OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Oxfordshire CC was going through a big transformation and change programme which impacted all employees and the structure and shape of the organisation.
Pros
Working conditions and collaboration
Cons
Local government restrictions
It started well, it was organised and I was provided with everything I needed and a fairly generous induction period. But It became clear that much of it was a box ticking exercise, and I was criticised and my mistakes were meticulously catalogued. My manager did not believe in praising her supervisees for 'just doing their job'. There was a lack of appreciation and humanity in the team I worked for, people in the team were afraid to speak up. The work load was heavy, and the only benefit was a decent salary. I know not all the teams are like this, it comes down to the specific management of each team and the management culture of the organisation requires change.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Sink or swim, box ticking culture.
Good work environment but requires more stable job contracts for employees. Short contracts do not provide a stable work environment for the employees and business. Management needs to provide more support for employees.
Pros
Social work environment
Cons
short work contract. Management do not engage employees effectively in business decision making
Not a great council to work for, management culture is shocking, they use people and step on them for their own gain forgetting that their purpose. In my now 15 yr career I have never worked for a council again following my experience. Management needed stripping the culture has not changed from close source feedback it’s literally dog eat dog mentality
Pros
Cons
poor mentality
Coming from a performance based commercial background, I found it hard to adjust to the pace that working for a local authority offers. I still reflect on the time at Oxfordshire County Council and would have liked to have made more positive change than I did.
My work with the visual impairment service was the best I have experienced in my career. The provision of support was excellent from both the council, management and co-workers and it was great to be able to contribute my experience to the development of the visual impairment service. More than anything was that despite having, for personal reasons, resigned my position, my work has been greatly appreciated by both management, schools, parents and children and young people.
Pros
Excellent continual professional development.
Cons
None!
The work is demanding role because of clients worked with, but work is never easy at Social services, but staff do their best for the clients, and the team.
High tier management, permitted bullying within the team, causing many colleagues to fall ill, or end up with anxiety and other issues. When bullying has been seen, proven and noted to HR, senior staff still sided with the perpetrator.
I work with a great team who supports each other, the atmosphere is pleasant and we have great Management support. The job role is varied and on a weekly rota
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
I worked there for 10 years it was a nice place to work with good buildings and a good flow of work. I was made redundant during a restructure. This was a shame.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL?
Fast moving, team building, supportive staff, training opportunities, Building a rapport with children while safeguarding and building on their development skills.
Supportive environment with plenty of opportunities for career progression Good pay and holiday. Friendly co workers. Two days were never the same Many staff work part time to balance their care responsibilities. Monitoring organisations we fund to ensure good quality services was incredibly interesting
I enjoyed working in Oxfordshire and worked in a school where the Headteacher and staff supported one another. We strived to improve the learning and teaching within our school and used the Creative Curriculum to enable the children to gain knowledge and skills using different themes that provided purposeful learning. We were able to attend different subject training.
At the time of employment the contract was run by Carillon. And we all know what happened to them Management was very poor from the start just had to leave as it was so frustrating
I am really enjoying working at OCC currently and would like to stay but sadly the role I am in is temporary. The work is varied and interesting and the team that I work alongside are lovely. Working from home once/twice a week is great
Providing services for the residents of Oxfordshire. Working at Speedwell house the location is very central to Oxford. There is access to company pool cars.
The current managers in my area are all general managers with no knowledge of the business area. They promote their friends, accidently make said friends pernament without ever having to apply for a role. Too many managers, the actual workers who deliver the services are struggling.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Managers out of touch with what we can deliver with staff level, no promotions, no JD
Felt secure being employed by the Council and pay was always accurate. Staff were friendly and professional. Was once supported by a literacy expert who helped with designing resources and supporting literacy across the school.
There are lots of great people doing fantastic work under difficult circumstances with budget pressures. I have been trusted to do work with autonomy since day one and felt supported throughout.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Lack of funds
Great staff group, management style not what I have been used to. I was only employed there for 4 weeks so cannot really comment as to the information you are requesting.
Self scrutiny is a good thing. A complicated place to fit into, if one is on a temporary contract. A fantastic experience if one is a quick learner. Agile working is the most enjoyable part of the job. Time management is a key skill that I have improved, in addition to learning a tremendous amount about a new area.
Pros
Agile Working