Optical Express

United Kingdom151 reviews

Clear
2.7Pay & benefits

Awful is an understatment

Simply, the worst company I have ever worked for. Terrible work/life balance. Payroll was often messed up for myself and colleagues every month. Many false promises of commission/ commission structure changes constantly to lure you into a what is essentially a poorly paid job for the amount of work you have to do. Forced to work overtime for free, 30 mins breaks (if that). Terrible customer care. Very dodgy clinical practise by the company which racked me with guilt having to sell a product which often left patients worse off. Little to no training, just an overall awful company. You are also expected to go and work in other areas of the UK at the drop of a hat, usually with 1-2 days notice. Management assure that you can get petrol/parking back through expenses....good luck with that. When expenses were paid (every 2 weeks) it was often wrong leaving you out of pocket for a long time.

Pros

Interesting to work with skilled optoms

Cons

Everything!

Fantastic place to work, totally supported in my role

I highly recommend working for Optical Express. I have never felt more supported in a role or had a more helpful line manager or senior management team.I am a hospital manager and oversee both the clinic and surgery, it is a varied and interesting role.I enjoy ensuring our patients get the best possible care and that the team caring for them get all the support they need to succeed and progress.My salary is competitive and bonus is achievable.From recruitment to promotion to my current role, I can not fault the process.If you are thinking of applying for a role at Optical Express go for it you won't be disappointed.

Insights into Optical Express

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Worst company I have ever worked for

This company does not care for staff or patients. They say they are trying to get away from the "sales" aspect of the business but do very little to actually achieve this. A lot of patients give feedback that as soon as the company has your money they no longer care about the rest of the patient journey, which is frustrating when most of the staff (optometrists, patient advisors and clinic managers) try their best to care for their patients but to no avail, as everything is micro managed and you can't do anything to help. It is the first company I have worked for that doesn't give an annual pay increase based on, at the very least, the increase of living. You have to fight tooth and nail for one and they won't even acknowledge the request unless your performance is outstanding - even then it is most likely still a no. The thought of staying with a company for 5 years with no annual salary increase or any type of reward for service means the company has a very high turnover of staff and leads to very little motivation for good staff to stay.Regional directors will happily lie to you just to keep you quiet as they do not care about staff welfare in the slightest.The company does not promote from within and is much happier hiring externally when the candidates have no optics background or knowledge and then gives no training or support, leaving other (much lower paid) members of staff to train newcomers.All staff are expected to go above and beyond for the company with nothing in return and if you say no to requests then you are singled out and treated unfairly.If you are -

Cons

Dont apply, you will regret it.

Long hours, poor wages and no support from head office. You won't have a social life with this job. At interviews they sell it to you like its amazing but once you start you will leave within 2 days. There is no staff support the company only cares about making money and paying you the minimum.

Pros

Your team and patients are lovely.

Cons

Long hours, constant traveling especially on your days off. No lunch breaks, cheap products used for patient's. No bonus

Worse job ever

I would not reccomend this job to anyone. They basically expect you to work 60+ hours a week travelling around the country, staying in hotels, not getting home until 10pm and then starting work at 7am the next day. There is no chance of payrise, they just expect you to work your back off and be grateful for a job. Head office is toxic, they will make up any excuse not to give you a payrise. They cut corners all the time, and I mean with everything. When you work out your salary it's less then minimum wage when you add up the 60+hours you do in travelling etc. THEY WILL EXPLOIT YOU AND EXPECT YOU TO BE THANKFUL FOR IT!!!!They are using the pandemic as excuse not to pay bonus anymore which was 1 small perk of the job, but boy did they make you work for it.If you have a family or any social life kiss goodbye to it because you will be permanently exhausted working here both mentally and physically.

Pros

None, and i am being nice.

Cons

Long hours, terrible pay, bullying culture, need i go on?

Great team, positive management, nice surroundings

Entire team in the contact centre are supportive- if you are having any issues, you know that you can approach any of them who will be more than willing to help.Management are friendly, always have a minute to have a chat- very supportive if you are needing things like shift changes, particularly says off etc. Learning is very much on the job due to the clinical nature of the business, however departments like clinical services are always on hand to advise on any matters that you are uncertain about.Great modern facilties in the heart of Glasgow. Restaurant on the top floor is heavily subsidised, with weekly specials and food is always fresh.Overall, a stimulating and supportive place to work.Keep it up :)

Pros

Good work/life balance, good salary well above industry standard, supportive team.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Overworked, underpaid and unappreciated

Whilst I loved working for Optical Express at the beginning, I got decent training and good management slowly over time we became overworked and no advancement in career. If we do learn a new skill there’s no recognition or pay increase- it’s just expected of us. They recently removed the most amazing bonus scheme and gave us all a small pay increase which didn’t amount to anything close to what bonus we used to make. Then disguised it as a good thing. Nowadays our training is basically non existent and it slowly becomes a toxic work environment. You won’t last long if you know what’s best for you. There’s only so much a person can tolerate.

