Oxford University Press
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Oxford University Press Employee Reviews

United Kingdom62 reviews

Great culture and benefits, but lower salary

Nice people and work environment. Included very good subsidised catering, great pension and a supportive work culture. Local area is expensive and commuting in is difficult.

Lovely people... mostly

The HR Advisor promised me that there was a progressive role as she was retiring but then she changed her mind. I left a permanent and better paid role to go to OUP - disappointing.The people at OUP are lovely, the offices are lovely. i just felt used.

Insights into Oxford University Press

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Lovely people and good work life balance

OUP offers a great work life balance and there are so many lovely people who work there. The only problem is the pay, which is very low, especially considering it is based in Oxford.

Productive and nice people in open plant very helpful.

8am - 5pmRoyalties and analytics on historical HR financial journal entries relating to Salaries and fringe benefits and solving E-Filing outstanding returns including VAT.Had a tax manager that regularly followed up on progress and objectives. He was very hands on and supportive. Understanding the business as it was new to me.Social events once a quarter.

Productive and fun wiorkplace

Fantastic experience. I would heartily recommend my experience in this historic company. Why not try and apply for a position there? What have youbto lose. The best i have ever had.

Pros

Discount

Interesting place to work

I loved my job, and to be honest I wish I hadn't left. However I needed more hours which they couldn't offer me at the time I was there. Looking at similar roles in the area, the pay is on the low side of what to expect but it's certainly not the lowest. Would I work there again? Yes.

Pros

Working from home. Great team leader. Lovely people. Comprehensive training.

Cons

Pay on the low side.

Definitely best avoided

Few good things to say unfortunately. Very aggressive corporate outlook with a rather cold focus solely on the profit which can be made (and rest assured, this company makes a ton of money). Little regard for staff and the communications from senior management and HR are hopelessly out of touch with the day-to-day reality of work. Much of the time is spent fire-fighting the problems brought on by constant cost-cutting and poor decisions making.The perks of the on-site gym (now gone) and pension (now seriously eroded) mean that this company has little going for it any more.

Pros

Good people, nice building

Cons

Soulless corporate environment, charity status smoke-screen, very poor and disinterested senior leadership, clueless HR department.

A changing organisation

OUP was and has been an incredible place to work, particularly the GCS office. The direction it’s now going (printing in China) is disappointing to say the least. Managers are luck of the draw as to the support and care you receive. The people are great, my job is varied and challenging but is rapidly changing to be less about customer care and the original values of the press. The company is so big, with thousands of employees in Oxford alone, meaning thousands of different types of jobs in different departments - so this review is purely based on a particular role and experience. Overall OUP is maintaining its status as an institution, I just hope this doesn’t change.

Pros

The building, the people, travel to work scheme, pension, great organisation in genera

Cons

Policies need to be foundational, and not manager discretion.

Teamwork friendship

Great company to work for and lovely work friendships made. Job itself helping schools get the best for their students for a great education. Busy at times with quotes and orders but enjoyed being busy.

Pros

Term.time

Cons

Repetitive

Very poor management

Poor management,watching people but they like chatting,big favouritism there, some managers really stupid,they don't deserve Money what they get,very poor training,I worked there five years,waste time.

Pros

Morning shifts

Cons

Everything else

Productive& Busy working environment

Oxford University Press a great place to be working. Can be fast paced and competitive at times. Changes happening all the time,lots of systems to work with. Have learnt a lot on the Structural side of the Business. Fast paced. Lovely building and colleagues Lots of training given and lots of meeting to attend

Great location but unexciting place to work

In general working for OUP is ok. But it is difficult to advance in your career unless you go up the ladder via interviews. It tends to be an slow moving environment. And as well quite bureaucratic.

Warehouse operative

Very good company they gave me opportunities than other companies .I worked in inventory and enjoyed it where I work now no progression managers very nasty but this company is very fair

Temporary

What can I say but this is the best job I have ever had since leaving school. Loved the job I was doing with the most amazing people. The hours were perfect and the location was also perfect. Also the agency I was with for this (Venn Group) were amazing too.

Don't bother

Employees with bullish attitudes, dated and dull working environment, lack of collaboration between teams, dirty toilets, reception staff can be rude, difficult to get meetings run on time.

Pros

Close walk to Oxford Town Centre

Cons

Office working environment lacks lusture

Excellent company, low career opportunities

Good work life balance with term time role and all school holidays off. Large territory to manage on your own. Supportive managers but targets are unfairly split amongst team members.

Pros

Broadband and lunch benefit

Cons

Long driving hours in term time

Productive & fun place to work

Productive & fun place to work with good attention to staff wellbeing in terms of H&S work station comfort and career progression (if desired). Great staff benefits including a subsidised canteen.

Dull

Engaging with OUP employees can be a challenge as they can be rude and quick to feel under attack. There is a lack of joined up business processes. On the other hand OUP has an interesting history. The Jericho office is within walking distance to oxford city centre.

Pros

Near to Oxford City Centre

Cons

No Parking onsite

productive

A typical day would be quite easy-going. handling books and files transferring from one place to another. filing and logging information onto a computer.

Pros

breaks whenever with a lunch

Wonderful enviroment

A truly driven and passionate team with great management. The company is behind technologically but is making great progress without disturbing those internal and external.

Relaxed environment but no career progression

Relaxed environment, friendly colleagues and management but no career progression or incredibly limited. Very slow procedures and highly hierarchical structure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxford University Press. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement