Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Found 1,789 reviews matching the search
Working alongside other caring people makes the day go quickly.You learn shop floor procedures and processes to enable you to look for paid work in the future.
Pros
Expenses for travel are repaid.
Cons
Sometimes donations can litterally be rubbish.
Working at Oxfam as a volunteer presents challenges and offers you great experience, whether that is retail related or website management related etc.Everyone is very friendly and similarly minded in helping out for the cause. There is always something to do and a way to keep busy.
Pros
Work experience
Days typically spent, facilitating volunteers to achieve the daily tasks they need to to ensure the shop is open, stocked and financially viable raising income so the charity can achieve its goals,Management structure is typically one paid part time manager in the shop, With volunteers in assistant manager, and other positions,Workplace culture is all about the goals of the charity, it can be a bit slow to react to challenges, due to the focus on accountability about donor donations .
Pros
Working in a great team environment
Cons
Not enough hours
It gave me great pleasure to work here ‘it not only help me to gain experience and skills but also confidence in facing the customers .I can only inspire people to buy more and more second hand things at oxfam so that they can raise their funding amount .and in the end I would suggest people not to buy with the intention of cheap or expensive but spent for the cause of charityThanks
A great place to work as a volunteer. You get lots of responsibility and chance to try new things such as dressing the windows. The customers at Oxfam are ever so friendly and you get to know them and they trust the shop staff to help them. The Oxfam shop has a good atmosphere but some customers think that the payback from Gift Aid goes into the staff when most of the assistants are unpaid volunteers and GA is of direct benefit to Oxfam the wider charity. Best thing was selecting music to play while the customers browsed.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Issues with status as Charity shop selling expensive items.
Ridiculous expectations and targets. Not listened to, not appreciated and miss managed. The only good thing was the volunteers and even they are taken for advantage of.
Pros
The volunteers
Cons
Too many to list.
The higher management positions at head office change constantly so guidance about what is required changes roughly every 6 months or so. There is no consistency of message. A great deal of 'politicking at area and ops management level. Getting ahead can depend on who you know. Gets tiresome very quickly.
Pros
Working to support the less well off around the world
Cons
40-50 hours not uncommon
Coming from the hospitality industry, Oxfam was a big change and unlike any previous jobs I’ve held. But it turned out to be one of my best work experiences. The staff are very friendly and helpful from the off, inclusive of every member of the team and want to help you excel further in the company (if you so wish). Yes, it’s challenging. But meeting interesting people all day, everyday; venturing to new locations and helping spread awareness of world crises is well worth it...don’t you think?
Pros
Community, Support, Occasional free lunch, Fun, Purposeful, Double Pay (Sundays)
Cons
Some long hours, Unpredictability
They expect more than you can give and never reward for your effort. I witnessed racist remarks and bullying on a daily basis. You tread on eggshells as you fear you will be involved in the next argument.
Pros
Pay per hour is good but no overtime pay but they expect you to work
Cons
Too many to mention
I volunteered in Oxfam and it was great. Everyone was patient and kind learnt a lot about patience and hard work. I discovered the skills to quickly adapt to certain situations due to the multiple roles given to me when short on staff, however it was a great experience.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Oxfam?
Friendly and warm environment with a wide variety of ages and ethnicities to expand your open mindedness to change and new people. Good learning experience.
Pros
Great for becoming open minded and picking up new skills
Cons
Some customers take advantage of the prices, ask for lower
I love working at oxfam friendly people I am helpful caring I am good at my work I work really hard on the till it helps people who are really poor and need water and food and clothes 9
I think it is a good way of getting retail experience. You don’t get paid as it is volunteering but you get paid for the food and travel expenses. There are many things you have to deal with but the managers are really friendly and are always ready to help you. Colleagues that I worked with are all very nice. An amazing place to work with and great people too.
Pros
Retail experience, great environment, great people and managers
Cons
Not paid
This was an okay place too work at and they treated us quite well however it was voulenteeeing so I would like to look for a paid job in the future thanks
Bad
Good
I really enjoyed my time at Oxfam as I felt very welcome. If I ever needed help there was always someone there to help me and I felt very comfortable asking whoever was there. I had fun and I learn a lot of basic things.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Repetitive
I really enjoyed my time volunteering with oxfam, the people both staff and customers are lovely and it’s not high stress work at all. It’s also a great place to start off if you’re looking to go into charity work.
Pros
Cons
CEOs
Gave me the confidence in customer interaction that I lacked previously, as well as good experience in stock checking, organising, etc. The staff were friendly and a pleasure to work with.
Lovely place to volunteer, and a good place to gain work experience in retail. Working in one of their bookshops taught me so much about retail in general, along with how to value older books and their other volunteers are all lovely people.Pretty much able to volunteer whenever I liked.
Good place to gain experience of selling Used, preowned items online . Aldo writing inventory after intense research & posting it live @) Organise postage and packaging to customer using online Royal Mail business accounts. Fantastic skill to learn - issue no location for job skill on Anglesey-north Wales !!!!
Pros
They pay approximately 5.00 for lunch @)
Cons
No pay-As voluntary (No job offer with oxfam)
The work load was stressful. Having to juggle 80 different jobs at once The Team were okay and we had a good laugh. There was one person who did out of order behaviour and the store manager refused to deal with it even when I raised my concerns
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Not Listened to
Conclusive was the experience n I have worked on various projects with Oxfam throughout the years aswell as volunteering as a shop assistant . All very commendable experience very grateful.
Pros
Experience
  1. Employee reviews