OutsideClinic

OutsideClinic Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews

teamfriendlystaffpeoplelotcompanyenjoyplace

Very stressful

Our job is mostly commission based but it’s impossible to reach targets bc they don’t have enough work and even if you have a good month all your commission is taken away bc they have so many returns!!!

Pros

No weekends

Cons

difficult

3 January 2023
Thanks for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. There are many benefits that come with working for us in the domiciliary sector, such as making a difference to the lives of people who most need our help through our gold-standard hearing care and getting out and about than being stuck in the same room all day. But we do recognise that, despite all the benefits and rewards that come with a career at the forefront of domiciliary, there can be challenges and that it's not for everyone (after all, what job is?) Our Marketing Director is working hard to promote the OutsideClinic business so that we can see more customers in the areas where we need them. We see some areas fluctuate from time to time regarding customer retention for several reasons. However, we would like to discuss your concerns more, so we encourage you to speak to your line manager for a more detailed conversation.

Best Company in UK I have worked for so far

It was a massive win for me to get to work in this company. From recruitment stage, to interview to being promoted into a new role less than 6 months. Great manager, great people to work with and relaxed environment. Fab!

Insights into OutsideClinic

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

Interview Process

A friendly atmosphere with my screening (stage 1) and group interview (stage 2). Never felt as though I was under any pressure to answer all their questions, felt very relaxed. Looking forward to starting a new challenge working here at Outside Clinic.

3 January 2023
Thank you for your five-star review. It's great that you are excited about your new position at OutsideClinic. We are pleased that our recruitment and interviewing teams made you feel comfortable. They work hard to ensure that we have a streamlined recruitment process that makes candidates feel comfortable and relaxed while getting a natural feel for the business, the people and who we are. Congratulations on getting the position, and we are pleased to welcome you to the OutsideClinic team.

Still new to the role, but very glad I switched

I've only been with the company for 3.5months at time of writing, but will update if my opinions change.Very happy currently, glad I changed jobs, despite being happy in my last standard high street optom job too.I love having full control of everything from the initial tests to the dispense at the end. It gives me the confidence that everything is done the way I would want, and gives the patient the best service, as both you and them know why you're recommending what you're recommending, and that it is best for them.I enjoy the driving as it helps me feel more positive during my day to see some daylight, and gives me time to think between patients.I don't mind the physicality (carrying 3 bags) - they aren't too heavy, and the exercise feels more positive through the day compared with the typical 5m walk to the waiting room to collect the next patient.Equipment is great, and extensive to personal tastes, but it has been an adjustment no longer having a fixed slit lamp/volk.You won't have colleagues you're as particularly close to as we're mostly on our own, but there are always multiple people at the end of the phone if you need anything. Instead, you spend longer with patients (currently 1-2hr for me depending on need although this will decrease as I get faster) so you get to know them instead and any family members with them.I see 4-6 patients a day currently, but the end target is for 6-7. Work days are flexible to what you need (at least at the start), and no weekends.Average patient age is particularly high, as these are typically the more vulnerable or -

3 January 2023
Thank you for your five-star review and for giving great detail about what life is like for you as an OutsideClinic domiciliary optometrist. We are glad that you are enjoying the role. There are lots of benefits that come with working for us in the domiciliary sector, a lot of which you have mentioned, such as making a difference to the lives of people who most need our help, getting out and about rather than stuck in the same room all day, the benefits of seeing the test through from start to finish, the pathology that comes with our customer demographic making the job more exciting and of course the fantastic equipment that allows you to bring that crucial eye care to the homes of those that need it. We know that the job is not for everyone, but it is fantastic to see that it can be the perfect fit for some, like yourself.

fantastic place to work

I really enjoy my job I have always enjoyed optics,my work is very enjoyable i love meeting different people from all walks of life, people feel more relaxed in their own homes.I get plenty of support and advice from colleagues and my manager.nothing would tempt me back to store, my role is a lot less stressful,Sometimes locations you go to are quite hard to park, but the benefits far outweigh any issues that may arise.Having a company car is brilliant no fuel costs for work is a real bonus considering fuel costs at the momentOn the whole The Outside Clinic is a really great company to work for

Pros

company car, weekends off

3 January 2023
Thank you for your review - we appreciate your feedback and love to hear how much you enjoy your role as an optical assistant. Many people join us from in-store positions, eager to find something that has more variety, and OutsideClinic definitely offers that. Getting out and about, meeting people in their own homes, and hearing their stories are all parts of the job that our employees love. No-weekend work and the company car are bonuses too.

Great Place to Work!

Since I started my role in February, I have really enjoyed it- the team are all lovely and management are all very approachable. I love talking to people from all different walks of life and at the end of every call you really feel like you have helped and made a difference to help them.

Pros

Lovely team

Cons

Payday date

3 January 2023
Thank you for your review - we are pleased you enjoy your role within our Swindon Head Office. It's lovely that our Head Office departments all feel like one big family supporting our colleagues and extended family across England, Scotland and Wales. Thank you for your hard work and passion for helping those in need.

