Optimax Laser Eye

United Kingdom24 reviews

Fantastic and supportive employers

Featured review

Optimax Laser Eye selected this as a representative review
I thoroughly recommend Optimax - having lasered my eyes, I was so impressed with their quality and kudos that I was then overjoyed to work for them.

Pros

Approachable, caring and supportive senior management team as well as line management, Good overtime opportunities and pay rates, A health benefits scheme, Friends & family discount for treatment.

Cons

Can honestly not state any.

I rate it a 0.

Avoid if you want your mental health. Management are very rude and lazy. No support and treat you rubbish. They bully their staff and even shout at you. They don't care about your wellbeing and pay isn't worth it.

Pros

Cons

Going Home

Insights into Optimax Laser Eye

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Excellent Company

Excellent work environment, great work life balance. Offers outstanding patient care as well as lots of employee benefits such as healthcare, bonus structure and yearly salary reviews. There is a great support from the management team

Pros

Work life balance, Time in Lieu, Healthcare, Bonus

Cons

Poor HR department

Flexible Workplace

A good company to work for if you put the effort into your role. Management are all very friendly and have been with the company for many years. My line manager is great and has a very flexible approach to working. I would recommend Optimax as an employer. I enjoy my work that I do.

Poor

Upper management only value and support you if "your face fits". They overwork their staff, pay below average salary and expect you to beat impossible targets. Thankfully my particular job role wasn't like this but for 70% of staff, who work in the actual clinics, this is what it is like. On a treatment day they expect 2 staff members to assist the surgeon, run reception, and to not moan and go and cover other clinics all over the country. There is 0 life work balance for some staff. The owner and CEO are both blind to trying to encourage positive mental health and are not tolerable of mental ill health. They will try and push staff out who they don't like rather than offer support and encouragement and development. If your face doesn't fit, you won't progress within the company, but you'll still be expected to go above and beyond. Certain staff members get away with speaking to staff rudely and condescendingly all because it's less hassle to replace staff. They also would rather add to people's current workload with no extra pay than hire and take time to train new staff. The only part I enjoyed was the handful of staff I got on well with, and the freedom I was given in my job role.

Pros

My line manager and a few staff members were really nice

Cons

See review

The best company I’ve worked for.

I worked for this company 7 years ago and they are hands down the best company I’ve worked for and I’ve worked for some horror companies since. Management was top notch which makes the world of difference! Supportive and friendly! Bonus scheme was by far the best I’ve ever come across! I used to travel to other sites to help out and all the staff at the various sites were great!

Pros

Expenses paid, great management, bonus

Cons

Honestly can’t really think of any!

Optimax is a great place to work

i have really learnt a lot working for Optimax, the team are amazing and have really made me feel welcome.The job is very interesting, and i absolutely enjoy it. Some days can be challenging but that is because i am still learning a lot of new things.What i enjoy the most about my job is working with my new work family, who are a pleasure to be around, i have a great mentor who works really hard with me to help me understand the process of the job.

Totally sales driven

The job is a sales job, advertised as a patient counsellor role. Upper management literally only care about money and they will stop caring about patients once surgery is completed. Individual clinic managers can be great, as can colleagues but thats as far as it goes. You work to a target and are pressured into getting people to go ahead with surgery who do not want it.

Pros

Free surgery

Cons

Minimum wage and bonus only for selling more surgery

Positive work environment

I've worked for the company over 15 years, clearly demonstrating a stable workplace with good opportunities to develop. Like all jobs you need to show commitment and place the company objectives first, this will allow good career development. The roles within the company are very varied and inter-department communication is strong.The company is open, flexible and fast moving to both business and personal needs.

Pros

Flexibility in working patterns, varied job roles, expenses paid, travel opportunities.

Excellent Healthcare Environment

I've now worked for Optimax for 10 years. Since my first day working for this company, we have always put patient wellbeing at the forefront of everything we do. We have a relaxed atmosphere in our clinics which we hope helps the patient journey. Everyone knows everyone and communication channels are open to all.

Pros

Time back, uniform, travel expenses, progression.

Cons

Long hours on treatment days.

Easy going place to work

I only joined the company in March 2020 just before lockdown as a Patient Advisor. Since being back in June I have learnt so much about the company and myself that I had the confidence to apply for position as a registered clinic manger in a London clinic. I have secured that position but would not have succeeded without all the support from my colleagues from right across the company. As long as you are willing to put in the effort it really does not go unnoticed. One of my reasons for joining Optimax was the possibility of progression and I am proof that this really does happen and can happen very quickly.

Pros

Nice people to work with, free treatment (which I have taken advantage of)

Opportunity to learn and Grow

A position in this company will give you endless opportunities to learn and grow both your skills and career. The management from clinic level to senior team will recognise hard work and reward you for it. Compared to competitors in the industry, the company is far more patient focused compared to sales focused which gives employees a fantastic feeling, we really do make a difference to many peoples lives through vision! As an employee, the greatest benefit of working for Optimax / Eye Hospitals group is that you are given the chance to grow and take on more challenges, as long as you earn it.

Pros

Rewarding: patient focused

Busy and thriving workplace

There is continuous scope for learning more and implementing that knowledge to succeed within the company. I feel confident within my role each day due to the support and guidance around me and enjoy being a part of the company success.

Long term rewarding

It's a national company, but small enough to feel that everyone matters. The senior management are all long-serving, dedicated and caring. It's not hard to make a name for yourself if you put the work in and look for the opportunities. I started as an inexperienced admin assistant and I am now head of my department, having gained my professional qualifications and a degree with support from the company. One colleague went from assistant to clinic manager within a year of starting, and despite a period of furlough in between.

Pros

The people are great. Also, free/discounted treatments for employees and their friends/families.

Cons

Long hours (in present role)

Fun and rewarding

Life at Optimax is busy, productive and rewarding. There is career progression for those that want it. The staff across the Company are fun, helpful and conscientious. Management are all very experienced in the industry which makes decision making very quick and efficient.I have worked in various other Companies across the industry, but this is where I feel at home.

Pros

Lovely working environment, staff discounts/free treatments, will actually give you back your 'time-in-lieu'.

Cons

None I can think of right now...

Professional supportive stimulating

Excellent initial training and ongoing support. Professional, sales orientated but always putting patients interests first. …………………………………………………………………………………………...

Productive, family culture work environment

Great place to work for, really grew in the company and created a good foundation for myself to progress in my employment career with patient care. Staff are brilliant and really nice to work with, a very comfortable atmosphere.

Poor salary

Hard workers not rewarded with any benefits. Financial Director very out of touch and insensitive towards all workers. Other colleagues very nice to work with. Hardest part of the job would be meeting deadlines in the little time allocated. Most enjoyable part of the job would be working in a team to achieve results.

Pros

Work Colleagues

Cons

Financial Director

Work Balance was very up and down

There were times when the amount of work was sufficient but too much free time in between. I felt like I was unable to keep busy and being on an Apprenticeship wage the salary wasn't worth the work and hassle of commuting through public transport.

Pros

Learnt a lot for IT work.

Cons

Not enough work to do.

fun

Good cheerful place to work, get to know about how you can benefit from having laser eye surgery. Watch laser surgery and learn customer service skills

Pros

free laser surgery for staff

Cons

not all people are suitable for laser surgery

Good workplace but no rewards

The job is good and there is a lot to learn, with friendly colleagues, but the management are not helpful, supportive, flexible nor value any of the workers.

Pros

Good colleagues

Cons

Unsupportive management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optimax Laser Eye. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement