Out Of Bounds

Out Of Bounds Employee Reviews

Flexible working hours but poor management

Working on a zero hours contract meant that the working hours were flexible, however often had too many or too little staff on at any one time. Given this, colleagues were welcoming and they, in particular, gave way for a pleasant workforce.

Pleasant Owners, Lots of Staff Change

I worked at Out of Bounds for a relatively long period, I found the owners to be pleasant and always happy to assist, working the tills in busy periods and happy to listen to issues throughout the team, right up until I left. The downside is due to the fast paced environment, it does not suit all management styles which leads to a high turnover of managers, this can be unsettling for staff and create occasional divides in the team. There was also a lot of young staff members which did create occasional drama and disagreements.I learnt very valuable life skills throughout this job, I came on leaps and bounds with my confidence and met some friends for life. I would recommend working here if you are a young, driven and outgoing individual, wanting customer facing experience or wanting to work in the leisure field. The hours can be long, as they typically are in leisure, but I found the pay to be fair and for the most part I enjoyed the atmosphere.

Pros

Supportive Owners, Great customer facing experience

Cons

Changes in staff and structure can be unsettling.

Worst mistake of my career don’t do it

The team are fantastic and even under pressure try their best to ensure the customer does not suffer. However the owner is a joke they watch you on cctv 24/7 and if they see the team getting along they think something untoward is happening and the job is not being done. This is quite the opposite infact they have lost some amazing people through their insecurities and lack of trust and not letting people do the job they were employed for. It’s such a shame because if the owners stepped back and trusted they could have had one amazing team

Pros

The team not including the owners

Cons

Not being allowed to do the job you were employed for unless it was done their way

Fantastic Team Members and Owners

Fantastic, forward thinking company, well looked after and always investment from owners into the company to maintain fantastic activities. the staff are always willing to work hard and give the best service. the atmosphere when fully up and running is a thriving place to work, it is a fast paced business with continued investment, the management team are always available.

You’re just a worker

I previously worked for our of bounds for 2 years when I first began it was a lovely first job everyone was lovely and I enjoyed learning new things. However, soon it turned sour going through multiple managers and people leaving left right and centre. From the start o was warned about the management and how they are scary and don’t care for the people who work for them (the young 16-18 year olds) nothing you would do would be recognised unless a firm favourite of all managers and you were paid bare minimum for the worn you did. I was trained on almost everything at our of bounds and delivered it to a high standard I also learnt the cafe and wasn’t once given a pay rise until I legally had to have one. Then they would employ new staff who were 1/2 years younger and have them start on a higher salary. Disgusting. So much over time and many staff on 0 hour contracts and sent home after an hour of their shift if it wasn’t busy enough. Also not to mention the cameras watching your every move even when on break. Due to this many employees would take themselves to their cars to eat lunch just to have half an hour in peace (unpaid as well).

Cons

Long hours, Expensive food, awful pay, favouritism, cameras everywhere including the staff room

friendly place to work

I feel some of the past reviews are a bit harsh!! here is my experience of working at out of bounds. The team can be young but everyone who works here is relaxed, easy to get along with and capable of doing their jobs (we received training) most of them are students but this works for them being at college or uni. The pay is good compared to other companies locally. After all way apply for a job here knowing the pay and the job disruption only to leave and complain that the pay was poor? the owners are far from greedy, if something is broken or needs replacing, they will spend the money, they jump on a till and help if on site, they might question why there is a payment error on a booking! but I cannot see any fault in an owner who cares about their business!! the Management? they use an app for communicating with staff, it is also used to send out the rota. this is a good system as I felt kept in the loop about events and other bits of information like covid rules (never seen this in the workplace before) they are open to suggestions, the operations manager is welcoming (his door is always open if you need to chat to him about something)If you are not sure this is the place for you then make the effort and visit the place. I enjoyed working here

Pros

free parking, uniform, use of the facilities, (more perks than pervious jobs that I have had), Good atmosphere, fun

Cons

it is a fast pasted environment, it has busy times and quite times.

Understaffed

The owners are greedy and don't care about their staff or customers. You will be expected to do the work of two people at least. Most of the staff will be very young as they can pay them so little. Management are too busy undermining each other to support the staff.

Pros

Cons

Stressful beyond belief.