Amazing place to work

Fantastic company with a great culture. Staff members are always kept in the loop about company news and updates, which is nice as it shows inclusion throughout all levels of the company. From my experience everyone within the business is friendly and always happy to help. There is a real sense of team spirit throughout the whole business. Everything I could have hoped for and more when progressing in my career.

Pros

Great Culture

3 January 2023
Thank you for your five-star review. We have been working hard to improve internal communication over the last 12 months, so we are glad that this is getting noticed and that you feel in the loop about company news and updates.

A lot of driving but gives you a satisfactory feeling for helping people.

This role involves a lot of driving. Finding parking can be a challenge. I like visiting people in their environment and making a helpfull difference in their life. Most people are elderly and really appreciate the visits and help with glasses.

Pros

Helping people, hours to fit around my life, visiting different places.

Cons

A lot of driving

3 January 2023
Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that you're enjoying your role and the benefits it brings, like making a difference in people's lives. Our team of optometrists delivered a record 85,000 clinics in customers' homes in the first half of 2022, and research indicates that 2.7 million people in the UK would benefit from domiciliary eye care. As the UK's biggest domiciliary eye care provider, we are on a mission to ensure that no one – especially those most in need- are left behind. And it's the WHOLE OutsideClinic that makes that difference to those people's lives. So, while it can be quite hard with the driving and parking at times, please remember that you're making a real difference in their lives and improving their quality of life. Please also remember that our Scheduling department is always available to help with parking queries, so always feel free to call them for advice.

Productive and fun work place

Excellent place to work everyone is super friendly and makes you feel welcome I have had no problems what so ever the recruitment was very easy and they even followed up with me prop to starting just to say don’t be nervous everyone’s lovely and looking forward to meeting me

3 January 2023
Thank you for your five-star review – we are glad you had a great experience with our onboarding process by the recruitment team. The small in-house department strives to make every new employee feel comfortable and relaxed about starting their exciting new opportunity at OutsideClinic. We are glad you have experienced that first-hand – it's a great way to start a new chapter.

Demanding but steady work life

Working at the outside clinic is a busy and demanding role with a very elderly patient base and high clinical and reporting standards that must be adhered to at all times. The outside clinic do genuinely treat audiologists as clinicians, pay very reasonable salaries and they have an excellent well established senior management team.

3 January 2023
Thanks so much for your five-star review. It's great to hear that you feel valued. Research indicates a record 2.7 million people in the UK would benefit from domiciliary eye and hearing care. As the UK's biggest eye and hearing care provider, we aim to ensure that no one - especially those most in need - are left behind. And it's yourself and the rest of the OutsideClinic team that makes that difference in those people's lives. We know that the job can sometimes be demanding, but please remember that your work is highly valued and appreciated.

Respected and valued

Not being stuck in one place, being out and about and meeting lots of different people and cultures makes this job exciting. No two days are the same and helping new starters to achieve their potential is rewarding as well as helping folks who cannot access High Street services have a great experience.Also, getting weekends to yourself is fantastic.Having your thoughts and ideas valued and not being micromanaged is also a big bonus.

Pros

Feeling valued and respected. Helping others succeed

Cons

Can be long days and lots of driving

3 January 2023
Thanks for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. There are lots of benefits that come with working for us in the domiciliary sector, such as being able to make a difference to the lives of people who most need our help through our gold standard eye and hearing care and getting out and about rather than being stuck in the same room all day. It's great too that you've cited a further two benefits of having no two days the same as you meet new and extraordinary people and no weekend work.

challenging and enjoyable

it can be a lot of driving to different areas and new places and some local areas visiting different people feeling like your making a difference to peoples lives.each appointment is different it could be delivering glasses fixing them or just advice.its a great way to spend time with those who are unable to get out,

Pros

company car

Cons

long distances to drive

3 January 2023
Thank you for your five-star review. Many people who have joined us have said that the best part of the job is the people they get to meet, the stories they hear and the glimpse into people's extraordinary lives. It's the best part of domiciliary care, along with making a difference to their quality of life and getting out and about rather than being stuck in the same room all day. It's great to see that you have mentioned the company car also, which is a great benefit of joining us.

I love it but it's not for everyone.

I am a home visiting Dispensing Optician and I've been with the company over six years. I love the job I drive around visiting patients in their home and sorting out problems with their spectacles. I travel a lot of miles most days but the car is comfortable and I enjoy driving! You have to like driving! I spend more hours in the car than I do dealing with the patients but the people I visit are, mostly, very grateful for the service. The daily schedules are all pre-arranged and pre-mapped by the head office staff who do a great job and always there to help.

Pros

Company car, helpful head office staff.

Cons

Not had a pay review since starting

3 January 2023
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to give feedback and your gratitude towards the scheduling department in our Swindon head office. The fact that this dedicated team can pre-arrange and pre-map all the schedules is a huge advantage. We know that the job can involve a lot of driving (depending on your location), and the teams at the head office do all they can to minimise the in-between driving. And it's also a benefit to have a fully-electric vehicle to keep you comfortable between those patient visits.

