Patisserie Valerie
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Patisserie Valerie Employee Reviews

United Kingdom236 reviews

Poor management

Management is very poor, they dont know what to do and once it gets busy and stressful they get overwhelmed and start tunning like headless chickens and its really unfair for the staff

Pros

Free food

Cons

Poor managemeny

Poor workplace

I’ve worked in many places who expect a lot however there was no training, no help, rude staff who have been working at the establishment for way too long. The hygiene was terrible.

Cons

Long hours, no communication, no free lunch

The status is all complicated

If you like working in a small and needing renovation kitchen with old equipment, then you are welcome. But be prepared that the working time will constantly change, both in the direction of reduction and increase. And during busy times, you will always have stress. And yes, you almost never have a day off on the weekend.

Pros

good restaurant location

Cons

poor management

Worst job I've ever had

When I first saw the job advert I immediately applied and thought this job is perfect for me as I have the required skills. First day I was "trained" and told to take my time with icing cakes and not rush, but make them look good. By the next day, I was told I'm not doing a good job by another coworker, when I was no where near the cakes that she complained about, to management and so I got moved to finishing station without them even listening to me. Coworkers are two-faced, backstabbers. The environment is highly toxic. The manager is always rushing around and never listens to what you say. I wanted to move my shift from a Tuesday to a Saturday just for the one week and he put me down for EVERY week, and this affects the pay because they don't even check when you clock in for work. Also, their hygiene is appalling.

Cons

Toxic environment

Productive workplace

I worked for PV for nearly 2 years. The job was hard & stressful at times, at the chopping & changing of ideas with the management team drove me nuts on many occasions! Especially during the switch-over after Feb 2019. But I had the greatest store managers, the most supportive team and despite not being my dream job and being tricky at times, I enjoyed going to work with such amazing people. The pay could have been better, but I was appreciated within our little store and that made the bad pay and the stress ok.

Not a good place

Late wages at least 3 times .closed shop no warning did not pay anyone plus never paid pension, do not recommend working their My colleagues were really nice

Pros

Nice cakes

Cons

Always doing other people's shift

Challenging and rewarding

I worked for Patisserie Valerie for 5 years. Hired externally for an Assistant Manager role to which I was given my store own store only 6 months later.Extremely challenging but equally rewarding. One of the best bonus schemes I have ever worked with. I also had annual pay increases based on performance. Any overtime (coming in on days off) was further always paid out. I found the company always willing to promote and develop committed team members. I had the pleasure of working with a great team both front and back of house. My operations manager was extremely helpful; was always available if had any queries or issues. I learnt an incredible amount over my many years there from cost management to health and safety to developing and training members of staff.Some days were tough but expected in a fast paced city centre restaurant especially on weekends. Cons - Company needs to perhaps modernise and develop its training programme as not enough time is given in training new recruits. On - going maintenance issues that always took far to long to address/fix.

Pros

Free lunch, great bonus scheme and 50% off cake

Worst place ever if you call yourself a Baker/Pastry Chef

I still have nightmares from working on that basement from 6 to 6 6/7days. No windows, no toilets, no chairs nor a decent meal (if two pieces of bread with a slice of burnt bacon in between can be called meal). Not talking about the lack of H&S regulations nor the fact that there was no control over the stock nor the amount to defrost and bake every day. It was insane the amounts of food throw away every day (I was surviving on stale scones there) and the way they treated the personal was exactly how they treated the customers while I was working there. I was discriminated for my languaje, bullied for my pastry background and being called out for asking for some sort of work ethics. Fast food of pastries.

Pros

Free pastries

Cons

The rest

enjoyed my task in there.

infortunately i moved from there. i wish i could find a place like this. not hard, not easy but was not bad. the enviroment and the work was fun with the other workers.

Pros

some free food, the management was flexible during the metro stike

Cons

not as clean as i like, no shower room or separeted change rooms

Don't bother with this place

If you think it is acceptable for a workplace to force you to work all day 8:30am to 5:30pm without a break or a chance to eat during a busy shift then this is the place for you. Being the only chef at this place after 1 week of starting my job after the other chef quit, I was expected to work around 8 or 9 hours each day without a break which caused me to get rather sick, nausea and vomiting a few times and the fact that I had been off sick 3 times due to being overworked, it was brought up during my 3 month review and was told "That needs to change" like it was MY fault it was happening. Every other member of staff has the option for a break or even a few minutes to sit down and eat something but apparently the chef doesn't get that privilege because customers are always coming in and ordering hot food, if I ever did get the chance to sit down and take a few seconds outside I would either get told to "Get back in because there's always something to do" or a new ticket order would come on. Given the fact that I was the only kitchen member, I was expected on a busy day to cook/prepare up to 10 tickets of food that could be between 1 and 6 covers each, prepare things I needed on top of things I needed for the next day, keep everything clean and tidy AND do pot wash, in what world does anyone think that one person can do all of that on a busy day alone. Long story short, terrible management, long shifts with no breaks, expected to do a 3 person job as 1 person if I could give this place 0 stars, i'd do it twice.

Pros

absolutely nothing

Cons

everything

just don't

No one cares about the staff, they only care about money, terrible management only want to see you fail, wouldn't recommend at all. best of luck to you all

Pros

Cons

everything

Terribly run company

Just awful!! Management is petty, childish and doesn’t know what being professional is. They don’t know how to run kitchens, front of house will pretend they do and that they are better at it than you.

Not great

Previous management team were great, and they supported and helped you advance and better yourself but they left because of the company. The new management pushed people too hard, made it impossible for a good work life balance, with making you work ridiculous hours.

Pros

50% team discount, staff meals with breaks if you got them

Cons

No work life balance, not good management, stressful

Great

Great teamwork, but low pay. I had the chance to work with a great team over there in Ealing. We were always there for each other and there was no problem that we found not sort. Respect to them :)

Pros

Good team

Cons

Not eno

Very poor

The working culture was nonexistent. Hygiene was outrageous. Nothing out of the ordinary to receive sandwiches from the main site bakery with mice droppings in them. London region manager was a bully, she would come in and talk down to people. When all the changes happened she was amongst those to become redundant as many others. If you had a Polish manager they would hire their own people and nobody spoke English which made you feel out of place. I am not surprised at all they went down. Zero control over what happens. No rules or anything to follow.

It was okay

It was okay for a while. Not enough hours to go around. Communication is bad between staff and managers. Head office do not know what they doing. Not enough pay for amount of work

Doesn't worth

Bad management, stressful work environment due to shortage of stuff, poorly payment. Most of the fellows were easygoing and had fun during the shifts.

Use to be great

Was a great place to work before we went into administration New owners destroyed the place hundreds of us workers made redundant without being offered places at the remaining factories.

Waitress/runner

I was taking food and drink to tables and also cleaned around when needed Always worked over if needed also. When I first started I was on pot Wash to help in the kitchen and also now and then had to clean the toilets to keep them looking clean.

Do not apply

Silly hours. Pressured working environment. Stressful shifts. Monotone. Get told when you’re allowed to go on a break, even if you’re not hungry you need to go at the allocated time otherwise you won’t have a break

Poor management and care for staff.

Had to wait two months AFTER I got left to get paid, as my hours weren’t being put onto the system and the manager didn’t care to do anything about me not getting paid. I had to sort it out myself with upper management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patisserie Valerie. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement