of the business but do very little to actually achieve this. A lot of patients give feedback that as soon as the company has your money they no longer care about the rest of the patient journey, which is frustrating when most of the staff (optometrists, patient advisors and clinic managers) try their best to care for their patients but to no avail, as everything is micro managed and you can't do anything to help. It is the first company I have worked for that doesn't give an annual pay increase based on, at the very least, the increase of living. You have to fight tooth and nail for one and they won't even acknowledge the request unless your performance is outstanding - even then it is most likely still a no. The thought of staying with a company for 5 years with no annual salary increase or any type of reward for service means the company has a very high turnover of staff and leads to very little motivation for good staff to stay.Regional directors will happily lie to you just to keep you quiet as they do not care about staff welfare in the slightest.The company does not promote from within and is much happier hiring externally when the candidates have no optics background or knowledge and then gives no training or support, leaving other (much lower paid) members of staff to train newcomers.All staff are expected to go above and beyond for the company with nothing in return and if you say no to requests then you are singled out and treated unfairly.If you are -

Cons

Dont apply, you will regret it.

Long hours, poor wages and no support from head office. You won't have a social life with this job. At interviews they sell it to you like its amazing but once you start you will leave within 2 days. There is no staff support the company only cares about making money and paying you the minimum.

Pros

Your team and patients are lovely.

Cons

Long hours, constant traveling especially on your days off. No lunch breaks, cheap products used for patient's. No bonus

Worse job ever

I would not reccomend this job to anyone. They basically expect you to work 60+ hours a week travelling around the country, staying in hotels, not getting home until 10pm and then starting work at 7am the next day. There is no chance of payrise, they just expect you to work your back off and be grateful for a job. Head office is toxic, they will make up any excuse not to give you a payrise. They cut corners all the time, and I mean with everything. When you work out your salary it's less then minimum wage when you add up the 60+hours you do in travelling etc. THEY WILL EXPLOIT YOU AND EXPECT YOU TO BE THANKFUL FOR IT!!!!They are using the pandemic as excuse not to pay bonus anymore which was 1 small perk of the job, but boy did they make you work for it.If you have a family or any social life kiss goodbye to it because you will be permanently exhausted working here both mentally and physically.

Pros

None, and i am being nice.

Cons

Long hours, terrible pay, bullying culture, need i go on?

I have been working for optical express for nearly 3 years now and its very fun place of work, were I have got to work in different clinics alongside different teams. Were Sales focused and customer focus being the key element of the patient journey But now am in the main call centre in Glasgow were customer focus being the key element of the patient journey here as we are helping 😀 then on there way to being glasses free its a great team with lots of different people and personality which makes every day different.

Pros

shifts patterns, holidays, lunches as there a great restaurant

Cons

One late night a week and a bit of travel

Great team, positive management, nice surroundings

Entire team in the contact centre are supportive- if you are having any issues, you know that you can approach any of them who will be more than willing to help.Management are friendly, always have a minute to have a chat- very supportive if you are needing things like shift changes, particularly says off etc. Learning is very much on the job due to the clinical nature of the business, however departments like clinical services are always on hand to advise on any matters that you are uncertain about.Great modern facilties in the heart of Glasgow. Restaurant on the top floor is heavily subsidised, with weekly specials and food is always fresh.Overall, a stimulating and supportive place to work.Keep it up :)

Pros

Good work/life balance, good salary well above industry standard, supportive team.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Overworked, underpaid and unappreciated

Whilst I loved working for Optical Express at the beginning, I got decent training and good management slowly over time we became overworked and no advancement in career. If we do learn a new skill there’s no recognition or pay increase- it’s just expected of us. They recently removed the most amazing bonus scheme and gave us all a small pay increase which didn’t amount to anything close to what bonus we used to make. Then disguised it as a good thing. Nowadays our training is basically non existent and it slowly becomes a toxic work environment. You won’t last long if you know what’s best for you. There’s only so much a person can tolerate.

Pros

Travel and accommodation paid for, Get paid hours for travelling, Meals paid for if staying away from home, Overnight allowance, The patients are lovely and the staff /teams are lovely

Cons

No pay structure, no training, overworked, constantly busy lists, early starts equaled with long days, late to no lunch breaks, only 30 mins lunch break in one day even if you’re doing 10 + hour days, travelling is extreme

Great staff at lower level, terrible upper management

Had worked for Optical Express for a long time, staff in clinics were great and H/O support staff but the culture overall is terrible. No pay raises unless you try to leave not matter how hard you work. I liked the variety of work and the job in general but old stock and prices kept going up got harder and harder to sell when so many other stores offer better value, always told we were top quality !! Used covid to close clinics and get rid of staff, Miss the guys that worked in clinics but that’s about it. The type of company where if your face fits and you do things without question you’ll go far.