Great that you work alone and travelling, company car n fuel card a bonus, but money was never great

I enjoyed working here though the experience was slightly tarnished as money was not great, company car was a bonus as was fuel card, loved the people. If you like long drives then this is for you. You are always on the road, so think carefully if this is for you.I enjoyed it as I like my own company and love driving, you get to see some beautiful views depending on where you are based etc. Considering the amount of time on the road lunch should be 30 mins

Pros

Company car and fuel card

Cons

Getting home late

On the up

There's ups and downs of course but I've had some great opportunities for progression that I haven't had elsewhere. The management is approachable and open to change. The workload can get intense but there's a good culture of team work and pulling together to get through it. For the most part the days are enjoyable and without stress. There's still room for improvement across the board but things are changing for the positive and it'll be great to see where things go.

Pros

Working with a great bunch of people

Cons

Some of the processes seem a bit behind the times

Avoid

Miserable place to work. Management are awful. Work is repetitive. You don’t get paid any extra or get time off in lieu if you get stuck on a call and end up leaving late. If you have an appointment during working hours you have to show them proof and then you have to use your annual leave entitlement to go to your appointment. I urge you to look elsewhere! The elderly are taken for a ride by opticians who are on commission.

Pros

Discounts on expensive glasses.

Cons

Dull, repetitive work and miserable place.

20 May 2021
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your experience at OutsideClinic. We value all our current and former employees and wouldn't want anyone to feel this way. Please feel free to contact HR to discuss anytime. We wish you the best in the future.

I’ve landed on my feet

Outside Clinic are honestly the best employers I've had in my whole career. I hope that I am able to grow in this company and stay here for many years to come.Work is such a relaxing environment and feels stress free, Management are so lovely and provide so much support it is honestly the best way to manage people. I feel I can tell them anything without them judging me or putting my personal life against my work.I was previously made redundant by my previous employer and comparing the two. Outside Clinic took me on straight after being made redundant as they see my potential that my other employer refused to see.All my colleagues are lovely and feels like our team is a family and we all work hard together.Yes there are busy days than other but we still can get our work done without feeling stressed. Working in this role there are going to be alot of customers who are mainly elderly and sometimes the stories they tell us can be heartbreaking and some that are absolutely lovely to hear. I find that's one of the hardest parts seeing how much the elderly go through as they get older.I would honestly recommend this job to anyone who has a passion for customer service and want to feel like they are helping the elderly. Eyes and hearing are so important and I have learnt this going into this role from a label printing and animal background.If you want to go into a role where you want to be happy to come to work on a daily basis and feel like you can make an impact. Come to Outside Clinic.

Pros

Amazing Management team/Style, Generous Break allowance, Good Holiday, Great Benefits, Family environment, Support behind you

Cons

N/a

4 May 2021
Thank you for the 5* star review. We are so pleased that you are happy to come to work every day and make a difference to people's lives. The work we do is invaluable and to be able to help people everyday is an amazing feeling. We value you and all our staff for the work you do every day so thank you!

Active and caring experience

I enjoy the sensation of freedom and the much more personal experience with patients . It is rewarding for both sides, specifically when leaving the patients and yourself with a smile on your face .

Pros

The package contact, family conciliation .

Cons

the effort journey

29 April 2021
Thank you for your review. This is why we do what we do. Our patients need us and to be able to offer them the best possible service is so rewarding. Thank you for all your hard work.

OutsideClinic is a great place to work. I have been lucky enough to have worked in different departments and am grateful for all the opportunities that have been offered to me. There is office politics, as with any office but I have experienced much worse with previous companies. Since the acquisition, communication has much improved and there is a feel that management are actively listening to staff members. I really enjoy my job and feel like I am making a difference.

Pros

glasses allowance, great manager, lovely people, job satisfaction

Cons

communication hasn't always been great but this is improving.

13 April 2021
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We are glad that you have had great opportunities offered to you. We are really listening to our staff and we hope that, life yourself, other staff members can see the improvements we are making. Thank you for all your hard work.

Great company to work for

The company has a very friendly atmosphere and team spirit. You are expected to work hard and the job can be very busy and demanding, so helps to be well organised, but the results are extremely rewarding when you know you have helped someone who is housebound and vulnerable. There is a great support network and help is always there if you need it.

Pros

Lovely working atmosphere with great colleagues, Regular support for nominated charities, Staff are very well looked after. Staff discounts available

30 March 2021
Thank you for your review. We value our staff and the work they do to help our customers get the eye and ear healthcare that they need. Our line of work is very rewarding - being able to help those that are vulnerable, especially in the current climate. Thank you for all your hard work and for taking the time to leave a review.

A great place to work

A growing company shows how popular it is becoming, and I can honestly say that this is truly a great place to work. Thoroughly rewarding - the management team expect a lot but give a lot back in return, which is the way it should be really. Since COVID, the job security has actually increased, especially now there are many more people out there that need our services due to shielding etc.

Pros

Great team ethic, especially in our department, Good flexibility with hours, Perfect if you don't want to work weekends.

30 March 2021
Thank you for leaving a review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy your role in the team. The company continues to grow within 2021, and we are excited for positive change and growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OutsideClinic. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare OutsideClinic with

Learn about OutsideClinic in popular locations

• OutsideClinic
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?