Pros

Travel and accommodation paid for, Get paid hours for travelling, Meals paid for if staying away from home, Overnight allowance, The patients are lovely and the staff /teams are lovely

Cons

No pay structure, no training, overworked, constantly busy lists, early starts equaled with long days, late to no lunch breaks, only 30 mins lunch break in one day even if you’re doing 10 + hour days, travelling is extreme

Great staff at lower level, terrible upper management

Had worked for Optical Express for a long time, staff in clinics were great and H/O support staff but the culture overall is terrible. No pay raises unless you try to leave not matter how hard you work. I liked the variety of work and the job in general but old stock and prices kept going up got harder and harder to sell when so many other stores offer better value, always told we were top quality !! Used covid to close clinics and get rid of staff, Miss the guys that worked in clinics but that’s about it. The type of company where if your face fits and you do things without question you’ll go far.

Pros

Store staff

Cons

Poor pay unless you fight, poor upper management, old products, they don’t care about clinic staff unless it’s laser

Worst job ever

One star is one too many. The immediate colleagues were great, but the management team does not care a bit about the staff. As a nurse, there is no career progression possible, because you are already too expensive. I worked with people who had been with Optical Express longer and earned less, so salary wise it is not worth it.

Pros

Cons

See above

Not a good company to work for

Worked there for 3 years the staff were lovely but the company is not good at all pay minimum wage even although you meet targets set still no review of wage. Do not care about their staff and more so their managers. They sack staff and managers for no reason.

Pros

Hours of work

Cons

Wage, area managers, unrealistic targets

Not a good company to work

Optical is a money orientated, they don’t look after there staff. The salary is average but their expectation with the staff is so high. I won’t recommend this company to any body.

My Experience

Optical Express DO NOT look after staff, long term or not. The staff turnover is an absolute joke because of this and there's always a time where someone doesn't know what the're doing or patients don't feel confident with there service because they have to be dealt with by people that don't know the patients or how to do their job. This also relates to management, which has been a continuous problem and have drove staff out. If you love your job you'll work hard by nature, but once you're seen working yourself out once, you're then expected to do this again as standard or pay and benefits which aren't great are used against you, even though the pay is a joke. Not to mention that because everyone is always leaving and management are always sick, that you have to cover shifts and work extra days with hardly any notice. Management always get away with being ill or having children and needing to be with them. My experience when i first started to mid-way through my career was very different and had belief that it would be a long-term career, but now it's gone completely downhill i couldn't think of a worse job.

Don’t bother

worst job ever in my life. Don’t make same mistake I made. If I was offered double salary I would still say no. You start 7:30 and finish around 6:30pm and contracted 7.5 hours a day.

face paced ver busy

was a great company with a scope to step up however not satisfied with the financial benefits and culture sometimes. There is no loyalty as i feel nothings accountable and acknowledged for the hard work.

Pros

good team

Stuck Up

Easy work & easy money if you can get past their bs and lack of humour... anyone working here isn’t worth the time to try and get along with (EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES!!! Very rude aswell)

Pros

Commission

Cons

Staff

Not very well led

At my time there I was required to work 60+ hours a week for a 40 hour contract with no overtime paid or time back. This was required as I was store manager and we didn’t have the staff to cover or the labour budget to recruit

Pros

Nice office/clinic atmosphere

Cons

Everything else

poor

initial promises of development and progression along with an initial of a good salary that is revoked on employment. Lack of managerial support and a culture of negativity led from director down through all levels of management

Pros

Cons

long hours, poor support, poor management

Great Company

I have been working at the company for over a year. The company as a whole is fantastic and value their staff and show this through the bonus we get monthly as well as free event tickets to the SSE Hydro events. The company also notices and praises its employees through Wonderful Wednesday awards, Overall the management are great and help you the best the can and your options to progress within the company are great. I have learned may things throughout my time with OE.

ok work place

good place to work for a short amount of time, always great learning new skills & how making new friends, would recommend starting part time rather than full

Lovely working enviroment

Flexible working hours in an amazing working environment. Great restaurant within building with subsidised charges for staff. Good IT systems and equipment.

Pros

clean enviroment

Cons

poor payment of earned of bonuses

Cowboy outfit

Not good not good not good. They are willing for you to run yourself into the ground for pennies. Pants utter pants I have nothing else to say

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optical Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Optical Express with

• Optical Express
  • Pay & benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?