Oxford Bus Company

Oxford Bus Company Employee Reviews

Job overview

Salary is good with good overtime rate. Working hours are very unsociable and very tricky to get days off or swap days ar short notice. Can be stressful when running late

Pressurised job no enjoyment anymore.

Not worth the effort to go to work as no job security pressured to race around no management support. Pay is good but destroys your home life and health with the shift systems.

Pros

Wages are good.

Cons

Shift system

Excellent salary and benefits

Most of the fleet are new vehicles, there's plenty of training opportunities to progress within the company. The company also have an agreement where you can get discounts at multiple high Street retailers.

Pros

Salary, discounts

Cons

Shift work

Friendly and helpful OH and HR staff

While they do have a culture of keeping employees that are already employed and are sometimes reluctant to hire new people for roles, the general atmosphere, way of working and treatment of employees was excellent.

Good company

Good company to work for, trading provided, uniform, pension, shopping vouchers, many perks, great working with general public, working individually and as a team.

Pros

Variety

Cons

Unsocialable hours

Will lie

Management will tell you what you want to hear to keep you quiet with no intention of following up. Very disconnected between lower paid staff and higher management

Unsociable working hours & shifts

The management are totally ignorant, shifts can be long & with unsociable hours. The wages aren’t that good for the unsociable hours & long shifts. There’s no on-site parking at the bus depot between specific hours

Great staff, horrible managemenr

Money is great, but management are back stabbing, lying people. Unsociable hours, enforced overtime, no staff care, and if you go sick they punish you for it.

Driver Barton/ Kidlington

Good job varied passengers and a good laugh with some passengers which always made the day enjoyable. Work colleagues are great guys and gals was always backing each other up and was helpful. Management when first joined was brilliant as most had driven buses and coaches and knew the difficulties. The new breed of management work on fear and worker management is now a them and us culture which makes the job more stressful many drivers will say your in the wrong the moment you leave your home for work. the hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult passengers and being abused verbally by them but luckily many passengers are supportive of the drivers. If you like your nights out not a job for you as social life goes down the pan. Good pay, good benefits. I left due to illness.

Poor moral

Very poorly and uncaring management. More concerned about profit than taking care of their drivers and customers. This is a very.short sighted approach to running a company.

Pros

Free travel card.

Cons

Everything else.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Oxford Bus Company?

good money for drivers

OBC were a good employer. The buses were fine and the money good. High standards but if you got on with your work you were pretty much left alone. I would recommend them as an employer.

Pros

Good money

Cons

some of the shifts were brutal

Interesting work enviroment.

When I first joined Oxford Bus Company, it was a new direction for me and I was thrilled at the new career move, it was a great job and you were meeting loads of interesting and varied people on a daily basis and learning new skills on customer service, when dealing with members of the public. The management made so many changes to the way we were allowed to work, that it made our jobs, a lot harder which also affected the workplace morale. One of the hardest parts of the job, was the shift pattern, one week you would be getting up at 3am because you were driving the first bus out at 04:30am and the next week, you were finishing at 01:45am and then having to pay in your days takings before you got to go home, this made for a long day. The wages were above average though and paid on a weekly basis which was I feel, one of the biggest benefits in the end.

Pros

Good friendly work collegues, knowing what I was doing for a year+

Cons

Shift pattern, Allocated holidays.

To many long days

Very little help. Bad management at the highest level some of the lower ones are terrible back stabbers. Far to many long days and very unlikely to get time off if needed eg, Drs appointment. The people i worked with were great but the rest of the job left a lot to be desired, including the vehicles. It's a Sunday to Saturday operation and they interpret all the laws in their own favour, don't be taken in by the promise of good wages everything else is appalling.

Pros

Free travel card

Cons

everyday challenging job but worth the money

you will be never bored, you can express your self, learn and develop new skills, lots off amazing personality's you can learn from. you can earn from ÂŁ400 to ÂŁ700 weekly

Pros

free bus pass in the city, Heathrow, Gatwick, London for you and your family

Cons

different shifts

Good company

Good pay, is run a bit too much by the union and needs to make sure it works hard to keep moving forward with the times. The drivers are good at their jobs and are trained on site by the training school which is very good.

A difficult but worthwhile job.

My role was at a concession outside of the Company's main building, however the work was constant and kept me busy all day. From handling inquiries to data entry, everything was done behind the one desk. There were many difficult customers to deal with, especially with this concession being one of the busiest in the UK, but the pay was one of the highest and most profitable to any who needed a part-time job.

Obc

its a generally good place to work if you are the type of person who is able to go to work and forget about all the issues that will arise throughout the day. you can earn reasonably good money but have to be committed to the fact that the weeks can be long and tiresome

Pros

Competative salary

Cons

underappreciated work environment

new experience

very supportive but very strict. learnt alot when i was there. very friendly staff. enjoyed experiecing driving a bus and a coach

Stressful and without reward

Driving a bus is not fun anymore, the management team is unable to engage and motivate their staff. The company performance is going down due to inconsistencies in their application of the company policies and procedures. They use punishment behaviour as a way to creat fear around their workforce through their disciplinary procedures and treating their staff unfairly

Pros

Nice salary, free bus pass and uniform

Cons

long hours, poor management skills

Enjoyable workplace

I thoroughly enjoyed this position however it was only a temporary position and my contract unfortunately came to an end

Good pay, challenging job

Dealing with individual passengers and other road users was the order of each day. A very good pay from a very demanding job. I would say I enjoyed 85% of it. I had to educate myself though trained by the company on customer service on individual situations interpretation. Though singly doing mostly, the management and co-wokers were readily available for help. People possess different personalities which demanded containability from me in offering the service.

Pros

good pay

Cons

mentally straining
  • Oxford Bus Company