Awful company

Certain staff members are absolutely amazing to work with others just stab you in the back. Recommend to applicants for the future don’t apply to work for this company as management is corrupt. You are expected to work understaffed often without your break and under pressure from the owners who are constantly watching you. Absolutely awful place.

Terrible place to work

An absolutely appalling place to work, have no respect for the employees at all, if your under 18 and looking for a job don’t what they do is they employee people who are 16-17 years old so then they can pay them the absolute minimum wage then as soon as they are near to Turing 18 they will let them go with nearly no notice or find a stupid reason to fire them, and then just bring in a load of more teens to replace them with. Also the management is terrible don’t get me wrong there are some nice people who work there but it’s just ran in such a stupid way

Horrible place to work

The young staff who work there are lovely people always kind and considerate, but the managers are very poor. They do not care for the young who work there, they exploit them as for many it’s their first job so know no different. The pay for what they are asked to do is poor and for many they are getting paid different amount and when they share their pay they end up being “dismissed” due to telling the truth. Eveyone is paid unfairly and not to their ability’s. I wouldn’t recommend working there to anyone!

Poorly run

Management is shocking. They don't know what they are doing or how to run a leisure centre. Rota is always out late and always changing in the week without notice and without anybody knowing. On a contract with set hours that are never met. Hours always taken off you and moaned at when you do over your hours but that's what they have put you on for the Rota. Management do not know how to treat/talk or look after their staff. Constantly putting staff down and never any praise. Far to negative and only care about making money. Not the right training and have to make the job up as you go. Staff not allowed to order food that they have pay for if it is busy The worst thing was they did not send off my forms for paternity so it was their fault I didn't get it. I heard a lot of bad things about working there before I did and refused to listen. I wish I had listened. Without a doubt the worst management I have worked for. In your interview they sell the job very well and they you it's one thing but it's not. Make sure you ask the right questions because they won't tell you the truth

Pros

Cons

Very poor management

Part time employment

Good to work for, gave me experience in many different fields. I got to take leadership whilst always working as a team which I enjoyed. Working during both peak and off peak times.

Flexible, supportive company

Really flexible with hours for students. Allowed me to go off to university and come back and work during the holidays. Good atmosphere and a fun, but busy, place to be.

Great place ruined by shocking management

A lovely facility, great young team but all ruined by the management team who will talk to you in a constantly negative, berating way. Instead of helping and mentoring their new staff they will start to look for ways to push you out. I would advise anyone who is looking to join OOB to speak with some older members of staff to try and understand why their staff turnover is so bad. There is no job security. They are not interested in training and nurturing good members of staff, they believe in an old fashioned ‘manage through fear’ approach. Until the management take a good look at themselves they will keep losing great members of staff!

Pros

Nice facilities

Cons

No set shift pattern, late out of work all the time with no thanks, appalling management, no training.

The worse place to work

If you are thinking of working for this company.... DONT! This company is terribley run, by 2 owners with no idea how to run a leisure Business or how to treat people! You are made to stay late (unpaid) every night to cash up. Expected to work over 12 hours with a 30 minute Break, usually after 8 hours of work. Awful rota and shift patten. Policies and procedures changed weekly with no training or explanation and nothing is thought though. By far the worse place I have ever worked. Staff are told they are working then on the day or during the shift told to go home!

Pros

Free bowling?

Cons

Bad pay, long hours, no support, bad owners

Highly Stressful and Poor management

The actual job itself is relatively easy and with a wide range of activity at the center there's always something different to do every day, however this is ruined by the appalling management and mistreatment of staff. Before applying for this role i would highly recommend going in and speaking to the experienced members of staff about what its like to work there.

Pros

Free use of everything in the center (bowling, climbing, golf)

Cons

Poor wage, poor management, poor treatment of staff

Great to start out at

Out of Bounds is a great company to work with especially if it is your first job. Its not for the faint hearted and you have to love being on your feet. A typical day would consist of Till Work, over-seeing the soft play area, running climbing sessions, hosting parties and helping to keep the place clean and tidy. The hardest part of the job for me when I first started was having to clean up bodily fluids - which there is a lot of in that kind of environment but now I would say the hardest part is being able to remain completely calm and confident, especially during the busier periods where it can become quite manic

Pros

Free use of the facilities

Cons

Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Out Of Bounds. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1