P&O Ferries

P&O Ferries Employee Reviews

I liked working here.

I was on a temporary contract on board. I made a lot of friends and the long hours went very fast. Was always doing something new. There are particular areas that I would prefer to work in, but I feel that is the same for any job.

Pros

Decent pay and free meals on board

Cons

Long hours but made easier by who you’re on shift with

I did this job for 20 years and loved it in the beginning when I was a young girl with no responsibilities but having a family made it hard for me to find the work/life balance as long shifts and time away from my family were hard! Working at sea can be fun but also stressful during busy periods, a typical day during summer would see every trip take over 2000 passengers and whatever area you worked in was constant for the 90 minute journey! Also working at sea isn’t great during rough weather, shifts would always end up being longer than 13.5 hours! I did a 36 hour shift once because of bad weather!

Pros

Discount, 3 meals a day, uniform

Cons

Long hours, bad management

Fantastic training

The chance to succed is there for everyone if you want it. The training is phenomenal whether in saving lives at sea, staff management, new procedures or whatever.I was always encouraged and helped by all of my bosses in my quest to better myself.If "duty free" hadn't have been wrongly stopped by the EU i would probably still be working there now. The wages were, whilst not earth shattering, far better than at its competitor's , who still haven't caught up today.If i was twenty years younger i would go back tomorrow.

Pros

Free uniform, lunches. Great training. Loads of time off.

Cons

Working at sea in rough weather can be tough.

Terrible company to work for

This company offers you absolutely No support should you need it. With p&o you are not given help for problems and only considered a number at the most!

Great atmosphere

Friendly helpful and great staff members. Training is a really good experience and teach you alot about what life will be at sea. Onboard management are respectful and helpful.

Pros

Food and drinks supplied

Cons

weak management. bullying culture from some crew

it does not matter how hard you work, it's if your face fits. management either do not want to know or listen then no action. very little to no support.

Pros

time off

Cons

bullying, and no action by management

Fraca

Empresa onde trabalha 60 dias sem um dia de descanso 5 a 6 horas a dormir por dia muito mal pago. 3 semana em casa enquanto os ingleses 15 dias na embarcação 15 dias em casa uma escravatura...

Pros

Aprendizagem a vários níveis experiências profissionais

Cons

Muitas horas de trabalho sem um dia de descanso

Difficult

A tough place to work very disjointed and blame culture was very prominent, wouldn't recommend there was a high level of stress given the level of the job that I was undertaking. Interaction with other departments was generally good it wasn't a nice place to work a lot of the time.

Pros

Good company benefits

Cons

High levels of stress

Ambiente competitivo e duro mas bem pago

A selecção de funcionarios para o contrato Inglês não é justa... Infelizmente a impresa não valoriza os funcionarios com anos de casa . Investe bastante na formação dos funcionarios e apende se a ser profissional . Bom para ganhar dinheiro mas não para investir como carreira.

Good for short periods

Great place to work for occasional periods. Very full on work as having to work everyday you are contracted to be on the ship. Great staff onboard and lots of information at hand should it be required.

Pros

Food & accommodation Provided

Cons

Working every day

Contact Centre Agent

A typical work day is relaxed and fun with the opportunity to talk to many varied customers. I have learn many new computer systems as well as how to hand difficult calls and how to engage in conversation.

Good to work for

everyone at P&O is easy to get along with, The management are all good and easy to talk too! the training is fun and with lots of opportunity to go further within the company

Good company good people just poorly managed

Good company people are good team the management are nit good don’t have people skill or realise people need a work life balance. They don’t offer courses for you to progress any further than what they need you todo

Very Good experience

I was Stwardt some years ago... at this time my english knowlage was very bad and i was young...the managers was so helpful with me... Thanks all and the best for all.

fast paced with long hours but good pay

Great job if you are a single person. The crew are great to work with and you build some lifelong friendships. if you are flexible and willing to work hard this is the job for you. The downsides come when you start a family and need a good work/homelife balance. Works for some but not for all.

working life

a long shift with different stresses. very good company to work for and progression is easy. never had a problem with in the team. sometimes the weather can be against you, but thats part and parcel of the weather.

A fast paced environment

During my time at P&O, I was well supported by management, was given plenty of opportunities to further my knowledge with Microsoft Office, and I felt comfortable and happy at work.

Poor

This is a company that has a culture of if your face fits no matter how hard you work it also is a place where bullying is riff not a good place to work

If you like plans rather than action

Not a bad place to work. Face fits type culture, Good pay for remedial tasks. [shore based status] Opportunities to express opinions. Little in the way of job satisfaction

Great job, great crew, long hours

I really enjoy working for P&O. I work in all areas on board n enjoy the banter we all have while working in stressful situations. The hours are very long and In the summer periods we don’t have any breaks (apart from half hour meal breaks which are provided free) . Zero hour contracts beware as the winter periods are sometimes bleak and there is no work for months due to the ships going on refit.

A great first job for those not afraid of hard work

I started here when I was 18. And left 7 years later. It was so much fun and you spend a lot of time with your shipmates so become a massive family, often more time working than you spend at home with your friends and family. This job taught me so many life skills and evacuation/emergency procedures. The experience gained from my time here has greatly impacted my skill base allowing me more opportunities should i wish to persue them. Only changed my job because it no longer beneficial to me and my growing family. The pay is pretty decent for the job you do. however can be very long hours. A standard working day is 13.5 hours long (not including delays due to extreme weather, strike action and various other reasons for being late) my longest shift was 21 hours when in rough weather they shut the port and we were bobbing around outside for many many hours. Those who get sea sick - need not apply. You're only allowed 3 absences in a year. i am aware of people who lost their job because they were always getting off because of sea sickness. You get free food and drinks, lots of banter with your colleagues, management is pretty good too - they looked after me when I was off long term. they paid for and arranged private therapy, and regular check-up's to see my progress.

Pros

Can be a lot of fun. Like being in one big weird family. Union to back you up if needed.

Cons

Hard work. Long hours. Can be stressful in Summer/Ski season

Ask a question about working or interviewing at P&O Ferries. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare P&O Ferries with

• P&O Ferries
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?