Pros

Store staff

Cons

Poor pay unless you fight, poor upper management, old products, they don’t care about clinic staff unless it’s laser

Horrific experience

The work environment here is nothing short of toxic. Management are a clique who create an "us and them" atmosphere. For parts of the day they have us play a game of not being allowed to sit down unless we are selling. They literally dictate when we are allowed to sit. The company has become more and more dodgy since covid because they still put targets above all else including their patients. The slightest mistake is treated with formal punishment. At first I thought it was just my age and inexperience that made me dislike these things. But other advisors who are much older than me advised this is not the normal and far worse than any place they have e er worked. Stay away.

Toxic workplace

Horrible working environment with a clique mentality. Owner rules the business with fear. For a healthcare provider all they are interested in is making money from patients. The pressure on the store mangers from head office is shocking. I would advise anyone to steer clear.

Terrible environment and stressful

The worst employment experience of my life. Even before covid it was highly stressful with hitting targets and there is constant pressure on all advisors. It's become even more pressured since. We are constantly given into trouble for not booking enough appointments even though with lockdown and people being afraid of covid, people are understandably afraid to book at the moment. That doesn't matter to management as they are only interested in the business. When we get call feedback it is in a condescending way. There is constant fear of losing out jobs if we don't perform and the stress is terrible. Management is people who have been lucky to be promoted because they've been there for a while and know they'll never do any better.

Pros

Genuinely none

Cons

Awful management

Unequal pay

Very unprofessional working environment. Some amazing individuals (the Manchester manager is amazing and she could do much better), but the majority of management in head office are very unkind, expect the world, and offer nothing in return. This job involves endless travel, you're constantly in hotels, hardly ever at home. The pay structure is completely unequal. When I found out that a less qualified man was earning more than me, I took it up with HR. They couldn't care less, so I literally had to take them to court for pay discrimination. Pay-rises do not exist in Optical Express. Whatever pay you negotiate is what you'll be on until you leave.

Pros

I'm sorry to say, there is none.

Cons

Unequal pay, cruel head office management, unprofessional store staff.

Very poor management from Head Office.

Head Office Management showed little or no understanding of how our particular clinic functioned. All they were interested in was how much money was taken which, given the fact they have a World Class product, should not have been the number one priority. Made to feel like a 'HIGH PRESSURE SECOND HAND CAR SALESMAN' and if you did not reach targets then bye bye OE.Gave little thought to organisational matters, especially with regard to travel (cover of other clinics, meetings etc). Sometimes had to question if HQ even knew where our particular clinic was.I believe that OE have too many clinics over too large an area and do not have the correct management expertise to run them successfully.

Pros

Good product

Cons

Poor Management from Head Office. Constant pressure to sell!

Just Don't!

A shambles of a company. Lack of respect, leadership and forward planning. Doesn't foster a culture of trust. Too many ego's bumping in to each other and a lot of nepotism. No balance or boundaries and no consistency. The head is disillusioned if it thinks it knows what the feet are doing. Not a nice working culture across any of the stores I visited in my time. Staff bickering and narky emails. Tension between different departments, nobody working together. Lots of micro managers but not a lot of leadership. A few people in this company go against the grain - a shame they deserve better. This is a throw money at you company, but you sell your soul for it.

Worst Job I've ever had

At first they entice you in with bonus until you realise that its completely unrealistic to achieve. You are monitored on the length you take to go to the toilet, recieve a 30 minute lunch break. Constantly having your calls listened to and told no talking, at times they make you stand up as part of a "fun game" to encourage you to keep dialling. The management appear to be neds that simply worked there for so long they just happened to get a promotion. Its terrible. Unless you desperately need money and only plan on working there for 2 months or so avoid. Many people are sexist and bullies its genuinely a horrible environment to work in and made people leave with stress. This is the head office in glasgow.

Pros

Cons

Toxic environment, bullies, threat of being sacked, stress, brain dead job, difficult job.

Dreadful experience

In my 40 years of working I have never experienced such a bad manager. Attitude to staff was abysmal. Also talked about customers after they left shop. Bad language from her was also a big problem for me. Last straw was calling me an "f...ing nightmare" . My crime was losing my name badge. Also she made fun of the fact that I had a hearing disability..

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Worst job ever

One star is one too many. The immediate colleagues were great, but the management team does not care a bit about the staff. As a nurse, there is no career progression possible, because you are already too expensive. I worked with people who had been with Optical Express longer and earned less, so salary wise it is not worth it.

Pros

Cons

See above

Not a good company to work for

Worked there for 3 years the staff were lovely but the company is not good at all pay minimum wage even although you meet targets set still no review of wage. Do not care about their staff and more so their managers. They sack staff and managers for no reason.

Pros

Hours of work

Cons

Wage, area managers, unrealistic targets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optical Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6