Owens Group
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

Owens Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom79 reviews

plannerdrivertruckwageshiftbadofficeweek

It is okay for a stop gap

I am sure owens itself is a great company but working for their multi drop contract for Amazon was not great everything you hear about the nightmares of the multidrop drivers is true.

Busy but structured organisation

The support and encouragement from senior management and peers is faultless. The company is still family owned and it's the family values that makes it a good place to work

Pros

Good rate of pay for area. New benefits scheme in place

Cons

Unreliable forklifts (customer owned)

Insights into Owens Group

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Hgv driver

Worked at owens for 5 years out of the Abbey.Only left due to relocationTrucks are decent fleet is mostly modern.Holidays are so easy to get hold of that was a big plus for me. Never got refused them. Work is easy enough u get left alone most of the time. The job is what u make of it..Wages went up to a decent enough levelYou could do a a lot worse than drive for owens.Not perfect but not bad at all.

Pros

Hols. Time off on certain shift patterns

Cons

Well same as them all

Fun

Good pay, you rent a van to do your job so no worries of paying for maintenance, tax or insurance. Brilliant job for younger people. Plenty of ways to earn extra cash especially around Xmas time.

Great people to work with

Larger premises to cover all aspects of the company from warehouse go to class 2 and class 1 all in one area to small at the moment but there could be hope when new depot open s in Cardiff.I would of loved to have been with the company as to see it then

Pros

Great people to work with planner, sand and fellow drivers

Cons

Bridgend yard to small for amount of trailers and units

Just a number

Worked for Owens in different areas for a good while then passed my C+E. Opted for tramping as that’s all that was available but received no communication as to what happens until minutes after my final assessment when I was given a truck and told to drive to Bridgend. I didn’t even have any of my belongings with me as I was naively expecting a bit more guidance and explanation. Needless to say, the level of communication from traffic didn’t improve. Unless that is they want something from you.

Pros

Willing to take on newly qualified drivers

Cons

You have to fight your corner for a life

Dead end

Work your a** off for no reward or recognition. Constantly getting overlooked. Always adding on extra responsibilities for the same amount of money. Recently been on holiday, come back to the system no longer working so whole new way to do things, learnt it all in a day and covered supervisor for a week where it was a struggle and didnt even get a thank you or anything. Management only care when you do something wrong or something they dont like.

Mad place

Some top lads in the Wrexham site. Management are quite poor give you targets once their hit it’s always extended. Always keep your thoughts to yourself as there’s a few snakes in the grass who’ll be straight in the office. Work is straightforward but can be given unrealistic targets but that’s fine as they want targets hit. Loads of flies, Maggots in the building on the cat/dog food and some are wet and leaking but it doesn’t matter as long as it’s thrown in the bin and you can smash your target. Target, target and hit your target.Good warehouse manager, good lads on the FL’s apart from 1 who’s a brown nose in the office. 1 co packer left who’s a top lad and the management for co pack could be better with a reshuffle of methods but refuses to listen.

Pros

3 breaks

Cons

Unrealistic targets, Poor Hygiene

Driving Lgv

Used and abused because one has a great work ethic, shame the minority regular hard workers are leaned on for more n more whilst the lazy are left alone to work a fraction of their shifts for full shift pay, day after day and never asked/ told nor expected to do any extra even though they have the time to do !!!!!

Money is good

Don't go unless you want money or your desperate for work as they don't look after warehouse staff and are very quick to blame you for mistakes made and sack you.

Hgv class 2 driver

Colleagues were great same goes to some office staff but management are not the best as they don’t care and if you do something wrong you get screamed at and have sarcasm shouted at you.

Pros

Great yard and driver staff

Cons

Long hours and shouted at

No organisation

Management a disgrace and some office staff speak to you like dirt. It fills a career gap that's about it. I wouldn't look at it as a long term option.

Pros

Going home

General Haulage

It's not a bad job. Most deliveries/collections are decent, that are suitable for artics.Generally OK run. I did have a few problems w some staff but I think they've moved on.Some trucks are tired but they are upgrading them all eventually.

Really good company to work for

It’s easy work and doing general haulage curtainsider work, you have lots of variety. Yes, sometimes you get the same stuff to transport but there’s lots of different loads you carry so it remains interesting

Back stabbers

Drivers are a good bunch of people, office staff will stitch up up in a heartbeat, management will stab you in the back and will pretend to be your mate. Wages 50% of the time wrong, if you refuse a job your blacklisted for s**t jobs. Kiss ar**s get the best runs.

Pros

Drivers

Cons

Management/office staff.

One of the best company's i have worked for

I can only speak as i find, and i cannot praise the company enough, i have been supported through my 3 years with the company.I have made many friends and on a whole the company have a great workforce.Culture is improving, and we have people at the top who want sustainable change, and Owens to be even greater than currently.They are focused on continual improvement, and are a very loyal family.My role can be very challenging at times and like all roles, it sometimes gets you down, but my colleagues always seem to know what to day at the right time to lift me once more.

Pros

Trust, and valued.

Cons

The hours can be long, and it is a demanding role.

Filthy trucks. Backward office staff

Don’t even bother to drive for Owens, unless you’ve given up on life and have nothing else to do. The office staff are rude, obnoxious, unprofessional, constantly smoking. The trucks look like they’ve been dipped in a sewerage works. They’re never cleaned. Just an awful working experience.

Overworked poorly run

Stay well away you empty four trailers before loading your van Thay got no loading team so drivers got to do it overworked poorly run say no more

Pros

Overworked

Cons

Overworked

Progresive family business

My working days were long but rewarding. being able to support people to develop them self along with implementing better access to information to support individual growth, the personal challenges that I came across was moving from a corporate background with set budgets, to a very large family-owned business, with strong family values and working ethos.

Decent

Work with them and you will be supported.Was taken on as a new pass class 1 driver/tramper and sent out w another driver on locals the 1st week. 2nd week on my own on locals. Then away all week on my own 3rd week, once they checked I felt comfortable to do so.If you do make a mistake, so long as you're upfront about it, they treat u respectfully. Have a hissy fit ot try to hide it and you'll be shown the door.Most of the other drivers are friendly, helpful and supportive.

Pros

Variety of work. Plenty of it. Trusted to get on with job.

Cons

Units not the cleanest., Sometimes have to wait on a unit., Have to empty unit at the end of the week., Re-load a few days later., The units are used on days off and belongings have gone missing.

s h i t e

.management are knobs sorry to say tried in everyway to satisfy but always wanted more. Ok when it was BTS as all were top lads... but slowly but surely they all left 1 by 1 Shambles...................................................................................

Pros

non

Cons

15 hours yes i can...... you got the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Owens Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement