Ottolenghi logo
Ottolenghi

Ottolenghi Employee Reviews

Opportunities

Fast paced kitchens with demanding customers and busy days and evenings. It's a hard kitchen to work in but if commitment and passion is shown the company with be on the first line to help support and promote. Great place to express creativity and exchange ideas. The owners and head chefs always encourage every one in the company (waiters, kitchen porters and chefs, ...) the get hands on a new recipe idea.

Fast paced, intense but rewarding

Innovative companyInvest in their staffOne of the best hospitality jobs in the businessLots of opportunities for development and growthJob perksHigh standards

Pros

Free staff food, Proper scheduling, excellent service charge, lots of job perks, lots of training, career advancement

Cons

Very intense, busy shifts, high standards that are not for everyone, chefs

It's FINE for hospitality.

Can't trust the management or your colleages, people culture is sneaky here. Matters aren't dealt with correctly, lots of bias amongst management and staff, SUPER COCKEY crowd of people is the culture need. Nobody is supportive and everyone gossips dangerously. Pay is decent for the job, but management don't know what they're doing so they make your job double as hard instead of easier.

Bad culture

Not well managed. Lots of staff turn over and not a lot invested in back of house making work more difficult. Staff moves from site to site often. Wages very poor for industry.

Pros

Well known company

Cons

Pay

Productive And good companions

Always arrive on time and tried to always help my coworkers. I had help from my colleagues, they helped me improve and understand better what it was like to work in a restaurant

Best hospitality company to work for in London!

If you: - love hospitality - are genuinely interested in food and drinks - have great personality - have solid experience - are a happy person the company and management will take care of you. Yes, work can be hard but you will be appreciated and looked after, as it is important that you have healthy and happy work life balance. I would highly recommended Ottolenghi to anyone who wants to challenge themselves, work with great people, earn good money and have nice benefits.

Pros

discounts, wine classes, company parties, any courses paid for that are relevant to your role

Productive and fun workplace

I can recommend that company, I really like that place

Pros

Free Lunches

perfect job in hospitality

management takes care of their staff, everyone is working hard all together. amazing team. the hardest part of the job is to get into the system as it is important to keep a good high standard. Love it tho!

Pros

50% discount on dining in in other branches

Cons

late hours

Amazing company to work for

First job in the UK. Staff are so friendly, management team were well organised, and great culture to work on. When the owner is at presence, always have a good chat about yourself, work etc. It was fun, energetic and enjoyable working at Ottolenghi!

terrible management, good money

Good training opportunities, good pay due to service charge scheme. Lots of team work and dynamic environment. Mediocre staff food but get discount on dinners and opportunities to try different products in training sessions. Upper management not attentive nor empathetic with staff, they would assign un-requested extra shifts and expect staff to comply. In many occasions worked for over 10-12 days in a row without any breaks. Disregard for work-life balance from managers. Managers would also not respect holiday requests and interrogate over sick days in a disrespectful manner. Worked there for one year and half. Would not do it again.

Pros

discount of foods, training opportunities

Cons

no balance, bad management

Great place but management was selfish

I loved working in a fast-paced, well-organised institution with amazing food and cocktails. The overseer was an absolute stickler, which I understand is necessary to run a place like Ottolenghi but I found working such long hours and late nights hugely taxing on my wellbeing. I would often be assigned 4 doubles in a week until closing time because the team had to make up for other employees on holiday. I felt like the staff were stretched out too thin and many of my collegues (including myself) had reached breaking point. It is really such a shame that it had to be that way. If the staff are not 100% rested happy, how can they keep customers happy?

Pros

free lunches, great pay, after work drink

Cons

taxing hours, extremely laborious

Great opportunity to learn

Long days but the food is really great and everything is made from scratch. Lots of opportunities for someone who's passionate about food and wants to learn. It calls for full devotion thou.

hard working but worth it

such a good company to work for. they look after staff well and staff party and reward every year. extremely busy environment and fast pace place. working that company nearly 6years after that I don't really learning or improve myself.

Pros

staff meal. staff party

Cons

split shift

active and fun

hard work, international co-workers, long hours, short breaks, good management, busy weekends, good location, avarage staff food, fun environment, good music

Pros

flexible day offs

Cons

weekend work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottolenghi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3Job security/advancement